• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charts for fov and sweetspot (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I have done some maths and drawn up a couple of drawings. One shows the relative sizes of different fovs and the other what sweetspots as percentages of the fov area look like compared to each other.

I have been meaning to do this for my own benefit for some time and finally got round to it. I find it is much easier to grasp the these concepts when I can see them as a drawing rather than a chart.

Thought they might be helpful to others, so here they are.

Best wishes
Martin

Attachments

• FOV chart-Layout2.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Sweetspot chart-Layout2.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 171
Nice charts, at what distance should they be set from the binoculars? Thanks.

Hi,

they're not really for looking at through bins. I made them so I could see on paper how different fovs looked relative to each other and how circles looked as percentages of each other because people always talk about sweetspots as percentages.

I knew that the area of one circle as a percentage of another is hard to visualise an the difference often surprises people so I suspect that often people get it wrong when they estimate the sweetspot.

I wanted something to help me see how these things compared.

I suppose, with a bit more maths (ignore the s if you're on the other side of the Atlantic ;)) and making sure of the scale, the drawing of fovs could become a chart to evaluate the fov of a pair of bins. I'll ponder that one.

I also made them to practice using AutoCAD which I am teaching myself.

I shall ponder them and see if i can figue out how to make them of use in practice.

Thanks TP, you may have come up with a great improvement in their usefulness!

Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin for the explanation. After I wake up some more today, I would think I could figure my minimum close focus distance is that would see clearly and take my Machinist's Handbook (trig tables)and calculate what the diameters for those degrees should be for a given distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back