• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bird guides by region...Asia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

England
Andy, surely you haven't forgotten the thrupenny bits, tanners, and half-crowns already? Real money; not namby-pamby metrics ... the kids of today don't know they're born, etc, etc. When I were a lad .........

I was trying to keep it simple James ;)

And don't forget the Groat, worth 4 Pennies, the 5 shilling coin colloquially referred to as a Dollar due to its resemblance to the American coin, a two shilling coin was also know as a Florin etc, etc

Last edited:

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
The USA's continued use of imperial units is mind-numbingly frustrating and backwards, I agree completely.

Andy Adcock

England
Lynx have just announced that a new Field guide to Peninsular Malaysia, Malaysian Borneo and Singapore is due for publication in mid-July.
https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-malaysia/

Another Field Guide to Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore is due for publication in August.
https://www.nhbs.com/field-guide-to-the-birds-of-malaysia-singapore-book

Totally ignnoring the survey they did then and pumping out stuff that really isn't a priority when a shortage of field guides in other areas is so obvious. Looks like they're covering the most popular destinations first to get max revenue.

Including Malaysian Borneo makes little sense to me, Borneo is usually covered in it's own volume.

Individual country guides for e.g Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Brazil and a host of other South American countries would be nice

Last edited:

DMW

This is great news. The Philippines is one country that really does need a modern field guide. I have a feeling the taxonomy is going to make for interesting debate. No doubt more drongos ahoy!

Andy Adcock

England
This is great news. The Philippines is one country that really does need a modern field guide. I have a feeling the taxonomy is going to make for interesting debate. No doubt more drongos ahoy!

I'd be curious to know which?

Users who are viewing this thread