• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying tripod/scope (1 Viewer)

I like having both hands free while carrying, so I use a strap over my left shoulder with legs pointed forward in shortened or partially shortened positions. That way I can shorten or lengthen the legs while walking. Also this position gives me better control of the legs so I don’t hit anyone if the legs are all the way out because I can just point the legs vertically.

Excellent!

I like having both hands free while carrying, so I use a strap over my left shoulder with legs pointed forward in shortened or partially shortened positions. That way I can shorten or lengthen the legs while walking. Also this position gives me better control of the legs so I don’t hit anyone if the legs are all the way out because I can just point the legs vertically.
Good day,
I would buy such a strap as well. Which one do you recommend for my light weight tripod? How do you attach them on the tripod?

I used to have a cheap tripod for a 60mm scope. In some areas I would ditch the scope under a tree and pick it up at the end. It broke. I now have a manfrotto head on a manfrotto. I put the scope away in my pack but have to carry the tripod around. I will use binoculars one handed and then put the tripod down if I need two hands. One handed with glasses on is a bit tricky at times.

Good day,
I would buy such a strap as well. Which one do you recommend for my light weight tripod? How do you attach them on the tripod?
ReinerBos,

bcskr carries his tripod pretty much in the same way for the same reasons as I did when I used one. I now use a monopod and carry it in the same way. I have two Optech shoulder straps.

One is a "rifle sling" type which has an offset or "chicane" bend in the "sticky" neoprene part of the strap that rests on your shoulder which is more resistant to slipping off sideways than a straight strap, which in most cases allows you to carry it hands-free - although it does tend to slip sideways off ruc sac shoulder straps - or slippery synthetic wind/waterproofs ! One end straps around the tripod centre column, the other has a strap that goes round one of the leg sections. However, it's 10+ year's old and it looks like Optech don't sell it any more. They do however sell a straight shoulder strap version :

Tripod Strap

I also have another Optech strap with a straight shoulder strap. One end has a spring karrabiner-type clip with a swivel which clips to the ring at the top of the monopod (some tripods also have a ring for this) and the other end straps around a lower leg section. However, it looks like that is also nla. but the "straps" on the ends of the Optech tripod strap I have linked to appear to be able to go through a ring as well as strap round a centre column or leg.

Check out the Optech website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back