• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (2 Viewers)

362 days off?

Qué?

Target birdy is Arctic Warbler. And I should put to bed a few glaring anomalies in my European list with a trip to Turkey in May.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.....

Need to get rid of a stinking cold first. Shouldn't be flu - I had the jab! And anyway, what's wrong with someone else doing a challenge? So I can look in from the sidelines.

Need to get rid of a stinking cold first. Shouldn't be flu - I had the jab! And anyway, what's wrong with someone else doing a challenge? So I can look in from the sidelines.

Work is one of the things in the way of a challenge if you ask me B :)

Niels

I did 1000 in 112 days in East and Southern Africa back in 1997. Easy job. Must be possible in Eastern Africa in 5 or 6 weeks.

I did even longer lists in Panama than Costa Rica; but there are actually several countries to see 500 in 2 weeks. For instance, in Ethiopia it is fairly easy.

I seem to remember a mate of mine got 600-700 in three weeks in Kenya?

Andy

Very possible, yes, indeed. With Jon's trip, 470 in 10 days, keeping on 10 more days would have easily reached that too. I announce a 700+ in a month in October 2016, but in my mind I'm targeting 800... we will tell you!!

Many of the places we visited were covered by Noah Strycker in his big year challenge - I don't know how many species he saw in 12 days in Uganda - he only puts down those that are new for his year. I imagine it would have been a pretty impressive list.
Once again, if you haven't been - sort it out and go! Fabulous, thanks for the report Valéry.

Many of the places we visited were covered by Noah Strycker in his big year challenge - I don't know how many species he saw in 12 days in Uganda - he only puts down those that are new for his year. I imagine it would have been a pretty impressive list.
Once again, if you haven't been - sort it out and go! Fabulous, thanks for the report Valéry.

With pleasure, Jon! I'm trying to train somebody of my staff to publish them, because more I have trips, more I delay to write them... and the number of trips planned in 2016 almost doubles those of 2015... 3:)

I still have more pics, maybe next year I'll finish off this thread....

Hi Jon, I have just finished reading the whole of this thread.

It was so good, I have read it twice over the last few weeks !! :). 8-P

Belated congratulations on your fantastic achievement last year. :clap::clap::clap:

I have loved reading your sharing of your journey to get there, with its highs and lows and occasional trials and tribulations.

I have also loved looking at both yours and Tibs pics and reading the comments and help of those in the thread along the way.

Larry was right when he said that it read like a Christmas feel - good movie.

You certainly write well too and Paul ( Chapman) was justifiable in his praise of your writing skills. I especially loved the way you kept everyone on the edge of their seats too, to see if you would make it. Had I been a member of Bird Forum at the time I would have also been hanging on that cliff edge too, willing you to get there. You certainly didn't make it easy for yourself ;);)

With regard to your comment above, that I have quoted, I for one would be most interested to see the other pics that you have, if you feel so inclined to finish off the thread...

Best wishes and thank you again for sharing your journey with us .

Carol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back