• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (2 Viewers)

So, after a night at Valéry's house (and eating at his small restaurant - delicious food!) We headed for the bridge over the Kazinga Channel, which links Lakes Edward and George. There's an extensive Papyrus swamp here, and along with the locals listed below we also saw a Sedge Warbler!

936) Black-headed Weaver
937) Lesser Swamp Warbler
938) Greater Swamp Warbler
939) Slender-billed Weaver
940) Papyrus Gonolek - much sought after and probably quite common, but the papyrus is very dense. But we saw two adults and a juvenile right by the road!
941) Blue-headed Coucal
942) Crimson-rumped Waxbill
943) Plain Martin - with hundreds of other Hirundines (loads of Sand Martins and Barn Swallows!)
Then into QE Park again for some other plains species:
944) Red-faced Cisticola
945) Purple-banded Sunbird
946) Scaly-breasted Honeyguide
947) Red-collared Widowbird
948) Red-shouldered Cuckoo-shrike
949) African Pipit
950) Temminck's Courser
We then headed for some crater lakes and along the way saw:
951) Grey-headed Kingfisher
952) Village Indigobird
And in one of the lakes:
953) Lesser Flamingo
On a nearby grassy area:
954) Spur-winged Lapwing
955) Kittlitz's Plover
956) Red-capped Lark
On the way back towards Kasese:
957) Violet-backed Starling
958) Wire-tailed Swallow
959) Red-Headed Quelea
960) Cardinal Quelea - Small, but significant - it might just be my 2000th world tick!
961) Yellow-throated Leaflove
962) Red-backed Shrike - yep, that's a year tick too!!
963) African Hobby
And at another stop near lake George:
964) Crowned Lapwing - Valéry always finds these here! We had a laugh with some small boys stalking us in the long grass too - they are all very friendly!

An example of Tib's quality photography: Red-capped Lark

Attachments

• Red-capped lark Queen Elizabeth NP (2).jpg
    Red-capped lark Queen Elizabeth NP (2).jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 76
Night at Kasese again, and we have decided to do a 'Big Day' to see how many species we can record, even after seeing 166 yesterday! We are in the QE park early and soon find more Lions loafing away the day.
Many Cape Buffalo. Uganda Kob, but only 2 Elephants all day!
965) Senegal Coucal
966) African Crake By the main road!
967) Wing-snapping Cisticola
968) Black-chinned Quailfinch
969) Black-winged Pratincole - a flock of 30 or so, which land just out of view....
970) Red-necked Falcon - beauty!
971) Tawny Eagle - ditto!
972) Northern Black Flycatcher - Oh how we chased around trying to catch up with this!
973) White-breasted Cormorant - many at the roost by the channel
974) African Spoonbill
975) Grey-headed Gull - good numbers with the Cormorants
976) Grey-headed Negrofinch
977) Wattled Starling - a late flock.
So not many added but the trip on the boat on the Kazinga Channel was spectacular! And we recorded 185 species - a record for Valéry!!

Sounds like a great trip. With Valéry and Tibs you were in very good hands indeed! The suspense is killing me, but I will just have to be patient, like everyone else. I hope you cracked the 1000 mark.

Let's see, We had a lie-in this morning! Then left Valéry's at about 9 and headed East. Long drive without adding anything before we go to the Nyinabulitwa Country Club - truly delightful, but we are the only visitors! We are by yet another Crater Lake, and the surroundings are spectacular. We laze around and see Great Blue Turaco, then:

978) Giant Kingfisher
Then drive down through the local forest where the local residents include:
979) Mountain Wagtail
980) Superb Sunbird
981) Yellow-throated Tinkerbird
982) Kakamega Greenbul
983) Olive-green Camaroptera
984) Green Crombec
985) Western Nicator - Beautiful!
986) Black Bee-eater - This I wanted to see, and was not disappointed!
987) Sooty flycatcher
988) Hairy-breasted Barbet
989) Grey-throated Barbet - weird tufts on it's head!!
990) Speckled Tinkerbird
And back near the Country Club:
991) Black Bishop
992) African Firefinch
993) Greater Honeyguide - Missed one a week ago, so good to catch up!
994) Purple-headed Starling - late flocks going to roost
Finally we walk down a track hoping for another Bush Robin and instead, find these sparklers in a small reed-bed:
995) Red-headed Bluebill - Shows well, if briefly!
996) White-winged Swamp Warbler - Another that Tib saw, briefly at the Kazinga bridge. This time he got pictures!

Well not many to go now, stay tuned!

LOL I just knew he was going to do that. I should have opened a book!!

Well the next day we visit the Bigodi forest, and it's quite tense as we approach the 4 I still need. This is another Community project with the locals dealing with the conservation work and earning a living from preserving the forest for their own benefit. Great stuff - we once again have a guide with us, but no need for AK47 this time!

997) Black Weaver
998) Ashy Flycatcher
999) Ansorge's Greenbul
1000) Red-headed Malimbe
1001) Brown Illadopsis - when we were trying to find this I thought it was No. 1000, so when I saw this dull brown bird in a bunch of dead palm leaves I really wasn't that excited, but we all shook hands anyway!!!
1002) Willcock's Honeyguide
1003) Yellow-spotted Barbet - Very smart indeed!
1004) Grey Parrot - missed on the first morning so good to see!
1005) Grey Tit-Flycatcher
1006) Joyful Greenbul - what a lovely name!
1007) Shining Kingfisher - wow, Maroon Jay you need to see this too!
1008) Magpie Mannikin
1009) Compact Weaver
1010) Dusky Blue Flycatcher
1011) White-spotted Flufftail - anyone familiar with this species will know how hard it is to see, brief but decisive!
After this great reserve we headed east again, and stopped briefly at the Skyblue Motel (admin job for Valéry) and Thibaut found this flying over:
1012) Gabar Goshawk

So we arrived at Masaka for the night and still Tib's amazing hearing is in overdrive, and while Valéry is dealing with the staff Tib hears a Woodpecker, we head out into the street and there it is, in the tree he thought it was in:
1013) Grey Woodpecker
A Nightjar is calling from the roof, but I'm too tired to try and find my way up there!

Next, and final day we drive on to the Mabamba Swamp, take a boat ride into the papyrus for the real BIGGIE!
1014) Long-toed Lapwing - several on floating vegetation
1015) Blue-breasted Bee-eater - here and there all around the swamp
1016) Lesser Jacana - delightful
We then leave the boat and head for a small hill overlooking the swamp:
1017) Banded Martin - one flies past
1018) Banded Snake-Eagle - this one was displaying then swooped own to land in a nearby tree!
1019) SHOEBILL - FINALLY, Valéry shouts SHOEBILL, and there it is flying high and a bit distant but it drifts slowly our way and eventually swoops down and lands - out of sight! However after a brief flight then another it does walk out into the open - good enough for telescope but not great photography.
We intended to head for Entebbe for some final birding in the Botanic Gardens, but the traffic around Kampala and along the Entebbe road defeats us. On the plus side, we have lunch at the best restaurant in Kampala!

So there we are - never in doubt!!!!

Still like to see the Penduline Tits in Exeter!

Last edited:
Well done Jon, congratulations and thank you for sharing your year with us. It been a pleasure following your experiences. I hope you have a good festive season and all the best for 2015

Tib's pics

1 White-winged Swamp Warbler - Nyinabulitwa
2 Western Banded Snake Eagle - Mabamba
3 African Jacana - Mabamba
4 Lesser Jacana - Mabamba
5 African Marsh Harrier - Mabamba

Attachments

• White-winged swamp-warbler Mabamba swamp.jpg
    White-winged swamp-warbler Mabamba swamp.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Western banded snake-eagle Mabamba swamp.jpg
    Western banded snake-eagle Mabamba swamp.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 51
  • African jacana Mabamba swamp.jpg
    African jacana Mabamba swamp.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Lesser jacana Mabamba swamp.jpg
    Lesser jacana Mabamba swamp.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 46
  • African marsh harrier Mabamba swamp.jpg
    African marsh harrier Mabamba swamp.jpg
    857.6 KB · Views: 57
And with many thanks to all for their help and encouragement along the way, special thanks to:
Chowchilla for the Atherton Tablelands trip
Dave Davies for the Werribee Wetlands drive
Mrs T for putting up with it all!
Niels for suggesting the Uganda trip
Valéry and Tib for the Uganda experience.
Many others along the way!

Well done Jon. What an awesome achievement, and seeing a Shoebill- wow!!! I'd love to attempt 1000 in a year sometime, I can't see it happening for a while though!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back