• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino question - $1000 price point worth it? (1 Viewer)

I did not receive a discount when I purchased my binocular although Maven now offers a demo program. As I understand it, under this program, you receive a demo with 2 weeks to try it. If you like the demo sent, you keep it and the cost is 10% off new ($900 for the 9 x 45), if you want a new one, you return the demo and pay full price. If you don't like the binocular, you return it at no cost. Sounds like a good deal to me. As to the focus, you are correct: the focus is changed immediately as the focus knob is moved.
Thanks. The DEMO program sounds like it would be a good way to try the Maven's without risk.

Quick update - got these bins a couple of days ago and took them out this morning.

The cons: There is a little bit of CA when looking at very high contrast scenes, but nothing that really bothers me too much (I had to look for to notice it). The eye placement and getting the right IPD was a little finicky to begin with, compared to my 8x32 FL T*s but i got the hang of it soon enough.

The pros: a superb view - bright (as expected of Zeiss) and works very well in tricky lighting (low light, contrast, etc.). In use, i do not perceive any drop-off compared to the more expensive FL T*, when it comes to optics quality (I am sure there is, but it isnt enough to jump out at me and I couldnt be ar$ed staring at resolution charts).

Highlight of the day for me - a rubycheek. Skulking around pretty much directly above my head with a bright grey sky above it. Got the binos on it, and was able to see the markings well enough to make the ID.

Am very pleased with it. The only issue is I like using these 10x42s so much, a part of me wishes i had gone for the top of the iine Alphas :)

Thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back