• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (1 Viewer)

Commemorated in a few serebrowskii, and sserebrowskii alt. sserebrowsky taxa [see the Key, here resp. here (even if somewhat inconsistent!?! My red bolds) ;)]:
serebrowskii
Pavel Vladimirovich Serebrovsky (1893-1942) Russian ornithologist, zoogeographer, died during the siege of Leningrad (syn. Emberiza cia par).

sserebrowskii / sserebrowsky
Pavel Vladimirovich Serebrovskiy (1888-1942) Russian ornithologist (subsp. Lagopus lagopus).

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (19): Peter Petrovič Suškin (1868–1928), Begründer der Leningrader Schule der Systematik, Zoogeografie und Paläontologie in der Ornithologie, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 (9/10): pp.1–6. (2015) = here.

Commemorated in quite a few sushkini Birds (see the Key, here):
Prof. Dr Petr Petrovich Sushkin (1868-1928) Russian zoologist, palaeontologist (syn. Alauda arvensis kiborti, syn. Emberiza aureola, subsp. Leucosticte arctoa, syn. Linaria flavirostris miniakensis, subsp. Numenius arquata, subsp. Prunella fulvescens (ex Prunella fulvescens tibetana Sushkin, 1925), syn. Rubicilla rubicilla kobdensis).

He's as well the Author (Auctor) of many, many Bird taxa (as Sushkin, alt. Suschkin), and as such listed by Zoonomen as:
Sushkin, Petr Petrovich 1868-1928

[Also as Suschkin]

In my notes (and MS), I have him (Петр Петрович Сушкин) as the same (anglicism); "Petr Petrovich Sushkin (1868–1928)", a k a ditto "Suschkin" (in German), commemorated in the Swedish Common/Vernacular name "Sushkins gås” (meaning Sushkin's Goose), for [the today invalid, or (rare) colour morph] ”Anser neglectus” alt. ”Anser fabalis neglectus”.

As far as I know we haven't dealt with him, in person, nor with any sushkini Birds, but we've been looking at quite a few Birds presented by him (and his colleagues), see here.

I guess the only question remaining would be regarding his given name/s (incl. the patronymic one): Peter/Petr/Pyotr/Pjotr Petro...

By the way, didn't he share his first Given name with 'Peter the Great', alt. Peter I, or Pyotr Alekséyevich (1672–1725)? :unsure:

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)​

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (20): Die Familie von Russow; Edmund (1841–1897), Valerian (1842–1879), Karl-Ernst (1862–1938) und Wolfgang von Russow (1905–1945), Baltische Ornithologen und Naturwissenschaftler, by Jevgenij Šergalin & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 67 (11/12): pp.333–338 (2015) = here

As far as I know neither one of those guys seems to be commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor are they listed as Authors (Auctors) of any dittos by Zoonomen. And none of them has earlier been dealt with here on BirdForum.

Disclaimer; neither one of those guys are included in my MS, nor found in my notes, thus I haven't checked them any further than the above.

---

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (21): Ferdinand Stoll (1874–1966), Taxidermist, Mykologe, Pionier der Vogelfotografie und Faunist der Vogelwelt des Baltikums, by Ruslans Matrozis & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 68 (3/4): pp.147–152 (2016) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor is he listed as an Author (Auctor) by Zoonomen.

However, note that his name also is/was written as "Ferdinanda Štolla (1874–1966)", alt. "Ferdinands Erdmans Štolls" (? Inflected form?), in Latvian, by one of the same Authors (i.e. Ruslans Matrozis), in 2020 (here), abstracts below:
Matrozis R.2020. Ieskats Ferdinanda Štolla (1874–1966) darbībā putnu taksidermijā un ooloģijā

Rakstā apkopota informācija par baltvācu izcelsmes ornitologa Ferdinanda Štolla (Ferdinand Stoll, 1874–1966) profesionālo darbību putnu taksidermijā un ooloģiskās kolekcijas veidošanā periodā no 1897. līdz 1931. gadam, strādājot gan savā privātajā Dermoplastikas laboratorijā, gan vāciskās Rīgas Dabaspētnieku biedrības muzejā par konservatoru (fondu glabātāju). Lielākā daļa no zināmajiem F. Štolla izgatavotajiem putnu izbāžņiem un olu kolekcija mūsdienās glabājas Latvijas Dabas muzejā. Īpaši vērtīga ir apjomīga putnu olu kolekcija, kurā ir pārstāvētas arī sugas, kuras mūsdienās Latvijā vairs neligzdo (lielais piekūns, Šinca šņibītis, vidējais ērglis). Muzeja kolekcija var lepoties ar vairākiem F. Štolla izgatavotiem vai viņa darbības laikā kolekciju papildinošiem putnu izbāžņiem ar vēsturisku vērtību, tai skaitā ar pirmajiem vairāku sugu sastapšanas gadījumiem Latvijā (mazā zoss, baltacis, dūņšņibītis un resnknābja kaira).

Matrozis R. 2020. Insight into the activities of Ferdinand Stoll (1874-1966) in avian taxidermy and oology

The article summarizes information about the professional activity of the Baltic-German ornithologist Ferdinand Stoll (1874-1966) in bird taxidermy and the formation of an oological collection, from 1897 to 1931, at which time he worked both at his private Dermoplasty Laboratory and in the Riga Naturalist Society Museum as a conservator (curator of the collection). The greater part of the bird taxidermy made by F. Stoll and his collection of bird eggs are now stored in the Latvian Museum of Natural History. The large collection of bird eggs, which contains species that no longer nest in Latvia today (Peregrine Falcon, Dunlin, and Greater Spotted Eagle) is especially valuable. The museum is especially honoured to have several specimens of bird taxidermy with historical value made by F. Stoll, including the first observations of several species in Latvia (Lesser white- fronted goose, Ferruginous duck, Broad-billed sandpiper, and Brünnich’s guillemot).

Either way, he's not to confuse with the (far, far earlier) Dutch naturalist Caspar Stoll who described, for example, the Moth "Phalaena zelica" STOLL 1790 (as dealt with/mentioned earlier here [in (the PS. of) post #147 + in #155–157].

Disclaimer; The former Mr Stoll (alt. Štolla) is not included in my MS, nor is he found in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)

⏳​

Last edited:
Commemorated in quite a few sushkini Birds (see the Key, here):
Prof. Dr Petr Petrovich Sushkin (1868-1928) Russian zoologist, palaeontologist (syn. Alauda arvensis kiborti, syn. Emberiza aureola, subsp. Leucosticte arctoa, syn. Linaria flavirostris miniakensis, subsp. Numenius arquata, subsp. Prunella fulvescens (ex Prunella fulvescens tibetana Sushkin, 1925), syn. Rubicilla rubicilla kobdensis).
Further commemorated, using a German-like transliteration of his name, in quite a few suschkini / suschkiniana birds, of which the Key, here, lists:
suschkini / suschkiniana
Prof. Dr Petr Petrovich Sushkin (1868-1928) Russian zoologist, palaeontologist (syn. Alcedo atthis, syn. Emberiza pallasi (ex Cynchramus pallasii montana Sushkin, 1925), syn. Gavia arctica, subsp. Locustella davidi, subsp. Numenius arquata, subsp. Perdix dauurica, syn. Perisoreus infaustus sibericus, syn. Poecile montanus songarus, syn. Trachyphonus vaillantii suahelicus).
Additionally, these are not mentioned in the Key:

sushkini :
suschkini :

I guess the only question remaining would be regarding his given name/s (incl. the patronymic one): Peter/Petr/Pyotr/Pjotr Petro...

His given name is most frequently spelled Петр, although it is sometimes given as Пётр as well (e.g., Russian Wikipiedia). A strict transliteration would be Petr for the former and Pëtr/Pyotr/Pjotr for the latter. But the distinction between е (ye) and ë (yo) in the Cyrillic alphabet is 'relatively' recent (ë was created by a Russian writer in 1797), and has always remained more or less optional in Russian - ë is mostly used in formal/academical contexts (i.a., dictionaries or encyclopedias), but often replaced by е otherwise. The pronunciation of the name is the same whatever the spelling - something like Pyot'r.

For the record, I have seen him cited as Pierre Souchkine as well (mostly in French texts, but not only - e.g., death notice in BBOC: v.49=no.326-334 (1928-1929) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library ).

The name of Peter the Great (1672-1725) is regularly written Пётр in Russian, but the letter ё did not actually exist during his lifetime. (And, as he promoted the use of French at his court, he probably himself 'spelled' it Pierre, anyway. ;))

Last edited:
You also have the Falconidae Sushkinia pliocaenica Tugarinov, 1935, renamed by Nikita Zelenkov in 2015 Petrosushkinia pliocaenica (Tugarinov, 1935) because the name was preoccupied by Sushkinia Martinov, 1930. (Insecta: Permolestidae). It is from the Late Miocene of Kazachstan and the Miocene-Late Pliocene of Mongolia. I suppose it is the same professor Sushkin.

Fred

You also have the Falconidae Sushkinia pliocaenica Tugarinov, 1935, renamed by Nikita Zelenkov in 2015 Petrosushkinia pliocaenica (Tugarinov, 1935) because the name was preoccupied by Sushkinia Martinov, 1930. (Insecta: Permolestidae). It is from the Late Miocene of Kazachstan and the Miocene-Late Pliocene of Mongolia. I suppose it is the same professor Sushkin.
Yes, it's the same P. P. Sushkin in all cases, recently dead and author of the description of Permian reptiles (e.g. v.5 (1921-1931) - Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History - Biodiversity Heritage Library ) in 1930, покойн[ий]/verstorben and author of a monograph on the osteology of Falconidae (t.16 (1898-1905) - Nouveaux mémoires de la Société impériale des naturalistes de Moscou - Biodiversity Heritage Library ) in 1935.

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (22): Harald Baron von Loudon (1876–1959), Sammler und Taxonom, Pionier der Beringung und Erforscher der Vogelwelt des Baltikums, des Kaukasus und Mittelasiens, by Ruslans Matrozis & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 68 (7/8): pp.259-266 (2016) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in a fair amount of loudoni Birds (see the Key, here):
loudoni
Harald Georg Gideon Freiherr von Loudon (1876-1959) Baltic German naturalist, explorer in the Caucasus and Turkistan 1895-1914 (subsp. Carduelis carduelis, syn. Hirundo rustica, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, Remiz pendulinus x Remiz macronyx hybrid, syn. Sturnus vulgaris porphyronotus, syn. Turdus viscivorus, syn. Upupa epops).

He's as well the Author (Auctor), of quite a few Bird taxa (as Loudon, alt. von Loudon), also as co-author (together with "Zarudny") of even more Birds, thus listed by Zoonomen as:
(Zarudny)
& Loudon
Loudon, Harald von Freiherr 1876-1959

None of the loudoni Birds has been dealt with earlier here on the Bird Name Etymology sub-forum, but some of the taxa he described, together with "Zarudny", has been studied (see for example/s, here).

In my (Swedish) MS he's only mentioned briefly, as (nothing but) the German-Baltic ornithologist "Harald von Loudon", when he (together with "Zarudnyj") coined the Generic name Pseudopodoces 1902 (for "Podoces humilis"). Above that I haven't checked him any further than above* (at least not in any depth).

*The German Title Freiherr (friherre, in Swedish), is the closest Noble rank to 'Baron'.

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (23): Vladimir Vladimirovič Stančinskij (1882–1942), Ökologe, Naturschützer, Zoogeograf und Taxonom, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 68 (9/10): pp.311–316 (2016) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, neither is he present among Authors listed by Zoonomen (at least not that I can find). And I don't think he's been dealt with earlier (in any way) here on BirdForum.

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (24): Nikolaus Heinrich von Transehe (1886–1969), Gründer der Lettischen Ornithologischen Zentrale und Verfasser der ersten lettischen Avifaunen, by Ruslans Matrozis & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 68 (11/12): pp.363–369 (2016) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor listed by/in Zoonomen, and I don't think he's been dealt with earlier (in any way what-so-ever) here on BirdForum.

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

Commemorated in a fair amount of loudoni Birds (see the Key, here):
loudoni
Harald Georg Gideon Freiherr von Loudon (1876-1959) Baltic German naturalist, explorer in the Caucasus and Turkistan 1895-1914 (subsp. Carduelis carduelis, syn. Hirundo rustica, Lanius collurio x Lanius isabellinus hybrid, Remiz pendulinus x Remiz macronyx hybrid, syn. Sturnus vulgaris porphyronotus, syn. Turdus viscivorus, syn. Upupa epops).

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (23): Vladimir Vladimirovič Stančinskij (1882–1942), Ökologe, Naturschützer, Zoogeograf und Taxonom, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 68 (9/10): pp.311–316 (2016) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, neither is he present among Authors listed by Zoonomen (at least not that I can find).

I can't find him listed as an author on Zoonomen either, but he did describe and name birds (one of which commemorated PP Sushkin and already listed in my post #47 above). On a quick search (may well be incomplete) :
setshuanica is not in the Key - but "setschuanus / setschuanica" is. (And may actually be intended for the present name ? I don't readily find any other bird named setschuanica.)

1650620593822.png

("Setshuan" / "setshuanischen" appear in total 7 times, on the 3rd to 7th pages of the paper; but "Setschuan" / "setschuanischen" are also used, three times in total, all in the introductory text on the 2nd page. I guess this might be seen as correctable, although this is probably a type of thing that is doomed to be a bit controversial. Anyway, the name is not in use.)

Last edited:
Neither I can find it accessible in full, only snippet views (of/from page "11") of; E. e. diamesa , E. e. pallidorosa and E. E. setshuanica (here, alt. here and/or here) + yet again the Author (Auctor) as "Stantschinsky" (here).

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (25): Otmar Reiser (1861–1936), Pionier und Nestor der ornithologischen Erforschung des Balkans, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 69 (1/2): 43–48 (2017) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in quite a few reiseri Birds (see the Key, here):
reiseri
Dr C. H. Othmar Reiser (1861-1936) Austrian ornithologist, Curator of Natural History Mus., Sarajevo 1887-1920, collector in Brazil 1903 (syn. Alectoris graeca, syn. Cettia cetti sericea, subsp. Cranioleuca vulpina, subsp. Emberiza schoeniclus, subsp. Iduna pallida, syn. Oenanthe hispanica, Phyllomyias, syn. Prunella collaris subalpina, subsp. Sittasomus griseicapillus, syn. Turdus viscivorus deichleri).

Also the Author (Auctor) of quite a few Bird taxa (as Reiser), thereby found in Zoonomen as:
Reiser, Othmar - 1861-1936
Landesmuseum Sarajevo

Earlier also dealt with in thread A short German list of some well- or little-known Naturalists [here, post #1–10 (+ 16–17)].

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (26): Vasilij Nikolajevič Skalon (1903–1976), Sibirjak, Zoologe, Jäger, Naturschützer und Geograf Nordwest- und Süd-Sibiriens, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 69 (3/4): pp. 97–101 (2017) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor is he listed by Zoonomen, and I don't think he's been dealt with earlier (in any way) here on BirdForum.

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (27): Andrzej Dunajewski (1908–1944), Polnischer Taxonom, Zoogeograf und Avifaunist, by Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 69 (5/6): pp. 159–162 (2017) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in two (invalid) dunajewskii Birds (see the Key, here):
dunajewskii
Dr Andrzej Stanisław Julian Dunajewski (1908-1944) Polish zoologist, ornithologist (syn. Passer montanus, syn. Sylvia borin) (Laurent Raty in litt.).

He's also the Author (Auctor) of many Bird taxa (as Dunajewski, alt. A. Dunajewski), during the 1930's and -40's (up until "1948"), however Zoonomen has him as (nothing but):
Dunajewski, Andrzej

I don't think we've been dealing with any dunajewskii Birds (only briefly, here), nor with this guy (in person), though we've been dealing with several of the birds he described himself (see, for example/s; here, here, here, and elsewhere).

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above, though I don't think he's to be confused with the earlier "Stanisław Antoni Dunajewski h. Sas" (1859–1912), mentioned (by Paul) in the sophiae thread above. ;)

---

⏳​

Last edited:
Commemorated in quite a few reiseri Birds (see the Key, here):
reiseri
Dr C. H. Othmar Reiser (1861-1936) Austrian ornithologist, Curator of Natural History Mus., Sarajevo 1887-1920, collector in Brazil 1903 (syn. Alectoris graeca, syn. Cettia cetti sericea, subsp. Cranioleuca vulpina, subsp. Emberiza schoeniclus, subsp. Iduna pallida, syn. Oenanthe hispanica, Phyllomyias, syn. Prunella collaris subalpina, subsp. Sittasomus griseicapillus, syn. Turdus viscivorus deichleri).

Commemorated in two (invalid) dunajewskii Birds (see the Key, here):
dunajewskii
Dr Andrzej Stanisław Julian Dunajewski (1908-1944) Polish zoologist, ornithologist (syn. Passer montanus, syn. Sylvia borin) (Laurent Raty in litt.).
  • Passer montanus dunajewskii Oleksas 2009 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2009. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica. Rangsdorf.]
  • Sylvia borin dunajewskii Oleksas 2009 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2009. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica. Rangsdorf.]

• Passer montanus dunajewskii Oleksas 2009 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2009. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica. Rangsdorf.]
  • Sylvia borin dunajewskii Oleksas 2009 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2009. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica. Rangsdorf.]
This paper is described as: Annotated list of 30 subspecies of 20 bird species described from Belarus and nearby countries in 2009 –2011 by the German ornithologist О. А. Oleksas is presented. The author consistently uses the zoogeographic species concept, which allows nomenclature designation of separate vicariant populations possessing at least minimal differences in morphological characters. Brief critical notes are given on some subspecies (Norhern Wryneck Jynx torquilla, Eurasian Jay Garrulus glandarius, Eurasian Nuthatch Sitta europaea, Common Reed Bunting Emberiza schoeniclus). Although studies of available collection material confirmed in a few cases the presence of some variability in size and coloration (e. g. Red-backed Shrike Lanius collurio, Song Thrush Turdus philomelos, Garden Warbler Sylvia borin, Common Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs), it looks like at least a part of the Olexas’ new names will be eventually synonimized with already existing ones. It was noted that type series of these new subspecies remain not designated in the corresponding depositories.
In: https://elib.bsu.by/bitstream/123456789/158896/1/13-18.pdf . And as Bjorn has stated elsewhere O. A. Oleksas is Uwe Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back