• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 8.32 v. Swarovision 8.5x42 (2 Viewers)

I'm in my 60's so figured the smaller exit pupil of the 10x32 SV's wouldn't hurt brightness, and I was pleased to find out that usability hasn't suffered at all as a result of the smaller exit pupil. I've spent plenty of test time with the 8.5x42 SV and the 10x42 SV, and have absolutely no issues using my 10x32's for extended birding sessions.

For a smaller glass, the FOV and DOF is terrific on the 10x32 SV's.
John F

Hi.John.nice to hear that you got the new el32 which is much better than old version.
I have read some of you comments.now i am being bothered that i dont know which model im going to choose between el832sv and el1032sv.i think you have tried both and got the right one.so could you help me to make a choice,which model do you recommend.these models are new and just coming out,im living a small city so i can only buy them online without trying them.i would appreciate your opnions and many thanks.
xin

Last edited:
Hi.John.nice to hear that you got the new el32 which is much better than old version.
I have read some of you comments.now i am being bothered that i dont know which model im going to choose between el832sv and el1032sv.i think you have tried both and got the right one.so could you help me to make a choice,which model do you recommend.these models are new and just coming out,im living a small city so i can only buy them online without trying them.i would appreciate your opnions and many thanks.
xin

Hi Jinxin, I've been using my 8x32 around Beijing and Changsha for the last ten days, and I can't find any fault with them. I don't know where you are in China, but remember that a 10x32 binocular will have a narrower field of view, and a darker image. I don't think the extra 2x of magnification compensates for this. At present, the weather in Changsha is quite hazy, so 8x is sufficient magnification anyway, as at a long range (where 10x might be useful), colours and light are dim anyway. At closer ranges, I need all the FOV and light I can get, which the 8x32 delivers. (Yesterday I watched a pair of Paradise Flycatchers with them....beautiful!!!)

Hi Jinxin, I've been using my 8x32 around Beijing and Changsha for the last ten days, and I can't find any fault with them. I don't know where you are in China, but remember that a 10x32 binocular will have a narrower field of view, and a darker image. I don't think the extra 2x of magnification compensates for this. At present, the weather in Changsha is quite hazy, so 8x is sufficient magnification anyway, as at a long range (where 10x might be useful), colours and light are dim anyway. At closer ranges, I need all the FOV and light I can get, which the 8x32 delivers. (Yesterday I watched a pair of Paradise Flycatchers with them....beautiful!!!)

Lovely,Sancho,i have just read your threads,great that you are enjoying your new sv

As you said,10 power can use for longer range and see more details which attract me,1032 also has bigger apparent FOV.but im afraid it is a bit harder to be held steady.so this morning i went to a store and tried other brands,i think 8 power is less shaking,rep said different person choose different what they need.i think both are nice but i use binos for wacthing macth and traveling more than just birding,so i go steadiness and wider FOV rather than magnification, i will buy 832sv.thanks for your rivew and suggestion.

BTW,Im living in Jinan city and I had been working in Ireland for 1 year in Intel in Leixlip,when i lived in Maynooth.very nice and peaceful country really impress me where the wild animals are always fearless to human,i saw waterfowels in canal and rabbit and fox in field,sometimes i saw big swan begging for food with ducks.very nice environment much better than china.summer in ireland is cool and no mosquitos,i was really enjoyed.

Anyway im glad you have a journey in China,I heared Changsha is a nice city but i have never been there,hope you enjoy everything include summer hot,i will share my experience after getting the new sv :t:

It will be August before i get to try the 32 mm SV's! There is a big Bass Pro Shop next to where my eldest son and his family live in Virginia! I'm taking my el 8x32 and se 8x32 with me to compare! If i think they are worth the investment i'm prepared!!! :) My son is into photography he has the new Canon and a lense that cost close to $9000! Yikes, i wish i worked for the government!!! Nobody around here have the SV's yet??? When i spend high dollar i make sure i can test and handle the bino first hand rather than bying on the internet!!! I trust Sancho's opinion but, i just have to handle the binocular first hand!!! :) Bryce...

Where ya been Kevin? If you haven't been using those binoculars during the periods you have been missing here maybe the grease in the focusers dried up?

The hinges on my 10 x 32 EDG I are still nice and tight. Diopter is still good too.

Bob

I hope there's no grease in these focusers (it's not like they're my Yosemites).

I wasn't here because I was "using" my bins to look at birds. Mostly the Swaro. Then a spring switch to FL and EDG gave me the contrast on focuser feel. It's interesting how one adapts (plus there is "best bin ever" newbinitis).

Not sure what it is about the EDG hinges (they do seem to vary from unit to unit).

The Swaro (and the EDG and FL) have pretty much satisfied me especially when I check out the prices of the other new bins ;)

Was out with my SV 8x32 again today, have to report that the focusser is buttery-smooth in both directions.

That either makes me jealous or makes me hopeful.

I didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing myself, but the replacement set of 10x32 SV Travelers I got are perfect focusing - even the rotation pressure is the same in both directions! And no grit!

I really have a feeling that the open bridge design requires very precise machining and assembly of the rear hinge / focuser / diopter parts, and if not perfect will result in what some of us have experienced.

My replacement set was manufactured 6 weeks after my first set that showed slight problems with the focus wheel, so maybe they learned something from the first releases.

John F

I suspected the same. Sometimes getting things into production you find a few issues that just don't crop up when you "hand build" the prototypes. Sometimes it's just settings (if there is an adjustment you discover that Jorgen is using more torque on that friction setting that Frau Brunwald). Same with the EDGs (at least I hope it's the same with the EDGs).

Hi Jinxin, I've been using my 8x32 around Beijing and Changsha for the last ten days, and I can't find any fault with them. I don't know where you are in China, but remember that a 10x32 binocular will have a narrower field of view, and a darker image. I don't think the extra 2x of magnification compensates for this.

One thing to note (if you are a 10x person) is 10x32 often have a wider FOV than equivalent 10x42 (e.g. Swaro EL and Zeiss FL did) so there is a bit of trade off in exit pupil versus width of field.

Last edited:
Hi,sancho,its a great review of both.We have a consensus view that 8.5×42sv is best optically.I get the weired conclusion either that the 0.5 power is not only 0.5 but maybe more nearly one power.I am very curious about this and I don not think the swaro company make a fault but the truth is not only me have noticed this.What so ever I will have a compare of all swarovisions again and buy one of them then throw my old opticron away this week.VERY EXCITED.

I have tried both a lot.Before having a look of them I thought the 10×32sv must be dimmer and it also should be theoretically but when I was looking them I didnt get the difference of bright between two even i had a look of some dark and shadow places.The upgrade on new 10×32sv is better than new 8×32sv in my opinion.I think you may get the same point as mine if you can compare them carefully,I would choose 10×32sv for a wider apparent field view and a higher power,but the 8.5×42sv in on my mind right nowB :)

You pay your money for quality if ihave any issues i send them back, in my experience all makes honour there warranty,i sent a pair of leica binoculars back 3 times in a year and i bought them second hand

xin

I'm very sorry I missed your post - don't know how that happened.

If I lived anywhere but the wide open SW desert, I'm sure I would have gotten the 8x32 SV's. Another consideration for me was wanting the 8.5x42 SV's (which I'll get sometime soon) and just thought the 10x32 and 8.5x42 would make a better combo.

John F
LV NV

I'm very sorry I missed your post - don't know how that happened.

If I lived anywhere but the wide open SW desert, I'm sure I would have gotten the 8x32 SV's. Another consideration for me was wanting the 8.5x42 SV's (which I'll get sometime soon) and just thought the 10x32 and 8.5x42 would make a better combo.

John F
LV NV

Never mind,John.I get the same problem that we cant see any reminders relate to the replies.

In china forum there are 3 guys bought new 1032sv then 2 guys sold their sv 1042 and sv1050,they said 32sv was nearly as good as 42sv and 50sv in optics in a bright condition only visible difference in when its darker.

Sv8542 is the best all around 42mm binos on the markert.The new sv32 is in a shortage here,now Im trying to resist changing my mind to sv8542,I tell myself the sv832 is smaller and lighter and enough for my day use,but I just cant stop thinking of sv8542.I think sometimes we are dragged to an addiction of pursuing the best optics, this could also be a bother.:-C

Xin

Last edited:
Never mind,John.I get the same problem that we cant see any reminders relate to the replies.

In china forum there are 3 guys bought new 1032sv then 2 guys sold their sv 1042 and sv1050,they said 32sv was nearly as good as 42sv and 50sv in optics in a bright condition only visible difference in when its darker.

Sv8542 is the best all around 42mm binos on the markert.The new sv32 is in a shortage here,now Im trying to resist changing my mind to sv8542,I tell myself the sv832 is smaller and lighter and enough for my day use,but I just cant stop thinking of sv8542.I think sometimes we are dragged to an addiction of pursuing the best optics, this could also be a bother.:-C

Xin

You are so correct about the drug known here as bino.

I've gotten to view my 1032 SV next to the 1042 SV. I'll take the 32's thank you very much. Substantially wider FOV, much closer focusing, smaller, almost 1/2 pound lighter. Ok, smaller exit pupil, but that has caused me no problem. Ok, less theoretical light gathering, but the 1032 SV's are pretty amazing with marginal light.

How long is the wait for the 32 SV's in your part of the world. Can you mail order from the USA?

John F

Oh, if you have to settle for the 8.5x42 SV, you might decide later that was a wise choice. The view is simply outstanding (I can not see rolling ball to save my life, and I've been trying for months.)

John F

Hey Sancho, I oculd very easily be tempted by either of these two, so keep me in your thoughts! I have the 8x32 old EL and love it - bought it on a whim and after a while sold my ultravid 8x42 HD as I found I used the baby Swaros 99% of the time.
Cheers
Jonathan

How long is the wait for the 32 SV's in your part of the world. Can you mail order from the USA?

John F

It will be in stock around next Friday,so the wait is going to be nearly 2 weeks.

I thought about buying it from USA but it is inconvenient.When the stuff go through custom inspections of China then it probably gets detained and put on duty.
Im also afraid if the stuff has defects or damaged,it takes too long to be sent back and the price for these binos are same in two countries.But lots of cars and electronic products such as iphone and ipad are much cheaper in USA compare to the rest of the world:eek!:

Xin

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back