• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (2 Viewers)

After three weeks with no new birds, I braved extreme heat and humidity today to catch the beginning of the shorebird migration. Saw seven new birds, bringing my Year List up to 470.

464. Sedge Wren
465. Least Sandpiper
466. Semipalmated Sandpiper
467. Short-billed Dowitcher
468. Stilt Sandpiper
469. Little Blue Heron
470. Baird's Sandpiper

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Snowy Egret and Semipalmated Plover to my Indiana Year List (now up to 192).

It's nice that the "summer doldrums" are coming to an end.

Dave

Papuan birder said:
Hello Tim,

Yes I have noticed by now that these species are the ones you commonly encounter here on the Island, they are all rather common.

Altough with some birdwatching at the slopes of Gunung Sibela recently I have been able to add a few of the uncommon ones.

672. Blue-capped Fruit-dove LIFER
673. White Cockatoo LIFER
674. Cinnamon-bellied Imperial Pigeon LIFER
675. Giant coucal LIFER
676. Flame-breasted Flowerpecker LIFER
677. Paradise crow LIFER
678. Cream-throated white-eye LIFER

With some extensive birding on the eastern slopes of Gunung Sibela recently I have been able to add some rarer ones here on Bacan

679. Standardwing (a female,the displaying male is still left to be found) LIFER
680. Chattering Lory LIFER
681. Moluccan owlet-nightjar LIFER
682. Blue and white Kingfisher LIFER
683. Flame-breasted Flowerpecker LIFER
684. White-streaked Friarbird LIFER
685. Ivory-breasted Pitta LIFER

A few good ones but I have been working really hard to get these on my list and they surely isnt easy to find or common, they are all rare on Bacan with exception of the flowerpecker.

Just added a new lifer to the list (though I don't really keep a year list), Great Crested Flycatcher. Saw a gray bird with a rufous tail and crest perching near my feeder. I went outside for a better look and sure enough there was the yellow belly!

Marsh Harrier today - our third of the year, but the first that's hung around for me!

174 on this year's patch list......another 12 required to equal last year's total.

bird brain said:
222 Garganey.
223 Marsh Sandpiper. Pagham Harbour.

Seemingly missed all target birds in the SE, however saw a good selection of scarcities including Cetti's Warbler, Firecrest, YLGull, and Turtle Dove, as well as said Pelican.

259: Firecrest

Birdbrain did you have the Marsh Sandpiper yesterday???

Papuan birder said:
With some extensive birding on the eastern slopes of Gunung Sibela recently I have been able to add some rarer ones here on Bacan

679. Standardwing (a female,the displaying male is still left to be found) LIFER
680. Chattering Lory LIFER
681. Moluccan owlet-nightjar LIFER
682. Blue and white Kingfisher LIFER
683. Flame-breasted Flowerpecker LIFER
684. White-streaked Friarbird LIFER
685. Ivory-breasted Pitta LIFER

A few good ones but I have been working really hard to get these on my list and they surely isnt easy to find or common, they are all rare on Bacan with exception of the flowerpecker.

Until today the only places I had birded on Bacan was around my house and at the lower slopes of Gunung Sibela, my searches for the roller and standarwing at Gunung Sibela has all failed (well have seen a single female standardwing at G. Sibela, but after more than 10 hours of birding in this area its a poor result) so today I choosed to head out to Bacans eastern peninsula and I knew that there had at least been recent sightings of the roller in a number of logging consessions in this part of the Island.

Most of the logging camps was closed to "outsiders", they couldent care less if I only was intresting in the birds and not in what kind of illegal things they were doing, after a long discusssion with a man which was boss over 3 camps I finally gain access to one of them, well inside the camp you could walk rather free. Altough I had to walk some 30-40 minutes before I got inside some suitable bird habitat.

686. Purple Dollarbird LIFER
687. Standardwing (Finally I got my male, not displaying but still a nice capture)

Well with the roller added I felt that the day had been very sucesfull, the total list ended at 35 species, other rarities such cahttering lory, cockatoo and Moluccan cuckoo-shrike (my first on Bacan) was also seen inside the camp + the forest was not to badly damaged, I found much more suitable bird habitat here then around Gunung Sibela.

Hello Dan no it was on the 31st, Lakenheath for Garganey, and then Pagham for Marsh Sand. Tuesday went for GW Egret but dipped half an hour out :-C

Papuan Birder

Ivory-billed Pitta and Standardwing....

I am 100% gripped and totally jealous. I never got to see the Standarwing due to internal strife on Halmahera. I do aim to see it one day though.

Good luck on the rest of your journey

Tim

This year's sightings

We are missing a few species this year, perhaps because of the dry weather on the prairies in Saskatchewan, Canada. Birds we see now and then but have missed this year are Osprey, Pileated Woodpecker, Oven Bird, Rock Wren, Belted Kingfisher, Cattle Egret, Burrowing Owl. On the plus side, two weeks ago we saw 4 White-faced Ibis which are uncommon in Saskatchewan and also a Dickcissel. We also have more Lark Buntings, Loggerhead Shrikes and Bobolinks close to our place, where we had to drive to find them in previous years. I think our 2006 total is around 198.

This weekend I went to North Carolina to do back-to-back pelagic trips out of Hatteras (Saturday and Sunday). This was my first time doing a pelagic trip off the East Coast. During my trip, I saw 16 new birds, bringing my Year List up to 486. Included among them were six lifers. Lifers are in bold.

471. Peregrine Falcon
472. Laughing Gull
473. Brown-headed Nuthatch
474. Boat-tailed Grackle
475. Great Black-backed Gull
476. White Ibis
477. Fish Crow
478. Tricolored Heron
479. Wilson's Storm-Petrel
480. Black-capped Petrel
481. Audubon's Shearwater
482. Greater Shearwater
483. Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
484. Herald Petrel
485. Magnificent Frigatebird
486. Bridled Tern

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Cory's Shearwater and Glossy Ibis to my ABA Area Year List (now up to 332). The Cory's Shearwater and Bridled Tern were also ABA Area lifers, bringing my ABA Area List up to 616.

Dave

Last edited:
Ah, finally. Some new year birds, the first since May...

This weekend my parents and I went to stay at our cabin upstate and we left Saturday morning. However, this was not before something big and heavy landed on our pine tree in the front yard. I couldn't what it was so I ventured into the living room, where I notcied it was a small hawk. I went and got my camera, and shot two pictures of it. It was a Sharp-Shinned Hawk! My first confirmed Sharpie! Late last year, I had seen another Accipiter species in our yard, but my memory of its field marks wore out and the best I could go with was an Accipiter, so this Saturday's experience was great.

The second bird is a definite lifer, but it's a Catharus thrush, either Bicknell's or Hermit Thrush, so I posted an ID topic to help get a positive ID (I hope...).

The third was an Eastern Kingbird, seen while refueling for the trip home.

68. Sharp-Shinned Hawk
69. Hermit Thrush ***LIFER***
70. Eastern Kingbird

Last edited:
I went to Assateague Island in MD yesterday and looked at a small spot called Skimmer Island in Ocean City, MD. I sure did not see as many birds, this time, that I saw when I went to Assateague Island in June, because the nesting area of the Piping Plovers there was offically closed to the public. I did see my year's first Brown Pelican there and a whole lot more of them on Skimmer Island. Also year's first Royal Tern. My humble year-list is now 118.

Tim Allwood said:
Papuan Birder

Ivory-billed Pitta and Standardwing....

I am 100% gripped and totally jealous. I never got to see the Standarwing due to internal strife on Halmahera. I do aim to see it one day though.

Good luck on the rest of your journey

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes the pitta and standardwing are the best birds seen on Bacan so far + the standardwing was the last paradise bird for me, have seen them all now, I have heard that the situation has been rahter calm on Halmahera recently, you should take the oppurtunity and go and see the standardwing, amazing bird.

Thanks Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back