• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A distant NELondon Accipiter this morning. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenM

No time for the bins on this, distant, on a grey morning.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9458.jpeg
    IMG_9458.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9456.jpeg
    IMG_9456.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9452.jpeg
    IMG_9452.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
I can see vague barring on the secondaries in the last photo- with the actual photos I believe that the barring would be much more distinguishable. Please post the actual photos.
Am away from home at the mo, thus I can only lighten the existing images that should suffice in the interim.👍

Attachments

• IMG_9452.jpeg
    IMG_9452.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9456.jpeg
    IMG_9456.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9456.jpeg
    IMG_9456.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9458.jpeg
    IMG_9458.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
What is it Ken?
Cheers

I don’t know Roy, all I’ve got, is what you and I can see?
Bewick made reference to barred secondaries up post, am unsure about this feature, don’t know how reliable it is?
Here’s a shot I took of an immature Norfolk bird a few years back, am unsure of the sex or the age, 1st year/2nd year, also am unsure as to what age the secondary barring fades, obviously pre adult, other than that I don’t have a scooby.😮

Attachments

• IMG_9103.jpeg
    IMG_9103.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I don’t know Roy, all I’ve got, is what you and I can see?
Bewick made reference to barred secondaries up post, am unsure about this feature, don’t know how reliable it is?
Here’s a shot I took of an immature Norfolk bird a few years back, am unsure of the sex or the age, 1st year/2nd year, also am unsure as to what age the secondary barring fades, obviously pre adult, other than that I don’t have a scooby.😮
Was that in the Brecks, near a well known Goshawk watch point? I think from memory it was deemed a young Goshawk att. About the bird photographed today, any flight characteristics you noticed that may have been different to a Sparrowhawk.
😕 Who is Roy btw?

Was that in the Brecks, near a well known Goshawk watch point? I think from memory it was deemed a young Goshawk att. About the bird photographed today, any flight characteristics you noticed that may have been different to a Sparrowhawk.
😕 Who is Roy btw?

Apologies I meant Pat 😮, no not the Brecks, it was over open farmland, (not exactly Gos country)….but then nor is Berlin.😮

Regarding flight characteristics, appearing briefly above the canopy before disappearing back through, which is often the norm.
On this occasion it powered up before a short soar, before diving down.

Too brief a view as is often the case, not enough time to form an opinion either way, thought it looked interesting though.😮

Cheers

Shame, one that got away. I've had nearby Goshawk cruising low over open fields between stands of established mixed woodlands, as much must be the norm.
Not heard of any display flights yet, despite the mild weather......perhaps in a fortnight or so when the days get longer and with the early changing seasons.
Maybe next time.

Hello,

yes, iirc Ken once said its a Sony Cybershot RX10 M4.

Regarding your Goshawk from post #12: it has a juvenile plumage (1cy or 2cy, depending on the date), please compare: Northern Goshawk flight identification and ageing in the UK - Revised and updated (excellent, thanks!)

Please post the originals Ken! Please note, that even the shape/proportions of your bird can be distorted in BOC, not speaking of colouration/darkness and loss of fine details like the barring on the secondaries.

But as you all already know, I cant resist: (changing to quiz modus, no offence Ken you know): If the choice is between Goshawk and Sparrowhawk, its a Sparrowhawk imo. I looked at the BOC and I think that your bird shows a small darker (upper-)head and a contrasting paler throat, with little contrasting to the breast=uniform. My gut feeling is that this is a jizz-feature, that might well be judgded with confidence and that a Goshawk should show a larger darker head and a smaller paler throat??? And that the appearant small head in relation to the stocky body is also better for Sparrowhawk.

Please post the originals, Ken! (Late Christmas present, I promise to be good this year)

Hello,

yes, iirc Ken once said its a Sony Cybershot RX10 M4.

Regarding your Goshawk from post #12: it has a juvenile plumage (1cy or 2cy, depending on the date), please compare: Northern Goshawk flight identification and ageing in the UK - Revised and updated (excellent, thanks!)

Please post the originals Ken! Please note, that even the shape/proportions of your bird can be distorted in BOC, not speaking of colouration/darkness and loss of fine details like the barring on the secondaries.

But as you all already know, I cant resist: (changing to quiz modus, no offence Ken you know): If the choice is between Goshawk and Sparrowhawk, its a Sparrowhawk imo. I looked at the BOC and I think that your bird shows a small darker (upper-)head and a contrasting paler throat, with little contrasting to the breast=uniform. My gut feeling is that this is a jizz-feature, that might well be judgded with confidence and that a Goshawk should show a larger darker head and a smaller paler throat??? And that the appearant small head in relation to the stocky body is also better for Sparrowhawk.

Please post the originals, Ken! (Late Christmas present, I promise to be good this year)
Ha cute! Only three days left o f this year Alexander 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back