• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beddington Farm Surrey Yearlist 2006 (1 Viewer)

My Beddington Farm 2006 list currently stands on 100 species. I have visited the site over the last two years with limited viewing access, initially only logging sightings required for a year list.

I now have access to the site and have adopted the site as my first patch, starting a full yearlist and photo gallery. I have been taken under the wing of two very experienced birders at the site which has greatly improved my birding knowledge.

This is not a full site yearlist (Approx 120 species) just the species I have seen.

Species List:-

001 Black Headed Gull
002 Carrion Crow
003 Chaffinch
004 Common Coot
005 Common Gull
006 Common Moorhen
007 Common Shelduck
008 Common Snipe
009 Common Wood Pigeon
010 Eurasian Blackbird
011 Eurasian Jackdaw
012 Eurasian Kestrel
013 Eurasian Magpie
014 Eurasian Teal
015 Eurasian Tree Sparrow
016 Eurasian Wigeon
017 Eurasian Wren
018 European Greenfinch
019 European Herring Gull
020 Feral Pigeon
021 Gadwall
022 Great Black Backed Gull
023 Great Cormorant
024 Great Tit
025 Grey Heron
026 Mallard
027 Northern Lapwing
028 Northern Pintail
029 Northern Shoveler
030 Tufted Duck
031 Common Starling
032 Eurasian Collared Dove
033 Pied Wagtail
034 Blue Tit
035 Common Pochard
036 Little Grebe
037 Canada Goose
038 Common Chiffchaff
039 Common Scoter
040 Dunnock
041 Eurasian Buzzard
042 Eurasian Skylark
043 European Robin
044 Green Sandpiper
045 Lesser Black Backed Gull
046 Little Egret
047 Long Tailed Tit
048 Meadow Pipit
049 Mute Swan
050 Northern Wheatear
051 Reed Bunting
052 Ruddy Duck
053 Sand Martin
054 Water Pipit
055 Willow Warbler
056 Common Kingfisher
057 Common Redshank
058 Eurasian Jay
059 Eurasian Linnet
060 European Goldfinch
061 European Stonechat
062 Red Kite
063 Rook
064 Stock Dove
065 House Martin
066 Song Thrush
067 Blackcap
068 Eurasian Sparrowhawk
069 Common Redstart
070 Grey Wagtail
071 Common Sandpiper
072 Common Whitethroat
073 Eurasian Siskin
074 Green Woodpecker
075 Greylag Goose
076 Little Ringed Plover
077 Rose Ringed Parakeet
--- (White Wagtail)
078 Common Swift
079 Lesser Whitethroat
080 Sedge Warbler
081 Eurasian Reed Warbler
082 House Sparrow
083 Yellow Wagtail
--- (Blue Headed Wagtail)
084 Eurasian Hobby
085 Dulin
086 Eurasian Swallow
087 Great Crested Grebe
088 Peregrine Falcon
089 Eurasian Curlew
090 Eurasian Spoonbill
091 Ringed Plover
092 Yellow Legged Gull
093 Egyptian Goose
094 Common Pheasant
095 Sanderling
096 Common Tern
097 Common Greenshank
098 Common Cuckoo
099 Black Tailed Godwit
100 Great Spotted Woodpecker

My Beddington life list stands at 104 species the additions are as follows:-

Common Goldeneye
Mediterranean Gull
Arctic Tern
Redwing

Attachments

• BF Black Tailed Godwit 1.JPG
    BF Black Tailed Godwit 1.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 215
  • BF Sanderling 1.JPG
    BF Sanderling 1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 229
  • BF Greenshank 1.JPG
    BF Greenshank 1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 233
  • BF Little Egret 1.JPG
    BF Little Egret 1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 210
  • BF Little Ringed Plover 1.JPG
    BF Little Ringed Plover 1.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Yes indeed - excellent site. Your list will grow nicely. Have visited occasionally in times past, at least until access became, erm.....how can I put this diplomatically?.......exclusive. Absolute pig of a place to twitch from W London! If Gary Messenbird is still around, say hello from me. Cheers.

Scene of my grimmest ever London dip - Killdeer. Flyover Whitefronts were no compensation. None at all.

Last edited:
Gavin Haig said:
Yes indeed - excellent site. Your list will grow nicely. Have visited occasionally in times past, at least until access became, erm.....how can I put this diplomatically?.......exclusive. Absolute pig of a place to twitch from W London! If Gary Messenbird is still around, say hello from me. Cheers.

Scene of my grimmest ever London dip - Killdeer. Flyover Whitefronts were no compensation. None at all.

yep, Gary is still around and funny as ever, last met him at the yank robin recounting the Killdeer ... was heartbreaking *sob*, will pass on your hello Gav.

Gavin Haig said:

Gavin

Gary is still a regular at the site. He is one of the two experienced birders I mentioned! I have learn't alot from him. I will pass on your regards. He has mentioned the Killdeer sighting once or twice to me.

I added my 100th year tick today Great Spotted Woodpecker (They all count!) , but dipped a juv Med Gull. Thats the price you pay for walking the site when Gary is on the mound!

Regards

Kevin

adw73uk said:
Killdeer? Would someone like to explain?????????????? Please.........?
In Feb 1984, I think (bit hazy on precise details - trying to forget, in fact) Gary Messenbird found a Killdeer at Beddington sewage farm, quite late in the day. I would have been there first thing next morning, but was working a night shift, so decided the wisest thing was to go to bed and get someone to ring me if it was actually still there. It had been flighty so I wasn't expecting a call. It was still there! I got the call, and spent about an hour and a half, or more, fighting through horrendous traffic to get there from where I lived at Northolt. It disappeared a few minutes before I arrived. As Beddington SF is so enormous, it was possible that it may well have come down again. So I had no option but to search......and search.....and search. I was very tired. I was very grumpy. Everyone else had seen it. I was thrilled for them.

So - there you go. London's one and only Killdeer..........bless it.

Gavin Haig said:
In Feb 1984, I think (bit hazy on precise details - trying to forget, in fact) Gary Messenbird found a Killdeer at Beddington sewage farm, quite late in the day. I would have been there first thing next morning, but was working a night shift, so decided the wisest thing was to go to bed and get someone to ring me if it was actually still there. It had been flighty so I wasn't expecting a call. It was still there! I got the call, and spent about an hour and a half, or more, fighting through horrendous traffic to get there from where I lived at Northolt. It disappeared a few minutes before I arrived. As Beddington SF is so enormous, it was possible that it may well have come down again. So I had no option but to search......and search.....and search. I was very tired. I was very grumpy. Everyone else had seen it. I was thrilled for them.

So - there you go. London's one and only Killdeer..........bless it.

Thanks Gavin.

Gavin Haig said:
I'll bet he has!! 3:)

Congrats on getting the hundred up.

Gavin

Gary passes on his regards.

New Beddington tick today bringing my total to 101. 3 seen at 100 Acre.

101 Little Owl

Attachments

• BF Little Owl 1.JPG
    BF Little Owl 1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 227
  • BF Common Sandpiper 3.JPG
    BF Common Sandpiper 3.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
New Life and Beddington tick 12/08 found by Gary

102 Spotted Crake

Beddington Life list now 106.

Attachments

• BF Spotted Crake 1.JPG
    BF Spotted Crake 1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
dan pointon said:
Nice one, great pic too. Good to see some Spot Crakes beginning to appear....

Thanks Dan for your comments, unfortunately the bird has not been seen for a couple of days!

After four attempts and a phone call from Johnny Allan I finally caught up (After a truck dodging run down Mile Road!!) with my next Beddington tick:-

103 Wood Sandpiper

Attachments

• BF Wood Sandpiper 1.JPG
    BF Wood Sandpiper 1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 234
  • BF Wood Sandpiper 3.JPG
    BF Wood Sandpiper 3.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 211
Here are more of my Beddington Farm Photos.

Attachments

• BF Common Sandpiper 4.JPG
    BF Common Sandpiper 4.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 204
  • BF Wheatear 1.JPG
    BF Wheatear 1.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 227
  • BF Canada Goose 1.JPG
    BF Canada Goose 1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 227
  • BF Common Gull 1.JPG
    BF Common Gull 1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 208
  • BF Common Whitethroat 1.JPG
    BF Common Whitethroat 1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Thanks to a text message from Frank another tick for the site. This is the best pic taken in poor light.

104 Ruff

Beddington Life List 108

Attachments

• BF Ruff 1.JPG
    BF Ruff 1.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 195
kevinguest said:
Thanks to a text message from Frank another tick for the site. This is the best pic taken in poor light.

104 Ruff

Beddington Life List 108

Oh for a key. I only live 400 yards from Beddington Park as well!

paulwfromtheden said:
Oh for a key. I only live 400 yards from Beddington Park as well!

Paul

This bird was on the Mitigation scrape on 100 Acre. Viewable from the small bank off the public footpath. Take the left hand of the two small paths up the bank (where the fence is down) and if you stay v close to the bushes as you go up the bank the birds won't be flushed. Photo taken from the bank after some careful manoevering!

It took me nearly 2 years to get a key. It does have its advantages!!

Good Luck

Kevin

A male and female seen at the North end of the site(Near the golf course). Did not get any pictures of these birds.

105 Nuthatch

Beddington Life List 109

I realise this is not a bird but had to post this pic somewhere. A Wasp spider one of eight found by Gary.
A lifer for me, its not only for the sanctuary of birds Beddington should be a reserve!!

Attachments

• BF Wasp Spider 1.JPG
    BF Wasp Spider 1.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back