• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Day of Binocular Shopping... (1 Viewer)

elkcub said:
Bawko,
I'd like to copy some of this to my "Picking the (B)Right Binoculars" thread. Hope you don't mind. Let me know if it's okay. Thanks,
-elk

elkcub,

No problem - you did all the work, I just copied some published figures! ;)

Best wishes,
Bawko

marcus said:
OK, Bawko
I was thinking about getting a new pair, and was considering the Alpin 8x42. I'll probably get them now. Thanks.
marcus

marcus,

Just a few quick things. First off, the models I looked at were the Alpen "Apex" model, typically retailing between $289 and $400 (depending on where you buy them). They have "Japan" or "Made in Japan" on the focus wheel, and are green in color (although I believe they are also available in a camouflage version too). In any case, please do yourself a BIG favor and personally look through them yourself before buying, or at least buy them from a place that won't penalize you for getting a refund if you end up not liking them. Binoculars can be very subjective, and it is never a good idea to buy based on someone elses recommendations alone. Nothing beats first hand experience, especially with optics!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
marcus,

Nothing beats first hand experience, especially with optics!

Best wishes,
Bawko
I don't think that any BirdForum member knows that more than me Bawko. Since there are not many optic stores that I can get to and try out some binoculars before buying one I almost always have had to send away for them, through mail or online, and just hope that they will be decent. I'd just like to believe that your being such bino expert makes your opinion about those Alpens good. But I'll take your advice. I'll wait till I can try out one before I buy a new one.
And now I know from you that I am not the only birder who likes buying new binoculars.
marcus

marcus said:
I'd just like to believe that your being such bino expert makes your opinion about those Alpens good. But I'll take your advice. I'll wait till I can try out one before I buy a new one.
And now I know from you that I am not the only birder who likes buying new binoculars.
marcus

Marcus,

I'm still grinning from the above! Probably 75% of my disposable income goes toward binoculars... yes, I do like buying new optics! ;)

As for being "such a bino expert", I am flattered - but I must disagree. I'm just an average joe machinist/engineer who has an unholy fascination with binoculars and birds... no other technology intrigues me quite like optics, and I've lived my whole life around the latest, greatest, highest-tech machinery and electronics. Something about the sheer simplicity of binoculars, yet incredible technology required to make binoculars sort of sets them apart from all other tools, in my opinion. I wish I were a binocular expert, I am learning everything I can about them and doing all the comparisons and measurements that my free time allows, but I'm still far from being an expert like Steve Ingraham.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back