• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

Returning to birding after about twelve years I bought some new binoculars. My last pair was 8x32 BA Leica trinovid which I had used and was very happy with, so I was accustomed to the size and weight and qualities associated with the smaller binocular. So with very little thought I purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x32 which were very highly thought of in discussion forums like this. Unfortunately I couldn't get on with them. My eyesight had deteriorated over the years and I found the constant fiddle of refocusing and the relative lack of brightness very disappointing.
Yesterday I part exchanged them, for a substantial loss, but but was rewarded by the superlative quality of their replacement; Leica Ultravid 7x42. They produced the effect that I had always remembered and thought was lost forever to me; the crystal sharpness, the bright colouring, the ease of handling, absolutely brilliant, I couldn't be more pleased.
I strongly recommend the 7x42 format to the older birder whose eyesight is not what it once was, as in my case I recovered the thrill of looking through superb optics that bring the beauty of birds startlingly to life.

Returning to birding after about twelve years I bought some new binoculars. My last pair was 8x32 BA Leica trinovid which I had used and was very happy with, so I was accustomed to the size and weight and qualities associated with the smaller binocular. So with very little thought I purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x32 which were very highly thought of in discussion forums like this. Unfortunately I couldn't get on with them. My eyesight had deteriorated over the years and I found the constant fiddle of refocusing and the relative lack of brightness very disappointing.
Yesterday I part exchanged them, for a substantial loss, but but was rewarded by the superlative quality of their replacement; Leica Ultravid 7x42. They produced the effect that I had always remembered and thought was lost forever to me; the crystal sharpness, the bright colouring, the ease of handling, absolutely brilliant, I couldn't be more pleased.
I strongly recommend the 7x42 format to the older birder whose eyesight is not what it once was, as in my case I recovered the thrill of looking through superb optics that bring the beauty of birds startlingly to life.

Vivian Darkbloom (what a great "Goth Rock" name!),

Did you bring out your old 8x32 BAs for comparison? I'd be interested to hear how they held up against the Ultravids.

I agree with you about midsized roofs these days, the only one that I tried that I liked was the 8x32 EL, which had the best "mini-me" approximation of a full sized bin of the midsized 8x30/2s roofs I've tried.

All the others appeared as you described the 8x32 Ultravid. But even with the EL, I had problems with image blackouts" though with some practice, I might be able to use a holding technique to minimize that. But given their high price, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I found that for my now "older but wiser eyes" that the Zen Ray 7x36 ED2 exhibits the same qualities you describe with your 7x42 Ultravid, but at a price that better suits my wallet.

Congrats! on the new bin and for returning to the fold as a fellow birder.

Now where did I put my life list 12 years ago? :)

Brock

Your post rang a bell with me Vivian. The best bins I've ever owned, for the view, were 7x42 Uvids. I had two pair of them at different times and both were extraordinary. I don't have a pair now because when I came clean with myself I realized I prefer my 8x32 BNs. Mostly an ergo thing but weight plays a part as well. The 7x42 Uvids are wonderful however.

Also, as per your post, I didn't get on with Zeiss FLs either. I didn't care for the focus or the ribs or the plasticky feel. Great view though!

Congratulations on a super pair of bins.

I have to agree Vivian, after owning a pair of 10x42HD for 3 years and being very pleased with them, I bought a pair of the 7x42HD in the spring. The 7x42's are a wonderful bin and I find my self using the 10x42HD less and less.

I did try the other A type 7x42's, all are excellent, but for me the Uvid's are astonishing.

I have their "big daddy" the 7 x 42 Trinovid BN. It is always a pleasure to use it. It doesn't have the anorexic magnesium body and twitty titanium focusing rod but is constructed of more common aluminum and stainless steel with a corrugated rubber like exterior. No effete ED glass either, or coatings to wipe water or tears off it's objective lens's. What you see is what you get! Tom Selleck would use this glass if he needed a binocular!

It's a real man's binocular!:king:

Bob

Vivian,
I am moved by your eloquent expression of optical joy. Leicas are very, very fine.
Have fun,
Ron

I have their "big daddy" the 7 x 42 Trinovid BN. It is always a pleasure to use it. It doesn't have the anorexic magnesium body and twitty titanium focusing rod but is constructed of more common aluminum and stainless steel with a corrugated rubber like exterior. No effete ED glass either, or coatings to wipe water or tears off it's objective lens's. What you see is what you get! Tom Selleck would use this glass if he needed a binocular!

It's a real man's binocular!:king:

Bob

Hahaha!

That's right, Bob!

I once tried this bino and -WOW- was I impressed! Unfortunately they gave me blackouts as well, with my small frame specs. Now that I have large frame specs, these would be very nice, more so than the Ultravid equivalent.
The Trinovids have that indestructible no-nonsense signature written all over them. Shame they don't make them anymore.

Best regards,

Ronald

Hello Vivian, I, too, find the Ultravid 7x42 HD binoculars to be a real pleasure to use. The FOV, brightness and depth of field make the extra size and weight over my 8x32BA's of little significance.
Cheers, John

Hi Brock, While a comparison between 8x32's and 7x42's is unlikely to be very fair, I did such a comparison between my 8x32 Leica Trinovids and 7x42 Ultravid HD's. As I would expect, the HD's were, IMHO, sharper, brighter and had greater DOF. That said, I still like, and enjoy, the 8x32's
As an aside, a friend recently purchased some Zen Ray 8x43 ED2's, we did an all too brief comparison between the HD's and the Zen Rays, and we agreed that the Zen Rays were very close in overall viewing pleasure. It would take much more time than was available, to make a more complete evaluation.
John

i just got an Ultravid HD 7x42. I do enjoy the picture window most 7x42's provide. Very steady. I feel this leica is exceptionally sharp which can help with those that feel 7x isnt enough magnification. any other UV HD owners on here?

i just got an Ultravid HD 7x42. I do enjoy the picture window most 7x42's provide. Very steady. I feel this leica is exceptionally sharp which can help with those that feel 7x isnt enough magnification. any other UV HD owners on here?

I have had 7x42 UV for 7 years and still consider it one of my all-time favorite bins. Aside from slight improvement in CA control, I find no difference between it and the HD version. That said, I seldom detect CA in my "old" UV, probably because I'm more interested in birding than in trying to get my bins to exhibit shortcomings. Mine is superbly sharp, bright, and contrasty. Some of the original UVs can be bought new and used on eBay for bargain prices, compared to the pricing of the HD.

I too am a fan of 8x32, but the 7x42 is my cold-season bin. The focus in mine was initially rough, but it is now very smooth and is completely unaffected by temperature--which was Leica's purpose in having a lubricant-free mechanism. The only weakness in this bin is the armor, which becomes slightly loose and baggy with heavy use. I may send mine back to Leica to have it replaced. That's another advantage to the "old" UVs bought new--they came with a lifetime warranty, which Leica has phased out.

i saw the OLD UV 7x42 a few years ago so i cant compare them to the HD's. You buy the HD's as "DEMO's" that are as new and 500$ cheaper than a "NEW" one.

The upgrades to FL glass, aqua-dura coating, and the improved focusing are all worthwhile IMO. ALso they have improved the baffling, light traps, etc as these exhibit less (practically zero) flaring in strong light conditions, another improvement that i do like.

I wouldnt pay the money for one "new" but DEMO's are basically "NEW" and much less.

The regular Ultravid's I handled 3 years ago did have a notchy focuser compared ot swaro, niukon, zeiss. THis new one is better but no one beats the NIKON in focusing IMO.

It seems to have a very good sweet spot, a trademark of the SLCnew 7x42.

I came across a pair of secondhand 7x42 Ultravids [non-HD] when looking for bins a couple of years back. Utterly gorgeous to look through, wiped the floor with the Swarovisions I'd gone there to try out - I had to keep telling myself "You need tens, you need tens"
If I ever win the lottery, as well as Nikon porros and Zeiss Classic 8x56s I'll be having Leica 7x42s..... |:D|

Hahaha!
I once tried this bino and -WOW- was I impressed! Unfortunately they gave me blackouts as well, with my small frame specs. Now that I have large frame specs, these would be very nice, more so than the Ultravid equivalent.
The Trinovids have that indestructible no-nonsense signature written all over them. Shame they don't make them anymore.

The old 8x42 Trinovid gave me this "WOW" factor more than Swarovski EL 8.5x42. There is really nothing wrong I can say at all about Swaro, it's a very impressive device but lacks the "WOW" factor of Leica.

The old 8x42 Trinovid gave me this "WOW" factor more than Swarovski EL 8.5x42. There is really nothing wrong I can say at all about Swaro, it's a very impressive device but lacks the "WOW" factor of Leica.

A small note on this, Etc. I was impressed with the 7x42 Trinovid.
Recently I tried the 8x42 Trinovid BA owned by a friend of mine, and I was not that impressed with it as I was with the 7x42.
He bought his 8x42 BA in 1997, and it was at around the same time I got the opportunity to try the 7x42 in a shop.
Maybe it's the wider field that gave the 7x42 a more "panoramic" view that wowed me, but the overall sharpness and bright, vivid colouration of things I looked at really got me in a jawdropping state of awe. Unfortunately the black-outs kept me from buying it on the spot..

Best regards,

Ronald

A very sharp bino like Leica combined with a lower power is an awesome combination.

I am trying to decide where to go next:
Ultravid 7x42 HD or 8x42 HD but also want to check out Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD, or perhaps that new EL that's making a lot of noise.

My main concern witn Leica is that it lacks enough overdrive past infinity for me, only 4 diopters whereas I need closer to 6 diopters. I do realize I can send them to Leica to have them change this.

I am trying to decide where to go next:
Ultravid 7x42 HD or 8x42 HD but also want to check out Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD, or perhaps that new EL that's making a lot of noise.

My main concern witn Leica is that it lacks enough overdrive past infinity for me, only 4 diopters whereas I need closer to 6 diopters. I do realize I can send them to Leica to have them change this.

Hm... At that level it comes down to personal preference, you'll have 4 contenders with brilliant optics. Must be a delight to be able to check them all out, side by side, at least that's what I presume, that you'll have them in your hands.

If Leica can tweak the diopter overdrive past infinity, I think this will on the other hand make the close focus a bit worse, no?

As for the Ultravid 7x42: I wonder why that one doesn't come in a leatherette version, as opposed to the 8x42 and 10x42?

Best regards,

Ronald

The above quote sums up my feelings perfectly (including the comment on the Zeiss Victory 8x32).
Just been to try the Swarovisions. OK, but no significant improvement for me. I wanted to compare them with the Ultravids and my trusty 8x32 BN Trino's but they only had the 7x42 HD's so I had a peep.
WOW!!! Game over. IMHO the best view I have ever had through a binocular. Visual velvet!
I've owned many and tried them all at 8 and 10. Give 'em a try?
Oh, I left with them under my arm...

p.s. Just a point about the good old British climate. LIGHT LEVELS! I love my Trino's BUT the brightness of these bins is amazing (amongst other factors) and I now consider these my alpha binoculars. Expensive yes...but a definite improvement and I don't miss the extra mag' at all! I'll be keeping my Trino's though...

Your post rang a bell with me Vivian. The best bins I've ever owned, for the view, were 7x42 Uvids. I had two pair of them at different times and both were extraordinary. I don't have a pair now because when I came clean with myself I realized I prefer my 8x32 BNs. Mostly an ergo thing but weight plays a part as well. The 7x42 Uvids are wonderful however.

Also, as per your post, I didn't get on with Zeiss FLs either. I didn't care for the focus or the ribs or the plasticky feel. Great view though!

Congratulations on a super pair of bins.

Just to back it up...here's a quote from a like-minded experienced viewer! I fully appreciate the ergo argument...so I'll be greedy and have both! For pure view though and brightness it has to be the 7x42HD.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back