• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOS to discard patronyms in English names (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are having issues with white men because they were white men, how about having issues with the words Aztec and Inca, which are indelibly linked to human sacrifice at a grand scale?
Mexican/Nahua and Peruvian/Quechua are better options.
I think that they do have a problem with those names, but not because of the fact that those particular people engaged in atrocities. It is because our using their names is "cultural appropriation."

Are there many species named for women? Surely can't be many!
Far fewer than men.

Off the top of my head in the AOS area there's Lucy's, Virginia's and Blackburnian Warblers

Elsewhere there's Eleonora's Falcon, Thekla's Lark, various Koepcke's birds and some named after wives of collectors- Mrs. Hume's, Mrs. Moreau's, Mrs. Gould's etc...

Far fewer than men.

Off the top of my head in the AOS area there's Lucy's, Virginia's and Blackburnian Warblers

Elsewhere there's Eleonora's Falcon, Thekla's Lark, various Koepcke's birds and some named after wives of collectors- Mrs. Hume's, Mrs. Moreau's, Mrs. Gould's etc...
Narina Trogon is a funny one. I would like to know how the anti-eponym people think about a bird named after a Khoikhoi woman.

"Surely they ate Bartram's Sandpiper?" Yes. I seem to remember refering to him as a "little puke" and not in a positive way.

By the way, here is the detailed list of the actual process to be used, and the priority given to different groups of birds.

Blackburnian, Anna, Virginia, and Lucy come to mind
We were discussing suitable new names for Anna's Hummingbird at the kitchen table this morning. Didn't come up with much, but then inventing vernacular names for hummingbirds is a really difficult task.

More female honorifics:

Victoria Crowned-Pigeon
Victoria's Riflebird
Zenaida Dove (for Zénaïde Laetitia Julie Bonaparte, wife of the French ornithologist Charles Lucien Bonaparte and niece of Napoleon Bonaparte)
Princess Parrot (for Princess Alexandra of Denmark)
I read that the Gouldian Finch was named for ornithologist John Gould's wife.

Narina Trogon was already mentioned -- I read that this was the name of Francois Levaillant's mistress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back