• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2008 List Going? (1 Viewer)

from thursday at Venus Pool

82. Green Woodpecker

My list is dismally low... i've only been out of the county once, and that was to Staffs. I hope the good birds stick around in Norfolk till mid February!!!

I've done a little birding over the last 2 weeks. New birds:

128. Bohemian Waxwing
129. Great Gray Owl (awesome bird - photos at www.flickr.com/photos/nightjar)
130. Williamson's Sapsucker (saw on 3rd try, cracking male, 2nd county record)
131. Golden Eagle
132. Gray Partridge

All except the Great Gray Owl have been in Washington so far. This is definitely my best start to a year.

A morning's birding around Slapton/Kingsbridge in south Devon added...
115. Kittiwake
116. Fulmar
117. Velvet Scoter
118. Eider
119. Ruddy Duck
120. Greenshank
121. Snipe
122. Cattle Egret (5 of them)

Michael, how hard was it to find a Bohemian Waxwing? I have missed then both times I have been up to Minnesota in January (around Duluth).

Drove to southern Indiana to look for a Pale-bellied Brant which has been present for a week or so. I saw my target (which was a lifer), as well as two other species of birds, so my Year List is now up to 96.

94. Snow Goose
95. Pale-bellied Brant
96. Killdeer

Dave

A few more this weekend with Cannock Chase on sat and Portland and the Fleet on sun:

133: Great Grey Shrike
134: Shag
135: Gannet
136: Fulmar
137: Balearic Shearwater
138: Razorbill
139: Guillemot
140: Kittiwake
141: Purple Sandpiper
142: Red-breasted Merganser
143: Turnstone
144: Sanderling
145: Ringed Plover
146: Long-tailed Duck
147: Black-necked Grebe
148: Black-throated Diver
149: Common Scoter
150: Mediterranean Gull
151: Dark-bellied Brent
152: Pale-bellied Brent
153: Black Brant
154: Long-billed Dowitcher

Good day in southeast Texas

Friday moved my list to 101 with a Brown-headed Cowbird on our feeders.

A weekend trip to Sheldon Reservoir, Anahuac, Bolivar and Galveston added 28 more species. It was particularly nice to add a wide range of birds on one trip, including:

Red-shouldered Hawk & Anhinga (Sheldon)
Little Brown Heron (Anahuac)
Brown & White Pelicans, American Oystercatcher and Black Skimmer (Rollover)
Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot and Long-billed Curlew (Bolivar Beach)
Ruddy Duck, Black-crowned Night Heron and Gray Catbird (Galveston).

Jeff

A friend and I birded Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge this morning and saw only about five species of birds because of the dense fog. The fog did not dissipate until after lunch. Then we began to see quite a few birds.

70. Lincoln's Sparrow (a single bird)
71. Tundra Swan (x4), in with 75 Trumpeter Swans
72. Sandhill Crane (a pair) they seem to have become permanent residents here, not going south for the winter months!
73. Northern Pintail (two males and a female)
74. American Coot (a lone bird)
75. American Wigeon (a pair)

Michael, how hard was it to find a Bohemian Waxwing? I have missed then both times I have been up to Minnesota in January (around Duluth).

Bohemian's are really pretty easy to find in this area in the winter. Large flocks roam around, and it's often hard to spend a day out and around without seeing some. They are often very easy to find in the small farming towns in eastern Washington. I've seen several flocks this year ranging from 40 birds to around 300 birds. Come out here sometime and I'll show you some! :t:

Btw, no new birds to report for me right now.

This morning I went on a birding outing that was part of an eagle festival weekend, and during the outing I added another bird to my Year List, which is now up to 97.

97. American Herring Gull

Dave

This morning before participating as a leader in a local eagle festival, I got some birding in, and added a new bird to my Year List, which is now at 98.

98. Barred Owl

Dave

A drive around Worcestershire taking in the Wyre Forest, Grimley New Workings, Kemerton lake NR and lastly Upton Warren got me 4 new ticks.

146. Dipper
147. Green Sandpiper
148. Red-crested Pochard
149. Bittern.

The one frustrating part of the day is when I heard at least three different Cetti's at Upton Warren, two of them right by me, and yet not once did I get even as much of a glimpse of the elusive little blighter's.

John

Two More

130. Cinnamon Teal on Longenbaugh Road
131. Brown Creeper in Spring Creek Park, Tomball.

I was really pleased to find the Creeper because it's only the third I've seen in over ten years of birding in California and Texas.

Last thursday i picked up:

83. Grey Wagtail

Sunday brought me five new year birds and three lifers:

84. Kingfisher
85. Slavonian Grebe
86. Long eared Owl
87. Skylark
88. Great Grey Shrike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back