• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are the Swarovski NL 8x32s the best birding binoculars? (1 Viewer)

I for one do not think the 8x32NL’s are necessarily the best birding binoculars. Probably one of the best, maybe in the top three. If you want to measure it by stats alone, yes. And of course we all know that there is not one best Binocular for one purpose for everybody. You see how I maneuvered back to the OP, after my political dig. 😉

Paul
I haven't tried NLs but I am sure they are excellent instruments. When you say they are maybe in 'the top three' if you measure it 'by stats', do you mean it's specifications (i.e fov, close focus), or what you imagine it's sales figures are like?
Notice how I was inspired by your example and stayed focused on the OP?

Lee

I haven't tried NLs but I am sure they are excellent instruments. When you say they are maybe in 'the top three' if you measure it 'by stats', do you mean it's specifications (i.e fov, close focus), or what you imagine it's sales figures are like?

Lee
Lee, I did mean optical stats, definitely not sales numbers. My guess would be that $2500 binoculars dont have huge sales figures. My opinion is the SF, NL and EL’s in 32mm fit into the best birding binoculars in that format. Of course we can throw in one or two more others , but one of these three will most likely fit most birders and check the most boxes of the best for birding.

Dennis’s OP as customary for him , was to elicit emotional responses by picking that one binocular to get the rabbit hole opened. It’s all about preference, preference and preference, but putting money aside, which is very difficult, to the almost as good crowd and the not worth it crowd for 5-10% gain, it’s hard to argue that these three wouldn’t fall into the best birding binoculars category.

Paul.

Lee, I did mean optical stats, definitely not sales numbers. My guess would be that $2500 binoculars dont have huge sales figures. My opinion is the SF, NL and EL’s in 32mm fit into the best birding binoculars in that format. Of course we can throw in one or two more others , but one of these three will most likely fit most birders and check the most boxes of the best for birding.

Dennis’s OP as customary for him , was to elicit emotional responses by picking that one binocular to get the rabbit hole opened. It’s all about preference, preference and preference, but putting money aside, which is very difficult, to the almost as good crowd and the not worth it crowd for 5-10% gain, it’s hard to argue that these three wouldn’t fall into the best birding binoculars category.

Paul.
Thanks Paul

Lee

SF, NL and EL x32 are the most expensive birding binoculars in the most popular size from the most premium European makes. That much is certain. They should be the best.

I find the law of diminished returns sets in, in force, from £200 - £300 up if you know what to look for, i doubt there would be any difference with a well chosen conventional binoculars ability to i.d a bird from this point up to the top end - a good thing for anyone interested in ornithology but not for engaging debate!

Lee

SF, NL and EL x32 are the most expensive birding binoculars in the most popular size from the most premium European makes. That much is certain. They should be the best.

I find the law of diminished returns sets in, in force, from £200 - £300 up if you know what to look for, i doubt there would be any difference with a well chosen conventional binoculars ability to i.d a bird from this point up to the top end - a good thing for anyone interested in ornithology but not for engaging debate!
William , I agree 100%, maybe 95%, no 92.5%, that’s it 92.5%. Now the best has a lot more than just identifying a bird. Its like a wellcraft will float on the water just like a Donzi, a Kea will drive you to your destination, a Poreche will get you there with more enjoyment, a Taurus 1911 will hit the target just fine, but it would be nicer doing it with a custom Ed Brown or Wilson combat.

To ad to your point, I find I can go out for an enjoyable afternoon of observing with a good pair $300 binoculars and not miss anything, I just enjoy it more with an SF, EL or NL.

In Dennis’s post he brings out what is , or close to the best birding binocular in the 32mm format , when money is not the concern. The preference comes in when we start to factor in money, that’s why I put in that little disclaimer “Money aside”.

Paul

The Conservative Party won the election, so having been voted-in by the people they stay in power until the next general election.
The Prime Minister gets voted on by the party and can be changed if they lose the confidence of the party.

Lee
and in theory they're supposed to stick to the manifesto they were voted in on, but Liz Truss seemed to ignore that (not that Boris didn't break a few manifesto pledges)...

and in theory they're supposed to stick to the manifesto they were voted in on, but Liz Truss seemed to ignore that (not that Boris didn't break a few manifesto pledges)...
Hmmm, that sounds like a reasonable stance , you follow through on your promises or your gone. The american president has not, you guys can get rid of them without having to wait four years of damage , with a year and a half of campaigning and over $1 billion spent for an election. And even then they can get reelected.

Maybe Elon Musk can design a radical new type of binoculars or optics , that leaders or politicians can look through and see the damage that they are causing. 🤔

William , I agree 100%, maybe 95%, no 92.5%, that’s it 92.5%. Now the best has a lot more than just identifying a bird. Its like a wellcraft will float on the water just like a Donzi, a Kea will drive you to your destination, a Poreche will get you there with more enjoyment, a Taurus 1911 will hit the target just fine, but it would be nicer doing it with a custom Ed Brown or Wilson combat.

To ad to your point, I find I can go out for an enjoyable afternoon of observing with a good pair $300 binoculars and not miss anything, I just enjoy it more with an SF, EL or NL.

In Dennis’s post he brings out what is , or close to the best birding binocular in the 32mm format , when money is not the concern. The preference comes in when we start to factor in money, that’s why I put in that little disclaimer “Money aside”.

Paul
I take solace from Holger Merlitz who apparently uses his eii 8x30 most of the time despite having a wx (and various others) at his disposal. Or Gijs who seems quite content with his meopta's. There's sometimes a nuanced pleasure that comes with using binoculars that are not chasing the clear, flat, wide, sharp, bright, perfect colour rendition criteria that seem to currently define the "best". You could count most leica's along with those that aren't chasing those criteria too.

It depends what type of image and handling appeals to you once your above the level where there is not much difference in making an i.d however much you spend on a non I.s bin. In terms of weight, balance and handling there is still a choice at the top of the zeiss and swarro range, in terms of image - not so much.

As an out and out tool I know my 8x56slc is the best I've looked through but in terms of enjoyment I get just as much pleasure from my £200 opticron srga but that's just me.

and in theory they're supposed to stick to the manifesto they were voted in on
Thanks, that helps. I couldn't sort that out of the general confusion, who it was that had changed their mind(s) so quickly.

I take solace from Holger Merlitz who apparently uses his eii 8x30 most of the time
A recent thread has got me thinking that the perfect-flat-field approach is really just an attempt to better distinguish alpha binoculars and help insecure buyers avoid feeling foolish in the face of all the wretched harping on value for money. So I want to be clear that's not why we love our EII.

Last edited:

Paul
What I see in this original thread is a 1 dimensional response coming from the O.P., repeated over and over in most of his replies. In this case it was a variant of "very large FOV, sharp to the edges". So, no matter what other folks offer up as preferences, concepts, alternatives, all you get is some version of that response. A meaningful exchange of information isn't really the goal, imho. What seems to motivate that person more is specs like 'post count', which he has trumpeted in the past as being a crucial measure of his value to this forum. One can double the post count on a thread simply by replying to every post with effectively the same information. Bingo!
This could be a vintage stereo forum, or fly fishing gear... doesn't matter. The behavior is not about the subject, it appears to be one individual's desire to be in the limelight as much as possible, for as long as possible.

-Bill

I take solace from Holger Merlitz who apparently uses his eii 8x30 most of the time despite having a wx (and various others) at his disposal. Or Gijs who seems quite content with his meopta's. There's sometimes a nuanced pleasure that comes with using binoculars that are not chasing the clear, flat, wide, sharp, bright, perfect colour rendition criteria that seem to currently define the "best". You could count most leica's along with those that aren't chasing those criteria too.

It depends what type of image and handling appeals to you once your above the level where there is not much difference in making an i.d however much you spend on a non I.s bin. In terms of weight, balance and handling there is still a choice at the top of the zeiss and swarro range, in terms of image - not so much.

As an out and out tool I know my 8x56slc is the best I've looked through but in terms of enjoyment I get just as much pleasure from my £200 opticron srga but that's just me.
The word "BEST" does not belong in discussions of any type of consumer optics. It doesn't/can't exist! Engineers know that and only use it when they are placating the novice engineer wannabe. I am honored that my Nikon 8x32 SE was promoted to the ranks of the "alpha." But while it takes it's place among the "alphas" I have owned, my birding binocular is a cheap-o 8x40 B&L. It cost a fraction as much and provides every bit as much resolution, contrast, and enjoyment ... especially with the number of people who have oohed and aawhed that I still have it. Fortunately, I'm not rich and have no need to brag about all the money I can waste. I would rather be remembered as a fellow who was always short on money but one who had a good handle on optical realities.

I think it reasonable to choose an E2 over a Wx for birding 🤪.

Nothing wrong with just clear , sharp and bright without the large flat FOV.

The word "BEST" does not belong in discussions of any type of consumer optics. It doesn't/can't exist! Engineers know that and only use it when they are placating the novice engineer wannabe. I am honored that my Nikon 8x32 SE was promoted to the ranks of the "alpha." But while it takes it's place among the "alphas" I have owned, my birding binocular is a cheap-o 8x40 B&L. It cost a fraction as much and provides every bit as much resolution, contrast, and enjoyment ... especially with the number of people who have oohed and aawhed that I still have it. Fortunately, I'm not rich and have no need to brag about all the money I can waste. I would rather be remembered as a fellow who was always short on money but one who had a good handle on optical realities.
Wouldn’t it be equally nice to be remembered for the fellow who had a good handle on optical realities and who was financially filthy rich who handed out binoculars to the poor. 🤪

Wouldn’t it be equally nice to be remembered for the fellow who had a good handle on optical realities and who was financially filthy rich who handed out binoculars to the poor. 🤪
I will gladly agree with that. If I could afford a lawyer I could blow the doors to my case wide open. Alas, I can't. But I was born into a family that thought poverty was for rich folks. I'm miles better off than that. So while I strive to have someone in authority read my documentation, I will sate myself with counting my many blessings. Like not being bitten by this morning's visitor (attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.03.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.03.13 PM.png
    992.9 KB · Views: 17
I will gladly agree with that. If I could afford a lawyer I could blow the doors to my case wide open. Alas, I can't. But I was born into a family that thought poverty was for rich folks. I'm miles better off than that. So while I strive to have someone in authority read my documentation, I will sate myself with counting my many blessings. Like not being bitten by this morning's visitor (attached).
Wow , spiders. I love spiders , taste like chicken 😂

What I see in this original thread is a 1 dimensional response coming from the O.P., repeated over and over in most of his replies. In this case it was a variant of "very large FOV, sharp to the edges". So, no matter what other folks offer up as preferences, concepts, alternatives, all you get is some version of that response. A meaningful exchange of information isn't really the goal, imho. What seems to motivate that person more is specs like 'post count', which he has trumpeted in the past as being a crucial measure of his value to this forum. One can double the post count on a thread simply by replying to every post with effectively the same information. Bingo!
This could be a vintage stereo forum, or fly fishing gear... doesn't matter. The behavior is not about the subject, it appears to be one individual's desire to be in the limelight as much as possible, for as long as possible.

-Bill
Bill , that’s because he was getting ready to post them for sale, now it’ll have to wait until November.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back