• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular strap for 8 x 32 bins (1 Viewer)

I use nylon webbing camera straps with a lot of mine and to be honest they seem to work just fine. They may not be the very last word in comfort but I hardly notice it when wearing a coat, and they're pretty durable. 1.5 inch width seems to go well with x40s and x42s, I use 0.5 inch for my light 8x30 porros and I guess a one inch wide strap would suit the larger modern 8x32s.

When you said Namibia the first thing I thought of was lots of wind and sand, in combination probably the worst situation you could use a binocular in. I had to wonder how your FL would have withstood the same treatment. If I had to bird in such an environment I'd be seriously tempted to purchase a military grade binocular. There's no doubt that some conditions are much much harder on equipment than others - and most birders seldom if ever have to contend with them, but some nutters dedicated folks do.

If manufacturers were to provide filter threads, it would be glorious.

It is a whole lot easier to throw away and replace a scratched UV filter, than a binocular objective.

The problem is that you also want the objective lenses to be somewhat recessed within the barrels, making it impractical (I'd imagine?) to screw in a filter. Canon's 10x42L apparently does have threads for filters, but it also has less protection for the objectives than practically any other binocular I've seen (maybe the use of filters is intended to achieve that?).

There are definitely some situations in which a filter could come in handy though - polarizing filters would be very useful at sea, for instance.

Because the objectives are recessed is the reason why there is room for threads to accept a filter.

I would leave UV filters in place, just to help protect the objective front surfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back