• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

michahellis or argentatus? (1 Viewer)

lou salomon

the birdonist
hi,

this very big (male) 2nd winter --> 2nd summer gull has been resting for a short time near marburg, germany. the experts' opinions differ between herring and YLG. i'm curious about yours. i think it is herring, especially because of the large primary window seen in pic 4. ; sorry for blurry pics. taken by axel wellinghoff at 2. march 2006.

lou

Attachments

• Moewe01.jpg
    Moewe01.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Moewe02.jpg
    Moewe02.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Moewe04.jpg
    Moewe04.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Moewe09.jpg
    Moewe09.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Moewe07.jpg
    Moewe07.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 147
Hi both.

The gull is, due to blackish primaries with rounded tips, certainly a 3cy (2nd summer) type. As such one would expect a michahellis to be a little more advanced in regarding the plumage, and perhaps also a little darker concerning tone of grey parts, and more white-tipped tertials. It is the structure of the gull which make me see argentatus, both in the water and in the air, and the pale iner primaries, a very good pro-argentatus character, which of course both of you guys know.

JanJ

A 3cy Larus argentatus for me also.

Isn't there the hint of a pale mirror on p10 on 2nd picture ? I think so. L. michahellis is said to never show this on a 3cy (from books).

Supporting characters are :
- little advanced moult
- pale grey newly moulted (but just compare the color of 1st and last picture !)
- dirty rump (as far as we can see from 2nd picture)
- pale underwing (obvious from 2nd picture but really not from 3rd and 4th ...)
- bill with extensive pale base
- window

I find for my part that head shape is more michahellis than argentatus (and that in fact it's not a very usefull character)

Just my opinion on this interesting bird :scribe:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back