• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wolf takes Kangaroo, Belgium (1 Viewer)

I just want to know what was going through the wolf's mind: was it "that's a bloody big rabbit" or "I dunno what this is, time for some fine dining and a new taste experience!"

I concur this is not an excuse for a wolf hunt. Though I'm surprised to be in the situation of telling someone who owns a kangaroo "You're gonna need a bigger fence".

John

I just want to know what was going through the wolf's mind: was it "that's a bloody big rabbit" or "I dunno what this is, time for some fine dining and a new taste experience!"

I concur this is not an excuse for a wolf hunt. Though I'm surprised to be in the situation of telling someone who owns a kangaroo "You're gonna need a bigger fence".

John

Or a bigger Kangaroo....................

Suspect though that one of Chosen's big 'boomer' 'roos might be able to kick the hell out of a lone wolf :t:

And I suspect that a roo that turned to face a grown wolf would last a matter of seconds. There are wolves in the Northern wilderness that pull down Bison....

Wolves are big, they are fast, their jaws crunch like boltcutters and can go like sewing machines, they are smart and they are hard as nails.

The average Dingo weighs in at 13 to 20Kg.

Male wolves average 43 to 45 Kg, females 36 to 38: more than twice the weight of Dingoes.

Male Red Kangaroos range from about 55 to 90Kg, which basically puts them in the same ballpark as typical Northern Hemisphere wolf prey.

Luckily, under normal circumstances it's like Polar Bears catching Penguins - ain't gonna happen.

John

I don't think either wolf or big buck roo would want to face off against each other !

I don't share John's pessimism though. I think any one on one daylight encounter between boomer and wolf would go the roo's way most times. If there was any water around - 100% drowned wolf every time. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...aroo-was-spotted-bathing-in-australian-creek/

Of course it's a different matter with lesser roo's though. For instance female wolf probably takes female roo just about every time. Then you have to consider circumstances. Kangaroos are just about as blind as bats at night time - perhaps this is when the roo in the article was taken? as wolves are proficient nocturnal hunters. Mostly when faced with attack by Dingo packs Kangaroos will do the Harold Holt. Only when cornered or out of options will they face up.

Dingoes are about half the weight of wolves, and only stand about 75% the height at the shoulder (wolves are evolved for dealing with lots of snow after all). Pig dogs (usually some sort of frankenmongrel pit bull / bull mastiff or whatever cross) mostly run about wolf weight or more. They are used to hunt feral pigs in this country which go 2, 3, or 400 lbs with tusks to match.

Check out the photo of the bashed up pig dog in this post. The video shows the dog in fear for it's life and only intervention by humans saved it. https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3512674&postcount=6

Chosun :gh:

I don't think either wolf or big buck roo would want to face off against each other !

I don't share John's pessimism though.

You mistake me, I'm a dog person. That was optimism! :t:

I tend to agree with you about variation for circumstances. The thing about a wolf is it will pick them to its own advantage.

John

You mistake me, I'm a dog person. That was optimism! :t:

I tend to agree with you about variation for circumstances. The thing about a wolf is it will pick them to its own advantage.

John

:t:

A kangaroo's poor nocturnal vision is a bit of a puzzle since they often rest up for most of the day when it is as hot as b*ggery and then feed dusk, night, and early morning - particularly if you are doing any conservation work involving replanted trees (Rough-barked Apple, and Yellow Box seedlings are their treats of choice - grr !). It's not like they don't have nocturnal active native predators here ......

I think the interesting thing is that a wolf encountering a big buck roo (have read elsewhere that the 'pets' in the OP were wallabies) wouldn't quite know what it is capable of. For sure the wolf is a large fierce wild predator that manages to deal with significantly horned prey such as elk (though probably not often one on one). One of the unusual things to emerge from documenting reports of Kangaroo attacks on humans is that roos trying to claw eyes seems to be better than a 50/50 chance happenstance. This woman was extremely lucky. https://7news.com.au/news/animals/v...itches-in-face-after-kangaroo-attack-c-562553

I came across this interesting clip while looking around a bit at this unnatural match up. It only appears to be a young dingo (who looks in good condition - pretty well fed - so perhaps not starvingly desperate) but the roo also is barely bigger than Joey size. It is interesting that ultimately the dingo backs off. What I find fascinating about it is that it seems almost as if the dingo has some innate knowing that it would risk getting it's eyes attacked even from this tiny little roo if it pushed the matter. Like lots of things in the natural world it seems that the risk <-> reward equation played it's part ......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdT5vRMvEig

Basically Kangaroos just want to eat lush grass and shag themselves silly. The real danger comes when the flight or fight response comes down to the 'fight' option - then they really have their lives vested in it.

Buonasera, the only comment I will make is the following: no one should be allowed to detain a kangaroo, especially if he is out of his home. In the 70s there was still someone in Italy who held tigers and other felines. We are the most dangerous animals. Giorgio

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back