• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x?, still can't decide... (1 Viewer)

RedBishop

I've been spending hours trying to figure out what is going to be my new binos.
I currently own the old SWIFT ultralite 10x42 model and I am very happy with it, but the focus knob is no longer what it used to be and I also feel it's about time for the next step.

I already searched the web from every possible direction, but after deciding what I want, I just can't find the binos that will much my needs...

This is what I know:
1. I decided the mag of 8 should be better for me than the 10, so this is what I'm looking at now.
2. Weight is THE major factor; 24oz (680gr) is just about the max.
3. Eye-relief is the second important part; I find it very important to have a long eye relief to allow a relaxing view, so +18mm is what I'm searching for.
4. Diameter - I'm very happy with the light gathering of the swift 42 diameters, but this is not important as long as I can still use the binoculars in low light conditions.
5. $$$$ - 650 is the limit I currently set.

One last important note, Unfortunately, I can't test any binoculars in the field; I'll have to buy from the Internet and hope for good.

Any help on pointing me to possible candidates is highly appreciated.

RedBishop said:
I currently own the old SWIFT ultralite 10x42 model and I am very happy with it, but the focus knob is no longer what it used to be and I also feel it's about time for the next step.

I already searched the web from every possible direction, but after deciding what I want, I just can't find the binos that will much my needs...

This is what I know:
1. I decided the mag of 8 should be better for me than the 10, so this is what I'm looking at now.
3. Eye-relief is the second important part; I find it very important to have a long eye relief to allow a relaxing view, so +18mm is what I'm searching for.
4. Diameter - I'm very happy with the light gathering of the swift 42 diameters, but this is not important as long as I can still use the binoculars in low light conditions.

One last important note, Unfortunately, I can't test any binoculars in the field; I'll have to buy from the Internet and hope for good.

There are several to choose from, why not look at www.eagleoptics.com, pick out a couple of possibles, call them, tell them what your desires are. They are very helpful at this and willing to take whatever time is needed. They give you a 30 day return privelege so if what you get turns out not to be what you thought, you can return for credit or exchange. I've ordered a number of things from them and as almost every American on the forum will tell you, they are highly reputable.

Jaeger near Chicago

I think i might...

Robert Ellis said:
Why not buy the 8x32 SE and call it a day?

I think I might just do that.
The SEs seems a great possibility, I just have one concern about these, I understand from the so many posts that optically they are at the top, what I'm not sure about is how relaxing is the view through them? Is it as expected from a 17mm binos, or is it more difficult to enjoy the optical performances? (Again, I understand that I can easily just go and check it in a store, it's just that there is nothing like it around here and so I have to rely on other's opinions).

One last thing, I see that 600$ is the price in the majority of the online stores, anyone aware of a trustable site with lower price?

The ease of view seems user dependent, how your face is shaped if you will, but careful and correct interpupillary setting makes all the difference.

Eagle Optics has a good price, which is why they don't show it on their site. They also do 30 day returns, so if they don't work out for you they can go right back, for exchange or refund,

RedBishop said:

This is what I know:

Please oh please don't get an outdated Nikon SE. Watch E-bay. An 8x42 Zeiss FL just went for about $850.00. Stretch your budget a little and you have got the best.

Dennis

The SE is still optically superior to anything. If you like it and it works with your face there is nothing that can top it as far as bang for your buck.

Robert Ellis said:
The SE is still optically superior to anything. If you like it and it works with your face there is nothing that can top it as far as bang for your buck.

Where do you come up with the idea that the Nikon SE is optically superior to anything. That's the biggest bunch of baloney I have ever heard of. Both Better View Desired and Aluva have ranked roof prisms over the SE. I think you are reading some old tests or you haven't looked through a new Zeiss FL. I had SE Nikon's and they were noway superior to some of the modern roof prisms. Don't spread your biased opinions to unexperienced or unknowing people. Cmon give me a break!

Dennis

Where do you come up with the idea that the Nikon SE is optically superior to anything. That's the biggest bunch of baloney I have ever heard of. Both Better View Desired and Aluva have ranked roof prisms over the SE. I think you are reading some old tests or you haven't looked through a new Zeiss FL. I had SE Nikon's and they were noway superior to some of the modern roof prisms. Don't spread your biased opinions to unexperienced or unknowing people. Cmon give me a break!

Dennis

If anyone is biased, and obviously so, it would be you sir. The image of the SE is sharper, both in the middle and at the edge, than anything else. Color is superb, contrast is off the charts, and there is so little CA one would have to set up a test to actually find it, it is simply not seen. The optics if tthe SE series are unmatched, and I am not the only one who agrees. Alula uses a 10x SE as their reference do they not? BVD had the top bin honor shared because the SE is unmatched optically though not waterproof, so the closest roof gets the nod of you need it.

FLs are soft on the edge and do show some CA. How can soft edges and some CA be better than edge to edge sharpness and lack of CA?

Good idea. Most of the 8x3_ should work. Though I like the view of some 50mm binoculars, all day carrying is a bit of work.

Dennis

Grow up and learn how to read.

RedBishop said:
I think I might just do that.
The SEs seems a great possibility, I just have one concern about these, I understand from the so many posts that optically they are at the top, what I'm not sure about is how relaxing is the view through them? Is it as expected from a 17mm binos, or is it more difficult to enjoy the optical performances? (Again, I understand that I can easily just go and check it in a store, it's just that there is nothing like it around here and so I have to rely on other's opinions).

One last thing, I see that 600$ is the price in the majority of the online stores, anyone aware of a trustable site with lower price?

For $600, no binocular will come close to the 8x32 SE. It has its shortcomings: (1) it is not waterproof, (2) the focus stiffens in cold weather, starting around 50 degrees fahrenheit (at least on a cloudy day at that temperature), and (3) its eyecups are either up or folded down; there is no in-between.

The view is as relaxing as they come. Some users report blackouts with them, but I have never had that experience. I have used them non-stop for ten and twelve hours at a time without any eyestrain.

I have used mine heavily for five years and I consistently am able to see things that companions cannot see with 10x binoculars--either in terms of fine detail, or on the shady side of backlit birds.

If you are looking for something for occasional foul weather you need to consider alternatives.

Steady Guys

Robert Ellis said:
If anyone is biased, and obviously so, it would be you sir. The image of the SE is sharper, both in the middle and at the edge, than anything else. Color is superb, contrast is off the charts, and there is so little CA one would have to set up a test to actually find it, it is simply not seen. The optics if tthe SE series are unmatched, and I am not the only one who agrees. Alula uses a 10x SE as their reference do they not? BVD had the top bin honor shared because the SE is unmatched optically though not waterproof, so the closest roof gets the nod of you need it.

FLs are soft on the edge and do show some CA. How can soft edges and some CA be better than edge to edge sharpness and lack of CA?

Wow whats gone off here !!

I know we all get heated or passionate over our own personal favourites in optics but before we all fall out needlessly here's another take on it

There will always be folk who prefer roof type bins for various reasons and there will always be folk who love traditional porro's for a different set of reasons

For some viewers of nature and the world a huge wad of pounds/dollars spent on optics will always just be a "bridge too far" whether financially or simply out of principle
Obviously for those folk a certain percentage of "top tier" models may then be more off limits (even secondhand sometimes) however i am and remain personally grateful that there are still "tremendous" performers available at less cost and i just think whether it be Nikon SE Zeiss FL Leica trin ultra Swaro.... and so on its still excellent news that both sets of choices are around allowing superb viewing (thats what we buy them for isnt it ?)
We are, i think talking about tiny percentage differences in optical performance at the higher ends of porro and roof models some users may not even be desperately interested or indeed always able to discern these small variations provided the view they see is gratifying to them personally
Others on the forum and in the field with greater time and experience are perhaps better able to see such subtleties and fine differences between styles and models (again some of us should be indebted to these folk as i for one cannot always entirely make comparitive conclusion when the differences are tiny)

Anyway
Lets not say "my bin is the best" period rather lets enjoy the choices we make and use
There is nothing wrong with seeking optical nirvana and i am as guilty as anyone else constantly expecting more but surely the two models being disputed on this thread are excellent in differing ways some will prefer modern methodology and others will always cherish the "traditional" values
To balance this out why not say "all that glitters is not necessarily gold" and that the "good old days" were not all necessarily good

Rich T

Steady on now chaps, they´re only binoculars. Let´s all us birders be civil, and tolerate alternative opinions about what is and isn´t a good piece of equipment. We all, after all, have different eyes.

I tolerate his opinion, he does not tolerate mine.

He only respects opinions that agree with his, that the 10x42 FL is top.

Last edited:
Robert Ellis said:
I tolerate his opinion, he does not tolerate mine.

He only respects opinions that agree with his, that the 10x42 FL is top.

And I stand behind my brief response to him above.

Can he find a quote somewhere in BVD in which Stephen Ingraham ranked the optical performance of any 8x roof-prism binocular over the 8x32 SE? As of the time Ingraham quit contributing to BVD, he still ranked the SE as the best all-around birding binocular.

I have never claimed that the 8x32 SE is the ultimate binocular for every situation, and I don't believe that any other contributor to the forum has. But given the shortcomings I noted, nothing else I have handled surpassed the SE optically, including the 8x FL, to which I have directly compared it.

I am no brand fanatic, and I own or have owned Leica, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss, and other brands. I handle every binocular I can get my hands on. I respect the opinions of the contributors to the forum whose opinions are clearly grounded in knowledge and experience. I do not respect ill-informed or juvenile assertions that are shot like flaming arrows into a room before slamming the door.

If you want a good deal on a quality 8x42 roof prism, look at the Docter offering. Cabela's has these on sale right now for $579.00. This is a great deal on a very good bino.

ranburr

A man convinced against his will,
is of the same opinion still.

It matters not how much he's shown,
he still loves his very own.

That's simply how it works, my friends,
and also how the story ends.

Elkcub :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back