• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birders Yearlist Challenge (1 Viewer)

Another 22 with A 2nd and 3rd day in Montreal
Great Egret
Broad winged Hawk
Red -shouldered hawk
Upland Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Blue-headed Vireo
Blue Jay
Eastern Bluebird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Parula
Black throated Blue WArbler
Pine Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
Northern cardinal
Now I'm at 272

more birds from Montreal
273. red-shouldered Hawk
274. Broad-winged Hawk
275. American Woodcock
276. Eastern Screech Owl
277. Northern Mockingbird
278. wood Thrush
279. Blue-winged Warbler
280. Canada Warbler
281. Scarlet Tanager
282. Rose-breasted Grosbeak

210 - Honey Buzzard and Long-eared Owl. These two birds were birds that I have been hoping to see for a long time, particularly the latter. The Honey Buzzard was at Wykeham Forest, seen distantly but no mistaking it, especially with a Common Buzzard acting as a great comparison to confirm my ID. In the evening I stayed overnight in Durham but went to meet Andrew Kinghorn, who took me to a Long-eared Owl sight near him. We had to wait almost until nightfall before one finally appeared, a ghostly looking juvenile bird. Views were generally quite good for the light, with it flying within 10-12ft of us at one point. Very memorable views, and two hard earned and rewarding lifers for me! ;). Thank you very much Andrew for showing me them, and it was a pleasure to meet you! On my holiday to North Yorks I did take a fair number of pictures of commoner birds, and I'm thinking of making a flickr page or starting a photography blog on blogspot. Once I have got the photos up I will link them on here somehow or other.

Cheers,

Joseph

Last edited:
Back from Cornwall/Forest of Dean now. Greatt Holiday! I have added 7 new species this holiday, and have 3 more that i would like to check against my list at home (I''m unsure if I have seen them previously. I think i might still have a link to my list so i may find out before then) Also i would like t check if a bird i saw in norfolk is on my list. Hope you are all having a good holiday,

All done-
2 shearwaters (Sooty and Balearic)
European Storm Petrel
3 Skua (no long tailed)
Yellow Legged Gull, juv.
Chough
Nightjar
Long Eared Owl
10 seen, so that takes me to a new total of 230, and with time here in shrops, i may add one or two more

1st) Canadagurl123 (Canada) - 282 species
2nd) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 230 species
3rd) Kinghorn the bird brain (Durham, GB) - 226 species
4th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 210 species
5th) Halcon (Spain) - 205 species
6th) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 203 species
7th) Muddy Turnstone (Sweden) - 203 species
8th) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 190 species
8th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) -190 species
10th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) -177 species
11th) AlexGuthrie (Angus, GB) - 173 species
12th) Gropperwinch (sussex, GB) - 168 species
13th) SimmoJunior (London, GB) - 164 species
14th) CreamColouredCourser (GB) -160 species
15th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 144 species
16th) Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 131 species
17th) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 129 species
18th) ausmar (Malta) - 127 species
18th) Adin92 (Malta) -127 species
20th) Robin jack (Italy) - 126 species
21st) Alexjh1 (Northants, GB) - 123 species
22nd)Loufish (London, GB) - 119 species
23rd) Middy24 (Northumberland, GB) - 114 species
24th) Cnocell (GB) - 83 species
24th) Bill19 (Lincolnshire, GB) - 83 species
26th) tjbirdofprey (Spain) - 64 species
27th) nrg800 (Australia) - 42 species
28th) PeterFisher13 (Merseyside, GB) - 32 species
29th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 28 species
30th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 21 species
31st) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

Just got back from Crete with 10 lifers (not adding them to this list as not in own country), however I got Mandarin the day before I went away on a local marsh so I'm on 190.

Back from fair Isle.
I am now up to 164 for the year with the following new species:
148. Hooded Crow
149. Whimbrel
150. Fulmar
151. Gannet
152. Great Skua
153. Puffin
154. Razorbill
155. Shag
156. Black Guillemot
157. Kittiwake
158. Twite
159. Arctic Skua
160. Guillemot
161. Arctic Tern
162. Common Rosefinch (Lifer)
163. Storm Petrel
164. Eider

Was this with the JHMF grant scheme? I'm going for two weeks at the end of august so would be interested to chat to someone who has already done this.

Also may as well add my yearlist total here, my best total since I started year listing 5 years ago currently on 181

Was this with the JHMF grant scheme? I'm going for two weeks at the end of august so would be interested to chat to someone who has already done this.

Also may as well add my yearlist total here, my best total since I started year listing 5 years ago currently on 181

yes, it was great fun. What do you want to know?

i Re Checked my Checklist and i found out I missed one out + today i added 3 (Ringed Plover, Dunlin and Reed Warbler)

The total now should read 131

Last edited:
212 - Sooty Shearwater and Spotted Redshank. Had a day out with a birding friend of ours. It wasn't a bad day, with a stop at Battery Park in Peterhead (a place that can be good for sea-watching) producing 4 Sooty Shearwaters, 15 Manxies, 10 Bonxies, 2 Velvet Scoter and 6 Arctic Skua in just under an hour. The Sooties were my first of the year, and a delight to see. We had a few other stops in minor places that provided nothing before finally arriving at Strathbeg, where I picked up on my first Spotshank of the year (also here were 9 Ruff and my second Red Kite of the year). Apart from that it was relatively quiet, although we did quite a bit more sea-watching at other places, each of them providing a few Bonxies and the like, but no more Sooties, and the Ythan produced a few Greenshanks, two Ospreys and a Ruff. A pleasant day with two useful year ticks.

Joseph

Last edited:
Thanks :)and ive been seawatching daily off St.Ives island and have had Balearic a Sooty Shearwater aswell as Arctic and Great Skua. A walk this morning got me a juvenile Wheatear and a Peregrine taking me to 150 for the year :)

Also is a reply to a previous post how do i quote that in my post? Cheers

I was also interested as to how many people count Hooded Crow as a full species on life and year lists as it is on neither of mine?

Also how do i post my life and year list totals below each post ?
Thanks again :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back