• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ACTION NEEDED: Capitalization of English names on Wikipedia (1 Viewer)

Really, even in ordinary text? "I was roaring drunk last night and smashed my car into the Sugar Maple on the corner". Well, okay, I guess. . .. ;)
Where's the evidence that Alex gets roaring drunk?? I think this is an unfair slur! :-O

I think we should also always add the scientific name, too. I can't bear Ursus it when people fail to do this.

B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

No Sugar Maples in Switzerland that I'm aware of. Plenty of Beer, though.

Canton capital?

(Quick Wikipedia check later...)

A-ha! Bern is the capital of the Swiss canton of Bern! Triple-pun lives!

(And AlexC, I've also used capitalization for all species since I argued that Giant Panda was the correct form in a paper I wrote in a high school English class.)

Last edited:
From A Catalogue of Plants, Native Or Naturalized, in the Vicinity of New Bern ... By Hardy Bryan Croom, 1837....

...and from Plants Database...:t:
MJB
Out of date . . . split as Black Maple Acer nigrum (syn. Acer saccharum subsp. nigrum) :t:

The Plants Database map is useless, as it only shows by state - so a few high up in the Appalachians gets it mapped for the whole state ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back