• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope harness (1 Viewer)

SueRob

Hi. Does anyone out there use a harness for their scope and tripod? Currently I use an Optech strap which is fine, as straps go, but I feel I'd like to try a harness to carry the scope and tripod rucksack style, in order to distribute the weight more evenly (and save me pore ole back!)
I'd be interested in any info - I know these things exist 'cos I've seen them. Pity I didn't have enough gumption to quiz the couple who were sporting the harnesses!
Thanks

Sue

Check the "binocular" section, there are two threads dealing with things that might be of interest.

HI Sue

My wife and I use what I think is the ultimate scope strap - made by a firm (husband and wife team) called MONDELL - the version we use is a 'sam browne' belt style witha quick release clip on the waistband. This clips to the other half of the clip fitted to the tripod. The scope hangs phorizontally at your waist with the weight distributed on you waist and sholders and is very comfortable. It just take light hand control on the tripod to steady it as you walk. When you need to set up it is a fraction of a second before you are extending the legs of the pod and getting on the bird. We walk miles with these and now never move without the tripod and scope - none of those debates about whether it is worth lugging the scope on a long walk.

They didn't have a website last year - we bought them at the Rutland birdfare. The telephone number is 01395 232192 - they are birders and seem to be out birding a lot so it may take a few calls to get through?

Sue,

I can also recommend the Mondell straps,my husband got one a few months ago and thinks it is great.
Delivery was quick as well.

SueRob said:
Hi. Does anyone out there use a harness for their scope and tripod? Currently I use an Optech strap which is fine, as straps go, but I feel I'd like to try a harness to carry the scope and tripod rucksack style, in order to distribute the weight more evenly (and save me pore ole back!)
I'd be interested in any info - I know these things exist 'cos I've seen them. Pity I didn't have enough gumption to quiz the couple who were sporting the harnesses!
Thanks

Sue
There is a thread somewhere on the site that had a discussion of a rucksack type harness, with photo's I believe. I will try to find it!.

alan_rymer said:

Hmmm,...interesting
I wonder if an army surplus assault vest could be modified in the same way? That way you'd have space for carrying gubbins too!
I might look into that!

Got to find something, I've just come back from an hours walk during my lunch-break (with 'scope + tripod) & my back is killing me - again!

Oh...& I forgot to mention that I saw absolutely nothing for my trouble!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back