• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So How Is Your 2005 List Going (1 Viewer)

My best year yet

286 for the year Including 20 lifers (3 in Lithuania) and 18 British firsts.

I am easing off next year as the cost is getting to me just now. I need to try and save for at least one holiday abroad and driving around the countryside like I do isn't helping me save those pennies.

Reader said:
My best year yet

I need to try and save for at least one holiday abroad and driving around the countryside like I do isn't helping me save those pennies.

Moi aussi John!

I've got a taste for this foreign birding mallarky. Having been to Turkey and Wales and found loads of cracking birds
- in their pukka environments - I wanna go elsewhere. I think the family budget might only stretch to Spain
and a trip on the Pride of Bilbao next year, but i certainly wanna go explore some...

dave...

p.s. there is a point to this post :)

added Hawfinch today, at Ferry Meadows for my Cambs list... 205

Ended at 245 with 3 new ducks at the pond today. This is my first year and not a bad one I think since most of my birding must be done around my 3 jobs and family vacations.

My Oklahoma list is 162 and my local county list is 127.

This was an "off" year for me with only 112 in the ABA area......however, 15 of those were lifers to bring my ABA lifelist total up to 200.

ABA Area-112
Texas-98
Henderson County-70
Local Patch-69

Busted my chops to hit 190 today. I had to go to three widely separated locales, and ended up tallying over 60 species in all, but I pulled it off!

Final birds of the year:

183. Bufflehead (L)
184. Common Merganser
185. Lesser Scaup
186. Eared Grebe
187. Common Goldeneye (L)
188. Redhead
189. Least Bittern (L)
190. Peregrine Falcon

Three lifers on the last day! Here's to 200 species in '06. Happy New Years everyone!

Last edited:
Well, that's it for 2005.......

Final total 186 in the local area......best (not necessarily always rarest, but favourite)birds probably Hume's Warbler, Ring-billed Gull, Sabine's, Leach's, Dotterel, Grey Phalarope, Surf Scoter, every single skua........and Turtle Dove!

Had fun reading all your ups and occasional downs through the year - all the best for 2006.

140 all within a few miles of my home. Not great but reasonably respectable even if it's lacking several really easy birds e.g. GSW, Nuthatch etc.

OK, so I managed to surpass my (totally pointless) target of 1000 species worldwide in a calendar year, with a grand total of 1118 for 2005.

That's me done with listing for the time being!

(BTW UK 2006 list currently on 4 species... I've only experienced around an hour's worth of daylight this year, and that's been in Central London)

I ended the year (after having started my lists only on 11th March), as follows:

World (Life) total: 193
Europe: 111
France: 104
USA: 71
Switzerland: 37
Canada 36

2006 will be my first full year of birdlists.

Chris in France said:
I ended the year (after having started my lists only on 11th March), as follows:

World (Life) total: 193
Europe: 111
France: 104
USA: 71
Switzerland: 37
Canada 36

2006 will be my first full year of birdlists.

Fair enough bird list, but I'm impressed with the country list. :eek!:
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back