• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 SLC-HD vs 8.5x42 EL-SV (1 Viewer)

henry link

I spent some time in a store yesterday comparing a Swarovski 8x42 SLC-UD to a 8.5x42 EL-SV. I also briefly compared the SLC edge sharpness to a Nikon 8x42 EDG, Zeiss 8x42 FL and Leica 8x42 Ultravid (non-HD).

To compare distortion I photographed a grid through the objective ends of the SLC-HD, EL-SV and, as a reference, the Zeiss 8x42 FL. The circle in the grid photos below is an image of the grid spanning the eyepiece fieldstop and positioned about 8” behind the eyepiece (EL-SV
left, SLC-HD middle, Zeiss FL right). They show distortion reversed from the way it appears looking through the binoculars in the normal way. In these images pincushion distortion becomes barrel distortion.

The odd looking image to the right of those was concocted to show the distortions more clearly by horizontally stretching a crop of half of the grid image to exaggerate the curves of the vertical lines. Zeiss is at the bottom, SLC-HD in the middle (sorry about the bad focus) and EL-SV at the top. The field center is at the left, the field edge on the right. I think it’s clear that the SLC-HD and the Zeiss use similar amounts of straightforward pincushion to tame the “rolling globe” effect, but the EL- SV shows some interesting compound distortion. Notice that the vertical lines are not smooth curves like the Zeiss and the SLC. The middle of the lines bend in the direction of normal pincushion, but as the lines move up and down from the center they straighten out and begin to re-curve back in the opposite direction. The result is that that the pincushion curve increases until about mid way between the field center and the edge, then just enough barrel distortion is superimposed over the pincushion to cause the curve to gradually straighten out from mid way to the field edge. I’ve seen this same kind of combination of pincushion and barrel in a few other devices. It combines some of the benefit of pincushion while still producing relatively straight lines near the edge of the field. I think it’s quite impossible to predict how an individual will perceive “rolling globe” when panning with a binocular using complex distortion like this.

I had less success trying to photograph color bias and light transmission. I tried to do it with the interior light in the store, but the results were too inconsistent to be reliable. I’ll try to arrange a sunlight test in the future. However, as you can see in the photo of reflections returning from the objectives of the SLC-HD (left) and the EL-SV, the color “tuning” of the coatings is different between the two. My impression after a brief comparison is that the image in the SLC-HD may look a little warmer and maybe a little brighter than the EL-SV. This seems to confirm a report in another thread that Swarovski optimized the SLC-HD for higher transmission and the EL-SV for more neutral color. It might have been better for my neutrality as an observer if I hadn’t seen that report before comparing the binoculars, but neither has a strong color bias and there is not much difference in brightness. Another thing that can be seen from the reflection patterns in the objectives is that the optics of the objective and focusing lenses are nearly identical in the two binoculars.

I briefly compared the edge sharpness of the SLC-HD to the other alphas in the store. I found the SLC-HD to be exceptionally good by conventional (pre EL-SV) standards. It was clearly superior to Zeiss FL and Leica Ultravid and very close to the Nikon EDG. Only the EL-SV was obviously better. Field curvature is the dominant off-axis aberration, with astigmatism well corrected.

My overall conclusion from my brief experience is that the SLC-HD is another very attractive high end binocular. Think of it as an alternative “alpha” class binocular from Swarovski rather than a second tier model. Without considering price at all, the choice between it and the EL-SV probably comes down to personal preferences between the ergonomics, magnification, distortion characteristics and maybe color transmission and brightness. Edge sharpness is the only area where the SV is optically the clear winner.

Attachments

• DSC_1187.JPG
    DSC_1187.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC_1185.JPG
    DSC_1185.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC_1201.JPG
    DSC_1201.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 579
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC_1199.JPG
    DSC_1199.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Wow Henry thanks for doing all this! Excellent information!!! I can not believe no one else as replied. Everybody must be busy or unless this thread was just moved or everybody that read this are Zeiss and Leica fans.;) Well I am busy and just took a break.
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Hi Henry;

Interesting images, I have copied them to the computer but have not really started studying them yet, but in the vein of Steve’s comments, thought I would give a brief reply.

The SV is very similar to before so I do not expect much more comment, except that its reverse curves are milder than those in the little 7x20 commented on before, especially at the very edges. I would like to try one of these. Really curious how it would do in a low flying, fast airplane.

I am really curious of the SLC-HD. I have not done any measurements yet, but it appears that the K value is somewhat flatter (maybe about 0.7) than the Zeiss, which I would like to try out.

Maybe, in the near future, I can get my hands on one of each long enough to measure transmission and color point. Your comments may indicate a little closer to the Leica color temp, which is more to my liking than the cooler Ziess.

I will know more after spending some time on another computer with your images. Thanks for taking the time and traveling the distance to gather the information.

Have a good day.

Thanks Steve, the distortion images were not a surprise, more of a confirmation, since Ron had sent me similar images a few months ago. Ron, I emailed you some higher resolution versions and, yes, I agree that the SLC K value appears to be a little flatter than the Zeiss.

Henry

Last edited:
I didn't compare the SLC-HD to the EDG for anything other than edge sharpness. I know from earlier experience with the EDG that it has less pincushion distortion than the SLC which i suppose might affect panning comfort for some people and the EDG color transmission is probably more like the SL-SV, but I don't think the color differences are very significant.

Thanks for that detailed comparison, Henry.

The most telling part for me was your conclusion, which pegged the SLC HD as an alternative “alpha” class binocular....rather than a second tier model.

People have wondered why the SV EL and SLC-HD were so close in price, this answers that question.

Still too dearly priced for most of us bozos on the bus, but at least some people will get to enjoy them and then hopefully sell them at a goodly discount in a few years when the next great "must have" pair of bins comes along.

Trickle down binonomics. :)

Impressive and imaginative photo work, and well explained. Golly Henry, please never abandon us for OpticsTalk, OK?

The long awaited resolution of the company's claim of k=.74 in the SV, and the apparently contradictory observation of the undistorted edge! Most devious of them, and good detective work Henry.

It was nice of the shop owner to miss a sale or two while you were fooling around in hog's heaven. Maybe he thought he was Making a sale? We'll see!
Ron

As a Zeiss fan, I will take my responsability and give my comments ;)

First of all, Swarovski skipped the 7x42 which is unforgivable. The 8x42 compared have negligible differences in FOV (135-136m), and short focus (1.9-2m), but the Swaro are 60g heavier.

So for the only real bonus (edge sharpness) you have to pay 1510 pounds (Warehouseexpress), compared to 1134 (Zeiss). This is for a binocular made in 2010 compared to one already made in 2005 and the SLC is not significantly better for centre resolution nor brighter in low light. If there are optical differences between the two, they are very small at least to my eyes. So I think the biggest improvement is the price.

Last, I really like the fast focussing of the Zeiss. If you are birding forests or birds in flight, this is the difference between having them sharp in the bins for that split second or not. And very personally: the ergonomics of the Zeiss work for me. The SLC is also nice to hold, but the Swarovision x42 somehow does not feel natural. I do like the feeling of the old x32 EL, however, and much more than the Zeiss 8x32.

Anyway, the SLC are definately an improvement over the old SLC, but I am waiting for either a 8x32 Swarovision or a 10*56 SLC. Those could be real improvements over the competitors, like the 10x42 Swarovision is compared to other 10x42 alphas.

Thanks Ron. The folks at that store have been very accommodating over the years and I do return the favor by purchasing most of my optics from them.

Temmie, I didn't intend to do a brand based evaluation. My comparison to other alpha brands was limited just to edge sharpness in 8x42's and I used the FL distortion only as a reference. I'm not a fan of any brand.

Henry

Hi Temmie, I hope my post #3 wasn't taken seriously. I have used both the Zeiss 8x32FL & 8x42FL and liked them a lot. I am cheap and one reason I don't have a 8x32EL or 8x32FL.;)
Best wishes,Steve

I may just buy the 8x42 SLC HD of course I will sell some other "stuff" to pay for most of it and i have some bino's that I will trade in on them. Unlike many, I dont own 2,3, or 4 binoculars so one pair cant be too good. Seems Like it has the eveerything the EL has except the ergonomics and edge sharpness at the extreme edge but we all know swaro has a great, wide sweet spot and these appear even better than their predecessors....IF I get them, I will post a review.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back