• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone can recommend a good binocular under 200 euro? I prefer 8x32. (1 Viewer)

Good luck.

You might think about visiting a reputable dealer/shop, and trying out something used in your price range.

“Good optical performance” is a bit subjective, but you should be able to find something suitable.

To some extent, it depends on your eyesight.

Boy! That pins it right down.
It's a Komz 8x30. THE classic soviet bino in my book. I got 4 of them and the modern version that was sold by Levenhuk with newer coatings that no longer have the yellow tint of the older models. Quite a nice and sturdy bino with good optics. Not the best bino ever made but a solid performer.
kdkeu.jpg

What features of new binocular must be "better"?
Just "better" is not good enough.
The weakness of the BPC 8x30 are the old coatings, like with basically all old binos. Optics are pretty sharp. So I am guessing, most modern day binos would be an improvement over a USSR 8x30 Komz.
It does have a decent FoV at a stated 150m/1,000m.
I think the already mentioned Kowa porro is a good, improved alternative to an 8x30 Komz. As would be an Opticron. Or a Nikon Action EX.

All of the above (Kowa YF; Opticron Adventurer, Vortex Diamondback HD) are worth checking and offer really good value. I really like the Adventurer, but I've had mixed experiences with quality control, something that I have not experienced with the Kowa (then the Kowa is more expensive).

Another addition to the list can be the Svbony sv202 ED 8x32, that can be had for around 90 - 130 €, depending on offers, and is just a mind-blowing achievement in terms of value, being probably as good as the Diamondback (if not better in many areas), but at half the price. However, it does not have the stellar Vortex warranty, which is something to consider, and also Svbony has been reported to also have mixed experiences when it comes to quality control. I bought an 8x32 recently and my unit is flawless. I think the level of sharpness and contrast on axis would probably please the OP, as well as the usability (nice and soft focus wheel, comfortable eyecups and armour, etc.).

As an alternative, as @Elkhornsun mentiones, buying 2nd hand (which takes a bit of time, patience and, why not, a bit of luck) can yield great results. For 200 € I have bought things like a Monarch 7 8x30, which is a really very nice binocular, or the other day I saw a Kite Petrel 8x32 for less than 200 €, another really very good device. So it could be a good idea to check the 2nd hand market, both in your area or around here in Birdforum, or else in other sites where you can find trustworthy sellers.

Not sure if long eye-relief is a requirement because the SV202 8x32 is horrible in that regard (but other, more well-known brands are, too, like the Nikon P7 8x30 which is unusable with glasses despite claims to the contrary by Nikon). A Nikon Action EX 7x35 would be a better alternative in that case. Never tried the 8x40 Action EX, so don't know about eye-relief on that one. The Nikon A-EX doesn't have the best coatings though and one surface of the objectice doublet seems to be completely uncoated.
The Opticron Adventurer in 6.5x32 works, too for me with glasses, the 8x32 doesn't really.

Not sure if long eye-relief is a requirement because the SV202 8x32 is horrible in that regard (but other, more well-known brands are, too, like the Nikon P7 8x30 which is unusable with glasses despite claims to the contrary by Nikon). A Nikon Action EX 7x35 would be a better alternative in that case. Never tried the 8x40 Action EX, so don't know about eye-relief on that one. The Nikon A-EX doesn't have the best coatings though and one surface of the objectice doublet seems to be completely uncoated.
The Opticron Adventurer in 6.5x32 works, too for me with glasses, the 8x32 doesn't really.
I have just tried the sv202 8x32, Adventure TWP 6.5x32 and Ultima 8x32.

What I find is:
The SV202s are usable with glasses, not too dissimilar to the Adventure. However, I prefer to use the sv202 without glasses as they focus past infinity to about -7D, just at the limit of my myopia.
The Adventure does not overfocus past infinity enough to allow glassless viewing unfortunately.
The Ultima too focusses past infinity sufficiently to be used without glasses, but if necessary they are just about useable with glasses, however they do have the tightest ER of the three.
I guess face shape etc could be the deciding factor if glasses are necessary....

What I find is:
The SV202s are usable with glasses, not too dissimilar to the Adventure. However, I prefer to use the sv202 without glasses as they focus past infinity to about -7D, just at the limit of my myopia.
That is proof how indiviual those things are (and why the standard advice always is to test them in a store). The SV202 8x32 definitely doesn't work for me with glasses at all (I can see maybe around half of the already narrow FoV) and my particular specimen has almost no leeway past infinity. Just as alread suggested in the thread, there might be variations between different production runs.

That is proof how indiviual those things are (and why the standard advice always is to test them in a store). The SV202 8x32 definitely doesn't work for me with glasses at all (I can see maybe around half of the already narrow FoV) and my particular specimen has almost no leeway past infinity. Just as alread suggested in the thread, there might be variations between different production runs.
That's interesting....
I have 2 sets of all sizes and they all seem to be reasonably consistent in focus past infinity.
I haven't actually compared back to back, but I know I can use them all without glasses at -7D....just.
I thought the FoV for the 8x32s was good at 136m/1000m and seems accurate when compared against other bins, but I haven't tried to measure accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back