• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gitzo 2180 head (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

i have heard several reports, both good and bad things ? but is someone still using this head together with a scope (65mm ?) only for viewing! (not digiscoping) ? anw what are the findings ?

i have heard several reports, both good and bad things ? but is someone still using this head together with a scope (65mm ?) only for viewing! (not digiscoping) ? anw what are the findings ?

I use the 2180 in combination with a Gitzo carbon tripod (GT2341) for my Nikon EDIIIA (60mm). I find the head quite nice. It's fairly smooth with no significant backlash, and most importantly, it's really quite light in weight. However, it's in several ways a compromise - it *does* vibrate somewhat in the wind and even though it's quite smooth, it isn't as smooth as some other (heavier) heads.

Anyhow, even after some pretty extensive use I'm happy with that combination.

Hermann

I use the 2180 in combination with a Gitzo carbon tripod (GT2341) for my Nikon EDIIIA (60mm). I find the head quite nice. It's fairly smooth with no significant backlash, and most importantly, it's really quite light in weight. However, it's in several ways a compromise - it *does* vibrate somewhat in the wind and even though it's quite smooth, it isn't as smooth as some other (heavier) heads.

Anyhow, even after some pretty extensive use I'm happy with that combination.

Hermann
thanks, i have also seen reports from a few people that the panning lock is not so tight so that there is always some movement .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back