• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How am I getting on with My new 40D? (Initial impressions) (1 Viewer)

Clarke Robinson

Hi Everyone

Following on from a recent thread, I decided to mention my own observations on my shiny new 40D. I upgraded from a 350D at the weekend. I've only really had 1 proper trip out with the new camera as yet, so thought I'd share my initial impressions. I've still got some things to try (custom dials, liveview, 1.4 Kenko pro on 100-400 are examples).

Bear in mind that all the points are in relation to a 350D upgrade, some of these will be null and void if coming from a 20/30D.

So, after 1 day's trial shooting, I'm very happy with the 40D for the reasons I had hoped. The biggest single difference for me is the machinegun-like 6.5fps. I have to be careful when squeezing that trigger (which also seems more sensitive than the 350). It'll be a real bonus when trying to get the action shots in. As is the faster focus. I tried some gulls in flight with the 100-400, which in the past failed miserably, but found to my surprise that I got some keepers yesterday as the 40D's focus is noticably faster. As others have said, it is also more sensitive which will take some practice, but it seems a big improvement over what I am used to.

The extra 2 megapixels will help for crops I imagine also. Noise at ISO 400 & 800 seems less than on the 350D (though I haven't really pixel-peeped to any extent at this point).

It will take some time for me to get used to the change in ergonomic layout and functions of the 40D, most noticably.....

• On-Off switch - Fiddly on the 40D, will take a lot of getting used to as I could switch on with my trigger finger on the 350.
  • Exposure compensation - I was getting muddled between this setting and flash exp comp for a while, but eventually figured it out.
  • The playback button - I was used to using my right thumb on the 350, and now it's a much bigger stretch as it's much further away due to the big screen.
  • I'm also finding spot-metering quite challenging, resulting in a variation of exposures, but I guess that's down to the learning curve.

The size is great, much more comfy in hand, and I don't have big hands.

The ability to save often used menu options in "My Menu" is very useful too, I've already added a few things in there, eg the Format option as I tend to reformat in-camera after a download. I haven't used any of the 3 custom dials yet, but can see their usefulness and will get something set up for them soon when I figure that part out.

The only real pain during the process was with the Canon software. I used to use the EOS utility software from the 350 to get my pics onto the PC, and have had real problems getting it to work with the 40D. Even after a full uninstall of all canon software and reinstall of the new software that came with the 40D, I can't get the camera window software to recognise either camera. That's a pain. My only workaround was to buy a CF cardreader (which I assume a lot of you do anyway). I did quite like the camera window tool to upload pictures to the PC though as it would create dated folders for you automatically (good for the lazy man). So if any of you know how to remedy this that would be interesting to find out.

So there you have it, my first 40D impressions. I've tried to be as honest as possible, listing the good, the bad, and the other lol.

All in all, it's a great camera, and like most new toys will take a little getting used to, but the key reasons for my personal upgrade have all been fulfilled, better noise performance at ISO400 and above, (much) faster fps & faster focus.

Much the same as my first impressions, Clarke - except that coming from the 30D there was less of a handling learning curve.

I've been out a couple of times over the weekend shooting flying gulls too, and - like you - my "keeper" rate is definitely higher.

I know that gull BIFs aren't really seen to be "proper" BIF challenges, but they can fairly motor when they want to (particularly when there are chips to be had, I noticed! ;)) and I've got some shots I'm delighted with.

I've also taken some 1000 ISO pictures of juvenile herring gulls, against a flat, grey BG which would guarantee me reaching for Neat Image if I'd been using the 30D (at a fair bit less than 1000 ISO too) and they haven't warranted any NR at all - in camera or PP.

Last edited:
As the 40D is the first Canon I have owned I had thought that it would be a steep learning curve and I was prepared to be frustrated and annoyed at my initial attempts. I sat down with the manual and worked through most things (Unusual for me to RTFM beforehand!) and was initially confused by what I wanted to use. However, by going against advice from certain quarters and ignoring the Basic settings I have been pleased and amazed with the results. The 6-ish fps allowed me quite a lot of latitude in framing with my attempts at some BiF shots. I like the colours. (My Fuji tended to the warm, orangey hues). It feels good and comfortable to handle and I have to say that once I get used to which of the dials does what when I depress a function button (!) then I am sure everything will work naturally. I also like the menu format and find them "user-friendly". Also the integral flash unit which I used to brighten up some shots of fungi is as good as an integral flash can be.
Like Clarke I have already customised much of what I have (so far) found to be the most useful functions.
DPP is straightforward and with some advice about shooting in RAW from the forum here I hope to expand it's potential even more.

In short, without being able to compare it to previous Canon models, I love it and it (thus far) has been well worth breaking open my piggy-bank for.

Some initial shots of my first day out with it at the local Hawk Conservancy:
http://www.royco.fotopic.net

Roy

Hi Everyone

Following on from a recent thread, I decided to mention my own observations on my shiny new 40D. I upgraded from a 350D at the weekend. I've only really had 1 proper trip out with the new camera as yet, so thought I'd share my initial impressions. I've still got some things to try (custom dials, liveview, 1.4 Kenko pro on 100-400 are examples).
QUOTE]

1. Let us know a.s.a.p. about AF with 100-400 + 1.4TC
2. On related threads I don't think anyone has mention the sensor cleaning system-any comments??

1. Let us know a.s.a.p. about AF with 100-400 + 1.4TC
2. On related threads I don't think anyone has mention the sensor cleaning system-any comments??

1 - I sure will.

2 - I can't really say much about the sensor cleaning system other than it tells me it's cleaning when I turn the camera on, and I haven't had any problems with dust in my 1 day of shooting! Not much help I'm afraid. I never really had much trouble with dust on the 350 (I use a rocket blower from time to time, and will probably still use it with the 40D if necessary).

2. I set the dust delete data as per manual instructions. Other than that I tend not to change lenses too much, if at all outside, and then very carefully. Also I don't "pump" the 100-400mm as advised elsewhere in this forum. Time will tell about the usefulness of the system (IMHO).

re: Using the Rocket Blower - How often? Every lens change? After a day out shooting?
Also, are you just blowing dust particles about inside the body? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a "Rocket Sucker"? ;)

Roy

I always turn the camera body upside down before I have at it with the blower, Roy - the hope being that any crud I dislodge will fall out of the body.

Using the Rocket Blower - How often? Every lens change? After a day out shooting?
Also, are you just blowing dust particles about inside the body? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a "Rocket Sucker"? ;)

Roy

Lol @ Rocket sucker. If you can find a non-smut link to where rocket suckers are available to purchase, feel free to send it on. ;)

How often? Occasionally on the 350D is the best answer I can give to that. I sometimes notice some specks in the viewfinder and on the inside of lenses, so a quick blow usually fixes that. I hold the camera facing towards the floor so any dust that gets moved around hopefully falls down and out. Probably not a perfect system, but close enough for me. I rarely notice any dust marks on the pictures though I'm never shooting at f22 on a blue sky where they tend to show up more.

Edit: Just noticed Keith posted a similar technique as I was writing this, sorry for toe-stepping there Keith, and great rocket-technique you've got there ;)

Last edited:
Alot of noise at iso 1000 and often below does not seem to make the 30d such a good choice in my book. I was sick of noise at iso 400 and above on the 350d and is an important factor in any upgrade i will make so maybe I will have to rethink my options for upgrading. I do not want to be disappointed twice.
The faster af and fps on the 40d coupled with the 400f5.6 should make flight shots a breeze!
Having said that I have read some disturbing reports about faults with cameras and software concerning the 40d so seem no clearer on what choice i should make.
Clarke I am currently upgrading from the 350d so have read your report with interest, thankyou.

Annette, the 30D is very good at higher ISO - I'm simply mentioning that I was using 1000 ISO on the 40D because there has been a lot of complaint that the 40D is noisier than the 30D.

In fact it's about the same as (or at best slightly better than) the 30D, but it's a different kind of noise.

As I've posted before, I regularly NR 30D pictures that have no noise problems, just to add to background blur.

The 40D however, seems to produce nice creamy backgrounds without the need to do this (this is "only" 400 ISO, incidentally).

Attachments

• bhg4.jpg
    bhg4.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Yeah was just looking at the bearded tits on your website taken with the 30d, in I presume lowish light and the clarity is beautiful. Certainly better than the 350d. You know I just have this obsession with noise! Love the gull photo!

2. I set the dust delete data as per manual instructions. Other than that I tend not to change lenses too much, if at all outside, and then very carefully. Also I don't "pump" the 100-400mm as advised elsewhere in this forum. Time will tell about the usefulness of the system (IMHO).

re: Using the Rocket Blower - How often? Every lens change? After a day out shooting?

Roy

No dust spots from the 40D,have loads from the 30D,but none from the 40D,and i have done lots of lens changes.Same applies to the 400d,not a dust speck to be seen.I guess that sometime the dust which collects will have to be sorted,but the sensor cleaning system was one of the reasons for my purchase of the 40D,and yes,it does work.

I took my 40D to Africa last month. Previously I've had to use a rocket blower on the 20D every evening. But the 40D sensor stayed clean for the full three weeks with nothing but the auto-cleaning system.

I was using the 100-400 most of the time, with minimal lens swapping.

Overall I'm very impressed with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back