• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 vs CL Companion 8x30 (2 Viewers)

I think I read something about the first gen did not have Swarovision (SV), and then they added it. The field pro should be the same as the SV version, but with the newer style of (annoying) lugs. There may be more to it, but that's the simple version afaik. Someone here probably knows the dates and serial numbers that go along with the changes.
Thank you. Also "lugs"? Are those the hinges for the neckstrap?

I wonder if Helia would ever get the discontinued ELs? Though from what I gather they've been gone a while now. I remember joining here around the time the NL Pure's were released. (I think)

between my spouse and I, we have both the CL and the NL. I use the CL mainly but have used the NL plenty.

The CL eye cups are a hair narrow for an x30. They are not as tiny as an x25 or x20 - but they are too narrow to sit on bone if I use them without glasses. With glasses, they are just as easy as to place and use as any x32. I always wear sunglasses and I find they very comfortable and easy to use. They have a nice view that works well in most situations.

The NL eye cups are great, and both of us have no problem setting them up to fit our very different faces; and they easily accommodate with glasses or without.

Comparing the grip - the NL was immediately easy and intuitive. The CL took a few minutes to sort out. The NL placement is index on focuser and three fingers wrap barrels. The CL is index on focuser, middle on bridge, last two wrap the barrels. Personal preference will dictate if you prefer one hold over the other.

The NL handles tougher lighting situations better - like looking into rising sun over water.

For most viewing, I enjoy the lighter weight and thinner barrels and lower price and have no reservations using them nor do i wish i was using the NL.

I enjoy the lighter weight and thinner barrels and lower price and have no reservations using them nor do i wish i was using the NL
Thanks for your thoughts, I've read a number of reviews that says how the NL/EL are a class above the CLs, but seems unfair to compare 30s to 32s. The small size is really what draws me to the CL, so easy to take it everywhere.

Yes Field Pro or FP is the new strap attachment system that replaces the classic metal loop that everyone is used to. I've seen them called lugs and FP for short.
In other words, Swarovski decided that a strap attachment method that could work loose and fall out was a much better idea than the standard (permanently fixed) metal strap lugs that have been around for decades. I hate the FP system, it really is the pits. They even have the FP system on the new $40+K smart binocs. Maybe the binocs are smart, not so sure about the design team. SW

Perfect, thank you! More of a difference than I expected too. Now I have to ask, what do you think about the CL image quality compared to the NL?

I agree the CL Companion is optically competent but I never personally got on with the ergonomics. Thumb indents ruined this aspect for me (as they nearly always do, irrespective of manufacturer / model). The NL is - for me - ergonomically in a different league. You may wish to consider this aspect before purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts, I've read a number of reviews that says how the NL/EL are a class above the CLs, but seems unfair to compare 30s to 32s. The small size is really what draws me to the CL, so easy to take it everywhere.
The CL 8x30 is the right size for me, as are my Zeiss 8x32 FLs. You might look into them too.

The CL B 8X30 is a good binocular but I've never really warmed up to it. I really like the previous model CL a little better with its smoother focus adjustment and smaller stature and it really doesn't suffer much optically if at all.

That NL 8X32 is really a pretty big binocular!
Glad I read your comment above and your mention of focus adjustment. I've just been trying out the current version of the CL Companion (I've never used the previous one), and was just about to create a new thread asking for opinions about the focus on the CL. The focus wheel operation isn't bad at all, but for a while I was wondering if mine had a slight problem. It is a lot smoother, of course, than many cheaper binoculars, but not as satisfyingly smooth and free as a NL 8x32 I have. It could be psychological, but on the CL I thought it might be very slightly stiffer in parts of its revolutions. I mean over a small distance of a turn - not stiffer at one extreme than the other. But when place it on a surface and just turn the wheel I can't notice any inconsistencies.

I think part of the issue might be the smaller wheel size, and the maybe also that the ridges on the wheel are quite smooth, so your finger can't 'grip' it as easily so you automatically put an extra small amount of downward pressure on the wheel to operate it, making it feel stiffer. Who know? Maybe I'm completely wrong.

If I'd only owned the CL I'm not sure I'd have noticed it. I think I'll hang onto the CL. Despite having these two binoculars, I'm quite inexperienced, therefore I wondered what the other options are for smallish binoculars. I'm not a fan of the very small pocket-sized bins. The CL seems a good compromise, size-wise.

Hi,

I have a quick question. I'm looking for a real-life photo of an NL Pure 8x32 next to a CL Companion 8x30. I'm just trying to understand the actual size differences between the 2. If anyone has access to both models and can post a side-by-side photo, I would appreciate it.

Here is an example of a side-by-side photo. Swarovski NL vs Zeiss SF: a personal comparison of two 8x32s.

Thanks
I had same doubts…Cl is very good, el is excellent, NL excellent plus
Cl replaced Nl for trekking in my case

Glad I read your comment above and your mention of focus adjustment. I've just been trying out the current version of the CL Companion (I've never used the previous one), and was just about to create a new thread asking for opinions about the focus on the CL. The focus wheel operation isn't bad at all, but for a while I was wondering if mine had a slight problem. It is a lot smoother, of course, than many cheaper binoculars, but not as satisfyingly smooth and free as a NL 8x32 I have. It could be psychological, but on the CL I thought it might be very slightly stiffer in parts of its revolutions. I mean over a small distance of a turn - not stiffer at one extreme than the other. But when place it on a surface and just turn the wheel I can't notice any inconsistencies.

I think part of the issue might be the smaller wheel size, and the maybe also that the ridges on the wheel are quite smooth, so your finger can't 'grip' it as easily so you automatically put an extra small amount of downward pressure on the wheel to operate it, making it feel stiffer. Who know? Maybe I'm completely wrong.

If I'd only owned the CL I'm not sure I'd have noticed it. I think I'll hang onto the CL. Despite having these two binoculars, I'm quite inexperienced, therefore I wondered what the other options are for smallish binoculars. I'm not a fan of the very small pocket-sized bins. The CL seems a good compromise, size-wise.
Agree 100%!

There IS something about that focus adjustment... I think sometimes the effort isn't consistent while focusing. And yes I do think part of the issue is the focus wheel itself. I've tried a couple of other CL Bs and the focus was exactly the same.

Mine is on the chopping block and very close to being put on the classified.

The focus wheel operation isn't bad at all, but for a while I was wondering if mine had a slight problem. It is a lot smoother, of course, than many cheaper binoculars, but not as satisfyingly smooth and free as a NL 8x32 I have. It could be psychological, but on the CL I thought it might be very slightly stiffer in parts of its revolutions. I mean over a small distance of a turn - not stiffer at one extreme than the other. But when place it on a surface and just turn the wheel I can't notice any inconsistencies.
Interesting, I described the CL focuser as "lumpy", I think you're describing the same thing. Personally I could not buy CL's or EL's because I didn't like the focusers. Seems better on NL's.

Will be interesting to see if Swaro makes their other focusers like the NL over time and if they ditch the thumb grooves like they did on the NL's. I wonder about the impact of the Zeiss SFL line. You can buy 8x40 SFL's for about the same price as the CL's and the focuser is better and optics similar with more aperture IMO.

Interesting, I described the CL focuser as "lumpy", I think you're describing the same thing. Personally I could not buy CL's or EL's because I didn't like the focusers. Seems better on NL's.

Will be interesting to see if Swaro makes their other focusers like the NL over time and if they ditch the thumb grooves like they did on the NL's. I wonder about the impact of the Zeiss SFL line. You can buy 8x40 SFL's for about the same price as the CL's and the focuser is better and optics similar with more aperture IMO.
I've been having second thoughts today about whether to keep the CLs. I really like them, especially the design and optical quality, but not the focus wheel. 'Lumpy' describes it well (though for those who've never tried a CL that may make it sound really awful, which it isn't).

I compared the wheel rotation on the CL to that on a very low cost binocular which I've had for a year or two, but not used much (Nikon Travelite 8x25), and the Nikon wheel, despite being as firm as the CL's, was better. Smooth through the entire rotation.

I could certainly get by with the CLs, as they're not my main binocular. I would probably even enjoy them. Spotted a Sparrowhawk on the garden wall yesterday while testing them, which was a bonus. But I'm also going to try a Nikon Monarch HG 8x30, and compare. I may also consider an Ultravid. A relation has it, and I'm going to briefly borrow it to see if I can cope with the fairly short eye relief.

I have the NL 8x32, EL 8x32, and CL 8x30b.... To me, the rankings are as follows:

View: 1st is NL, 2nd is EL, 3rd if CLb
Ergonomics: EL and CL are tied for first, NL is last due to the odd angle of the 'waist'

the EL doesn't really have a place for me but I can't seem to let it go... compared to the NL I love the feel in the hands and the lower weight, and the view is quite good, but I force myself to cope with the feel of the heavier NL for the still better view and much better focus wheel. I have been saying that I have to sell the EL since getting the NL, but I have failed to go through with it...

The CL is lovely, light and exceedingly comfortable to the hands and to the eyes with its only failings compared to the NL being the narrower and less bright view. It's been my wife's preferred glass, and no, she says she will not give up her CL to inherit my EL. So, YMMV.

I have the NL 8x32, EL 8x32, and CL 8x30b.... To me, the rankings are as follows:

View: 1st is NL, 2nd is EL, 3rd if CLb
Ergonomics: EL and CL are tied for first, NL is last due to the odd angle of the 'waist'

the EL doesn't really have a place for me but I can't seem to let it go... compared to the NL I love the feel in the hands and the lower weight, and the view is quite good, but I force myself to cope with the feel of the heavier NL for the still better view and much better focus wheel. I have been saying that I have to sell the EL since getting the NL, but I have failed to go through with it...

The CL is lovely, light and exceedingly comfortable to the hands and to the eyes with its only failings compared to the NL being the narrower and less bright view. It's been my wife's preferred glass, and no, she says she will not give up her CL to inherit my EL. So, YMMV.
I can understand why some, for example you, don't like the wasp waist, as I think Swarovski call it. But I love it. Personal taste, I suppose.

As for the CL, I'm still unsure whether to return mine. Excellent in all ways... except, don't you think the focus wheel is a bit odd, as some others have found it, as well as me? When using the binocular, it doesn't feel entirely smooth. At certain points I sense there's more resistance. Hard to explain. I've had two new CLs to try out, and each was the same.

Last edited:
The focus wheel on my (wife's) CL is consistent in resistance, perfectly smooth with no slack. I do like the focus on my NL a bit better, and on my EL way way less.

I think if I were starting from scratch, I would choose a CL 8x30 and a NL 10x32 with headrest for my serious birding bins, with the zeiss victory 8x20 or swarm 7x21 (i have and love both) for ultralight traveling.

The focus wheel on my (wife's) CL is consistent in resistance, perfectly smooth with no slack. I do like the focus on my NL a bit better, and on my EL way way less.

I think if I were starting from scratch, I would choose a CL 8x30 and a NL 10x32 with headrest for my serious birding bins, with the zeiss victory 8x20 or swarm 7x21 (i have and love both) for ultralight traveling.

My CL B focus function is similar, consistent equal resistance in both directions. Randomly comparing it to the 12x50 EL FP it is slightly stiffer but more in a "dampened" way than what feels like mechanical "friction" as in some other models -- my terminology may be technically incorrect, just trying to describe the feel.

Slightly off topic: Dr. K if / when you are inclined, as a pocket fan I am sometimes tempted by the older single hinge Zeiss Victory 8x20 for its apparently tiny size and I really like the handling of single hinge VP 8x and 10x25. How does the 8x20 compare to the Curio in terms of size, overall image quality and ease of handling? For context I do own and like the Curio as well. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back