• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby S (1 Viewer)

LOL, you really do dislike these thumb grooves?
I don't like them on my EL 12x50 either (the same with the EL 10x42), but on the SLC 8x42 they are exactly on the right position.
I suspect a lot of people would buy more Swaros if they returned to smooth, rounded barrels, as they did w/ the NL's and now these. And regular strap lugs. Will be interesting to see what happens w/ the EL line going forward.

Do we know for sure they are made in China? That would be a big departure.

I don't know whether post 94 constitutes evidence for that it's made in China or not. And I understand there is an ideological reason to dislike it if it is so. But I am looking forward to know if it meets my optical expectation. 7x28 is a very attractive configuration.

Do we know for sure they are made in China? That would be a big departure.
Yes, it is made Far East.
AFAIK and been told, this is the first time in Swaro's history that they outsource the manufacture of optics.
Personally I think the 'Old Man' woud turn himself in his grave, but new management new rules.

Having said all this, there is nothing wrong with this bin.
One can only wonder if this is the future for Swaro.......

Jan

So it's made in China.

I'm fairly certain Swarovski's QC is just as strict as it always is and the factory producing them would like to keep the contract. 'Made in Austria' would likely cost an extra grand in most people's currency - which would make an already expensive gift for the grandchildren downright ridiculous. And Swarovski, just like Zeiss or any other premier quality company will not put their hard earned reputation on the line by printing their name on some shoody crap. Although Zeiss seem to distance themselves from some of their foreign produced lines by putting 'Designed by Zeiss' on some of their products.

(Sadly this idiotic and completely unreflected 'MIC'-lamentation, which started across the pond, seems to be really catching on. It's not Swarovski's or Ford's or anyone's fault people want everything cheap. And the Chinese do not steal anyone's jobs - CEOs in pursuit of high margins and that much-vaunted destroyer of jiobs, the shareholder value, export the jobs. And do not for one hot minute be deluded, that any vehicle today, no matter where it is apparently made, is free from parts made in China. Now go, cry in your beer and set your truck on fire.)

So it's made in China.

I'm fairly certain Swarovski's QC is just as strict as it always is and the factory producing them would like to keep the contract. 'Made in Austria' would likely cost an extra grand in most people's currency - which would make an already expensive gift for the grandchildren downright ridiculous. And Swarovski, just like Zeiss or any other premier quality company will not put their hard earned reputation on the line by printing their name on some shoody crap. Although Zeiss seem to distance themselves from some of their foreign produced lines by putting 'Designed by Zeiss' on some of their products.

(Sadly this idiotic and completely unreflected 'MIC'-lamentation, which started across the pond, seems to be really catching on. It's not Swarovski's or Ford's or anyone's fault people want everything cheap. And the Chinese do not steal anyone's jobs - CEOs in pursuit of high margins and that much-vaunted destroyer of jiobs, the shareholder value, export the jobs. And do not for one hot minute be deluded, that any vehicle today, no matter where it is apparently made, is free from parts made in China. Now go, cry in your beer and set your truck on fire.)
First of all, it is not based on made in China lamentation or has anything to do with it.
The Chinese industry can make everthing we want IF we pay for it. No discussion about that. We agree, but.....
For the 25 years we do now do business with the Swarovski family, we were always told that every optics piece is PROUDLY made and produced in Absam. Period. Not like that Firm called Zeiss, and see where we are now.

That is my point.

Having said all this, the bin is OK.

Jan

In fact, it seems to me, there is no serious proof that these binoculars are made in China !! .... just personal assertions, not a photo, not an official document, nothing for the moment !

I have no special interest in these binoculars, but am just following this discussion... and apart from these posts from Jan, without any proof, source, photo, nothing indicates for the moment that they were manufactured in China .
How can he affirm this ?.... it remains a mystery for the moment still post 95 !!
Quite strange to assert such information without providing any proof or providing any source !!!

Last edited:
I have no special interest in these binoculars, but am just following this discussion... and apart from these posts from Jan, without any proof, source, photo, nothing indicates for the moment that they were manufactured in China .
How can he affirm this ?.... it remains a mystery for the moment still post 95 !!
Quite strange to assert such information without providing any proof or providing any source !!!
Well i trust Jan, if he states that these are made in China i believe him. But i think if you do a search on google or ask Swarovski we will get an answer. Maybe MIC is not on the binocular but nevertheless the can be MIC.

Well i trust Jan...
But me too !
But this mystery is quite annoying, even becoming ridiculous.
The question is asked so many times, concerning the origin of these binoculars.... but without ever having clear and frank answers.
I guess these instruments are marked 'Made in China', and it would be so easy to post a screenshot.

Maybe I'm missing something here !

Last edited:
But me too !
But this mystery is quite annoying, even becoming ridiculous.
The question is asked so many times, concerning the origin of these binoculars.... but without ever having clear and frank answers.
I guess these instruments are marked 'Made in China', and it would be so easy to post a screenshot.

Maybe I'm missing something here !
Time will tell tehri, the final answer will come don’t be stressed ;). Like you i think its hard to believe that Swarovski makes binoculars in China but i think this the direction the world is drifting to.

Guys, Swarovski doesn't make binoculars in China.
A OEM does it for them, like they do for Bushnell, Vortex etc etc etc. Put a sticker on it and it is brand A, B and/or C.
Country of Origin is not classified information, just legally required by EU-Law.
In May the first batch will be on the market and the documents that goes with them will show the Country of Origin as a written proof.
I have no intention of getting dragged into a rabbit hole discussion to prove what I am saying.
I just originally answered post 95 and will leave it to that.

Jan

Guys, Swarovski doesn't make binoculars in China.
A OEM does it for them, like they do for Bushnell, Vortex etc etc etc. Put a sticker on it and it is brand A, B and/or C.
Country of Origin is not classified information, just legally required by EU-Law.
In May the first batch will be on the market and the documents that goes with them will show the Country of Origin as a written proof.
I have no intention of getting dragged into a rabbit hole discussion to prove what I am saying.
I just originally answered post 95 and will leave it to that.

Jan
Amen (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back