• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (1 Viewer)

• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (28): András Keve (1909–1984), Bahnbrecher der modernen Feldornithologie und Faunistik in Ungarn sowie bedutendster Taxonom Mittelosteuropas, by Gábor Magyar & Uwe Alex. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 69 (11–12): pp.399–406 (2017) = here

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon. Though, he himself (together with miss Nicolette Sámuel) wrote a Paper in/on our particular Topic; Hungarian Ornithologists and Bird-Collectors Abroad and Overseas, published in Opuscula Zoologica (Budapest), 9 (2): pp.339-356 (1969), here (that might be of interest, for anyone curious on Eastern Europeans dittos).

He's also the Author (Auctor) of some Bird Taxa (as either Keve, Keve-Kleiner and/or just Kleiner), which makes "his" entry in Zoonomen a bit longer than usual:
Keve-Kleiner 1909-1984

Keve-Kleiner,András

b. 10 Nov. 1909 Budapest.
d. 30 Mar. 1984

Jiri Mlikovsy provides additional useful details (in litt. 2008.05.08)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few comments on Keve/Kleiner. The man was a significant Hungarian ornithologist(living in 1909-1984). I do not know how exactly he was baptized, but he started to publish as "Kleiner", continuing as "Keve-Kleiner" and later as "Keve".

I was told by Ernst Bauernfeind (from the Wien Museum) that he changed his name for security reasons. "Kleiner" means "small, little" in German and it was dangerous to have a German name in the post-war Hungary. "Keve" means nothing in Hungarian, but "kevesebb" means "less, short", "kevesen" means "few in number", etc.

So I think "Keve" is an allusion of "Kleiner", though not an exact translation.

A bibliography of Hungarian ornithology (Budapest 1980) shows that Keve/Kleiner published under the following names:

Kleiner, Endre - in 1930-1942 (102 papers in all)

Keve-Kleiner, András - in 1943-1944 (17 papers are dated 1943, two papers are dated 1944)

Keve, András - in 1946-1979 (and perhaps later, but that period was not covered by the Bibliography).

The first name "Endre" is Hungarian, being equivalent to "András" (Hungarian), "Andreas" (in German) or "Andrew" (English). The reasons why Keve/Kleiner changed also his first name from one to another Hungarian version are unknown to me, but there was probably some period connotation of "Endre".

Keve/Kleiner used to translate his first name according to the language in which he wrote a paper, but only "Endre" and "András" were official.

An obituary of Keve/Kleiner was published here:

Jánossy, D. (1985) Dr. Keve András (1909-1984). - Aquila 92: 13-17.
(I do not have this volume at hand, so I could not consult the paper.
BTW: Its is written in Hungarian)

Note please that surname is written first in Hungarian, so "Keve András"
is used in Hungarian, while "András Keve" is used in most other languages

This guy, and the Birds he described, has been dealt with earlier (in brief), now and then, in various BirdForum threads, see here.

Disclaimer; He isn't included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)​

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (29): Eduard Mikola Peter Charlemagne (Nikolai Scharleman) (1887–1970), führender ukrainischer Ornithologe und Faunist in der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70 (Nr 1/2): pp.49–52 (2018) = here

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, though he's the Author (Auctor) of a few Bird taxa (as Charlemagne), though I can't find him listed in/by Zoonomen. Some of those Birds were earlier dealt with, for example/s; here alt. here.

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

However; he's certainly not to confuse with the French Navy officer Charlemagne Théophile Lefebvre (1811–1860). :rolleyes:

---

To be continued ... (with the next publication in this series)

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (30): Anatolij Vladimirovič Fedjušin (1891–1972), Avifaunist und Taxonom der Vogelwelt Weißrusslands, by Uwe Alex, Vasilij V. Gričik & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70 (3/4): pp.115-118 (2018) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in two (invalid) fedjuschini alt. fedjushini Birds (see the Key, here):
fedjuschini / fedjushini
Prof. Anatoliy Vladimirovich Fedyushin (1891-1972) Belarusian zoologist (syn. Dendrocopos medius, syn. Lyrurus tetrix).

Author (Auctor) of some Bird taxa (as Fediuschin), but neither he seems listed in Zoonomen's Author Index.

Last year (in August 2021) we had a look at him in thread Lyrurus tetrix fedjuschini Charlemagne, 1934 (here).

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

⏳​

Commemorated in two (invalid) fedjuschini alt. fedjushini Birds (see the Key, here):
fedjuschini / fedjushini
Prof. Anatoliy Vladimirovich Fedyushin (1891-1972) Belarusian zoologist (syn. Dendrocopos medius, syn. Lyrurus tetrix).
  • Dendrocopos medius fedjushini Oleksas 2011 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2011. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica-Balcanica. Berlin.]
  • Lyrurus tetrix fedjuschini Sharleman' [also as Charlemagne] 1934 - [not seen - Шарлемань М. 1934. Орнітологічні нотатки. Журнал біо-зоологічного циклу (Київ), 4 (8): 21-29.; p. 24]

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (31): Aleksandr Ivanovič Ivanov (1902–1987), Bibliograf der russischen ornithologischen Literatur 1881-1970, Avifaunist und Autor des ersten russischen Feldführers, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70 (5/6): pp.165–168 (2018) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, though he's the Author (Auctor) of one single Bird taxon; "Alauda arvensis pusilla Ivanov, 1929", however he's not listed among the Authors in/by Zoonomen, and I don't think we've been dealing with his person earlier, not in this (sub-)Forum. Only with some of his texts.

Either way, I'm pretty sure he´s not to be confused with the Russian General Nikolai Alexandrovich Ivanov (1851–1918), commemorated in the (Crested) Lark ssp. Galerida cristata iwanowi Loudon & Sarudny, 1903. ;)

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thereby I haven't checked him any further than the above

---

Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (32): Elizabeta Vladimirovna Kozlova (1892–1975), Avifaunistin und Zoogeografin Transbaikaliens, der Mongolei, Tibets, der Wüsten, Steppen und Gebirge Mittel- und Zentralasiens, by Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70 (7/8): pp.221–226 (2018) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in one invalid koslovae Bird and two kozlovae/kozlowae taxa (see the Key, here and here) [my red bolds]:
koslovae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1972) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Pterocles orientalis arenarius).

kozlovae / kozlowae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1972) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Emberiza schoeniclus parvirostris, subsp. Lagopus lagopus).

She's equally the Author (Auctor) of a few Bird taxa (as Kozlova), though Zoonomen has her as (nothing but):
Kozlova, E.V.

Thus, her Death year seems to be in question ... !?! If not a typo in the former Paper/Title/Heading, of course ...

In my MS I have her as: Elizaveta Vladimirovna Kozlova (née/born Pushkariova, 1892–1975), mentioned in context of, alt. together with, her more well-known (and far older) husband Pjotr Kuzmitj Kozlov (1863–1935), whom she accompanied during his (very) last expedition (1923–1926). During this Expedition she herself collected more than 1700 Birds (of 306 different species, by/in the taxonomy of those days). In other texts she's a k a Elisabet alt. Elisabeth Pushkariova-Kozlova.
According to my notes she survived her husband with 40 years (and died 10th of February 1975).

As I remember it we haven't looked into her earlier. I think we've only been looking for (and finding) some of the OD's (commemorating her), like the "Schoeniclus schoeniclus kozlowae" (here). And, of course, she's also mentioned in post #47, in this thread ...

Both of the Kozlov couple have had their (personal) name transcribed/interpreted as either Koslov/a (which we prefer in Swedish), and/alt. Koslow/a, or even Kosloff(a), in German texts

---

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (33): Friedrich Tischler (1881–1945), Verfasser der Avifaunen des untergegangen Ostpreußen, by Christoph Hinkelmann. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70 (9/10): pp.273–278 (2018) [unseen by me]

Apparently commemorated in quite a few (invalid) tischleri Bird taxa (see the Key, here):
tischleri
Dr Friedrich Tischler (1881-1945) German magistrate in East Prussia, ornithologist (syn. Accipiter gentilis, syn. Coloeus monedula soemmerringii, syn. Emberiza calandra, syn. Poecile montanus borealis).

And, he doesn't seem to be found among the Authors (Auctors) listed in/by Zoonomen.

I don't think we've been dealing with him earlier, not more than searching (in vain) for the OD of "Emberiza calandra tischleri", by "Oleksas" (i.e. ALEX) 2011 (here). By the look of the Key, it looks like James did find the publication by himself!

Though, I can't help wondering why a Baltic guy would name a (Corn) Bunting ssp. (in 2011) after an old Prussian fellow (ornithologist), who died many years before the Author (Auctor) himself was born!? Interesting ...

Other than that I don't think we've been closer to Herr Tischler than in Kleinschmidt's 1938 Dedication here (even if we, at that time, didn't follow this particular guy).

Disclaimer; this guy is not included in my MS, nor in my notes, thus I haven't checked him any further than the above.

---

Last edited:
Commemorated in one invalid koslovae Bird and two kozlovae/kozlowae taxa (see the Key, here and here) [my red bolds]:
koslovae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1972) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Pterocles orientalis arenarius).

kozlovae / kozlowae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1972) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Emberiza schoeniclus parvirostris, subsp. Lagopus lagopus).
  • Pterocles orientalis koslovae Meinertzhagen 1934 - v.55=no.380-388 (1934-1935) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library

• Schoeniclus schoeniclus kozlowae Portenko 1962 - [seen (thanks to Björn, see here) but not found online; Портенко ЛА. 1962. Новые подвиды воробьиных птиц. Труд. зоол. инстит. акад. наук СССР, 30: 385-394.; no explicit dedication, but EV Kozlova had collected the holotype ("Тип: ♂, окрестноти Улан-Батора, 6 IV 1924, Е. В. Козлова.")]
  • Lagopus lagopus kozlowae Portenko 1931 - [not seen - Portenko L. 1931. Einige neue Unterarten paläarktischer Vögel. Mitt. zool. Mus. Berlin 17: 415-423.]

Obituary in Ibis (1976 -- free access; incidentally written by the osteuropäischer Ornithologe who was the subject of the previous paper in the series): (There can be no real doubt that 1975 is her correct year of death.)

Apparently commemorated in quite a few (invalid) tischleri Bird taxa (see the Key, here):
tischleri
Dr Friedrich Tischler (1881-1945) German magistrate in East Prussia, ornithologist (syn. Accipiter gentilis, syn. Coloeus monedula soemmerringii, syn. Emberiza calandra, syn. Poecile montanus borealis).
  • Accipiter tischleri Kleinschmidt 1938 - snippets: Falco
  • Corvus Coloeus tischleri Kleinschmidt 1935 - [not seen - Kleinschmidt O. 1935. Die Formenkreise Dohle Corvus Coloeus (Kl.). In: Berajah, zoographia infinita. Halle.]
  • Emberiza calandra tischleri Oleksas 2011 - [not seen - Oleksas OA. 2011. Ornis Baltica-Sarmatica-Balcanica. Berlin.]
  • Parus borealis tischleri Kleinschmidt 1917 - 13 (1917) - Falco - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Though, I can't help wondering why a Baltic guy would name a (Corn) Bunting ssp. (in 2011) after an old Prussian fellow (ornithologist), who died many years before the Author (Auctor) himself was born!? Interesting ...

Without seeing Oleksas' booklet, I guess that a doubt may remain about the dedicatee. It can be noted, however, that the range given for Emberiza calandra tischleri by Oleksas 2015 was "Северо-Восточная Польша, Южная Литва, Калининградская область" (Northeastern Poland, Southern Lithuania, Kaliningrad Oblast), which matches East Prussia quite well, and that he referred to a book by Tischler (Tischler F. 1941. Die Vögel Ostpreuβens und seiner Nachbargebiete. Vol. 1-2. Königsberg, Berlin.) on the same page in his account of the taxonomy of Emberiza citrinella; Tischler also did publish specifically about Emberiza calandra (Jahrg.66;Suppl.Jahrg.66 (1918) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library ).

Last edited:

• Schoeniclus schoeniclus kozlowae Portenko 1962 - [seen (thanks to Björn, see here) but not found online; Портенко ЛА. 1962. Новые подвиды воробьиных птиц. Труд. зоол. инстит. акад. наук СССР, 30: 385-394.; no explicit dedication, but EV Kozlova had collected the holotype ("Тип: ♂, окрестноти Улан-Батора, 6 IV 1924, Е. В. Козлова.")]
  • Lagopus lagopus kozlowae Portenko 1931 - [not seen - Portenko L. 1931. Einige neue Unterarten paläarktischer Vögel. Mitt. zool. Mus. Berlin 17: 415-423.]

Both seen ;)

Portenko 1962, p.393.jpeg

Portenko 1931, s416.jpeg

Today's updated Key [my red]:
koslovae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1975) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Pterocles orientalis arenarius).

kozlovae / kozlowae
Elizaveta Vladimirovna Pushkariova-Kozlova (1892-1975) Russian ornithologist, wife of explorer Gen. Pyotr K. Kozlov (syn. Emberiza schoeniclus parvirostris, subsp. Lagopus lagopus).

Though, as I see it, none of those (the latter two) were originally written/typed "kozlovae" (ought to be an incorrect, later/alternate subsequent version) ... :unsure:

Either way, we've got the proper Lady (and also her correct years)!

Enjoy!

/B

Last edited:
Amazing amount of work by Bjorn and Laurent! As an aside:
  • Corvus coloeus tischleri Kleinschmidt 1935 - [not seen - Kleinschmidt O. 1935. Die Formenkreise Dohle Corvus Coloeus (Kl.). In: Berajah, zoographia infinita. Halle.]
  • Just what is the relationship with Falco journal and Berajah, zoographia infinita???
Kleinschmidt speals about it in the forward of the first Falco: https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Falco_1_1905_III-IV.pdf .
On the title page he says the price of Berajah und Falco is nine Marks. Suggesting he sees them as linked but seperate??
8 (1912) - Falco - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
SNAB 45 says Some Tischler specimens are in Bonn, but this type, which was collected by Tischler, is thought to have been destroyed in World War II with the balance of the Tischler collection.
https://www.aviansystematics.org/uploads/downloads/145/file/ZV350_111-148.pdf .

Corvus Coloeus f. hilgerti KLEINSCHMIDT, 1935 Berajah “Corvus Coloeus”: Taf. IV. Holotypus (handschriftlich gekennzeichnet): C50464 P, 23.IV.1926, Ingelheim, leg. HILGERT. = Corvus monedula monedula LINNAEUS, 1758 Vgl. ECK (1984: 14-20). Corvus Coloeus f. brehmi KLEINSCHMIDT, 1935 = Corvus monedula monedula LINNAEUS, 1758 Die Verzeichnung des Holotypus bei ECK (2001: 131) war ein Versehen. Die Syntypen befinden sich in der Coll. Kleinschmidt I im Museum Koenig, Bonn.
http://www.whose-tadpole.net/SNSD/vertebrate-zoology/Zool_Abh/Zool_Abh_54_2004_233-316.pdf .

Last edited:
  • Just what is the relationship with Falco journal and Berajah, zoographia infinita???

The title pages of Falco indicate "unregelmässig im Anschluss an das Werk "Berajah, Zoographia infinita" erscheinende Zeitschrift" ≃ journal published irregularly in complement to the work "Berajah, Zoographia infinita".
Berajah was Kleinschmidt's 'great work', which appeared in Lieferungen that each treated an entire Formenkreis / Realgattung (more or less equivalent to a superspecies -- these were the groups that really mattered to Kleinschmidt). As I understand it, here and there, one of these Lieferungen came with an issue of Falco. The latter was more dedicated to smaller questions and side issues, and was also used for various types of announcements.

Falco can be found online up to vol. 20 (1924) at BHL or Zobodat (and up to vol. 25 (1929).
The only significant part of Berajah that I know of online is one Lieferung in Hathi here (Die Realgattung Habicht, Falco Palumbarius (Kl.), published in 1922), which should be viewable from the US (but is not from Europe). Besides this, the only small bits of this work that I have seen online have been scans or pics of individual pages (often quite nice plates showing the geographical variation in a Formenkreis) on second-hand book websites.

Kleinschmidt's nomenclature appears to have been quite peculiar, because he used a separate set of name for groups he called Formenkreise / Realgattungen, between species and genus. The names he used at this rank ended up including a mixture of names identical to names that had been used as species-group names, names identical to names that had been used as genus-goup names, and wholly new names; he capitalized these name; he treated them as a distinct nomenclatural set, with the precedence among them being fixed by the date of their first use as a Formenkreis name after 1900. Meanwhile, he deliberately used extremely broad genera for his time, which adds to the peculiarity of his classifications (e.g., he placed all the diurnal birds of prey that were not falcons or vultures in the same genus Praedo, all the gallinaceous birds in either Phasianus or Tetrao, all the ducks that were not mergansers in Anas).
See his Ornis germanica (1917) to get an idea of the result -- it's well... Atypical. (To say the least.)
Kleinschmidt's Formenkreis names have generally been ignored by those who did not adopt his system. Many are neither in the Key nor in the Richmond Index (although some are -- e.g., Turdus Bragi was a Formenkreis name and is in the Key (as a syn. of Turdus philomelos) and in the Richmond Index; but names like Erithacus Poeta or Erithacus Astrologus are not).

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (34): Johannes Thienemann (1863–1938), Gründer der ersten Vogelwarte der Welt auf der Kurischen Nehrung, by Christoph Hinkelmann. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 70: pp.335–341 (2018) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor is he listed among the Authors (Auctors) in/by Zoonomen.

Either way, he's not to confuse with (Friedrich August) Ludwig Thienemann (1793–1858), who described quite a few Bird taxa (as Thienemann) in the 1820's, and 1830's, as well as in the 1840's.

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (34) [sic!]: István (Stefan) von Chernel zu Chernelháza (1865–1922), einer der Begründer der modernen ungarischen Ornithologie, zweiter Direktor des Ungarischen Ornithologischen Institutes, by Sándor Faragó. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 71 (3/4): pp. 89–96 (2019) [unseen by me]

Commemorated in one (invalid) cherneli Bird taxon (see the Key, here):
cherneli
István Freiherr Chernél von Chernelháza (1865-1922) Hungarian ornithologist, collector (syn. Lullula arborea).

He's not found among the many Authors (Auctors) of any Birds listed in/by Zoonomen, neither do I think we've ever dealt with the cherneli Bird/Lark, nor with the guy behind it.

Either way, if he's of interest, also see the following (fairly recent) Paper, from 2019, by the same Author: Bibliography of István Chernel, Hungarian Small Game Bulletin 14: pp. 19–46, (here, in Hungarian).

---

Last edited:
• Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (35): István Sterbetz (1924–2012), Vater des Naturschutzes der südlichen Ungarischen Tiefebene, Begründer der angewandten Naturschutz-Ornithologie in Ungarn, by Sándor Faragó. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 71 (11/12): pp. 311316 (2019) [unseen by me]

As far as I know he's not commemorated in any Bird taxon, nor is he found among the Authors (Auctors) listed by Zoonomen, and I don't think we've ever had a look at him earlier here on BirdForum (not in any way).

---

Last edited:
Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (36): Ottó Herman (1835–1914), Begründer der Ungarischen Ornithologischen Zentrale, erster Redakteur von Aquila, by Gábor Magyar. Ornithologische Mitteilungen 72 (5–6): pp.151–157. (2020) = here.

Commemorated in the Black-sided/Pied Robin ssp. hermani (see the Key, here), from Northern New Guinea.
hermani
Dr Ottó Herman (1835-1914) Hungarian polymath (subsp. Poecilodryas hypoleuca).

He's also the Author (Auctor) of the invalid Lark ssp. "Galerida cristata madarászi" Herman 1903, but he's neither found in Zoonomen's Author Index, nor on BirdForum (not until now, of course) :rolleyes:

---

Well, that it, that's all of them.

If this series continued in 2021, or if it will continue, onwards, with yet another piece, is all unknown to me.

Either way, on top of this, the same guys of many of those Papers, i.e. Jevgenij E. Šergalin & Uwe Alex, also wrote the following short, but detailed piece (in 2013):
Zoologist and traveller Doctor Erich Zugmayer (16.05.1879-02.02.1938), in Selevinia 21: p.174 (all in Russian) = here.

Commemorated in two zugmayeri taxa (see the Key, here):
zugmayeri
Dr Erich Johann Georg Zugmayer (1879-1938) Austrian zoologist, ichthyologist, explorer, collector in Siberia and Central Asia (subsp. Corvus splendens, syn. Halcyon smyrnensis).
... but not listed in/by Zoonomen, neither is he included in my MS, nor in my notes, and we haven't had a look at this particular guy earlier (not that I can find anyway).

---

All in all, enjoy!

Björn

PS. Great many thanks to Laurent, for the kind (and voluntarily) support throughout this thread, who, in doing so also managed to add quite a few "New" taxa (alt. missed, or forgotten, ones), earlier not included in the Key. Well done! 🏆

/B

Last edited:
One more (last) post, simply to save/spare Laurent the extra amount of work (he's done more than enough, far more than anyone could have expected), this time regarding ...

zugmayeri as in:
• the Northwestern ssp. Zugmayer's House Crow Corvus splendens zugmayeri LAUBMANN 1913 (OD here, in text): "In der Von Dr. Erich Zugmayer aus Baluchistan mitgebrachten ornithologische Ausbeute, ..., befindinen sich unter anderem auch vier Raben, die ..."
• and the invalid* ssp. "Halcyon smyrnensis zugmayeri" LAUBMANN 1926 (OD here, on p.43): "Ich benenne die Form zu Ehren des Sammlers, Prof. Dr. Erich Zugmayer, München, der seinerzeit eine schöne Serie dieses Eisvogels aus Baluchistan mitbrachte. 1)"

Laubmann's footnote (in the latter OD) takes us to his own Paper, from 1914, here, and Hartert's ditto, from 1912, here.

That's all. Enough is enough. At least for now, in this particular thread/topic. ;)

Biografien osteuropäischer Ornithologen (Biographies of Eastern European Ornithologists) ... over and out!

/B

*a synonym of today's White-throated Kingfisher Halcyon smyrnensis (Linnaeus, 1758), a k a White-breasted Kingfisher.

Last edited:
invalid Lark ssp. "Galerida cristata madarászi" Herman 1903,
Here is the alleged OD: Jahrg.10 (1903) - Aquila - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Bianchi cited the name in 1906-7.
ser.5:t.25 (1906) - Izviestiia Imperatorskoi akademii nauk - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Later Hartert listed the name and added (sic!) and said:
Name fur die ungarischlitorale Form unauffallig im Text. Trotz Versicherung der Ermsthaffigkeit des Verfassers beabsichtigte er doch wohl nicht einen neuen Namen zu schaffen da ihrer schon drei vorhanden waren.
Google translate=
Name for the Hungarian litoral form inconspicuous in the text. Despite assurances of the author's seriousness, he probably did not intend to create a new name, since three of them already existed.
Bd. 1 - Die Vögel der paläarktischen Fauna - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Name listed in the Key.
The Key to Scientific Names - Birds of the World .

Last edited:
For the sake of completeness:
Commemorated in the Black-sided/Pied Robin ssp. hermani (see the Key, here), from Northern New Guinea.
hermani
Dr Ottó Herman (1835-1914) Hungarian polymath (subsp. Poecilodryas hypoleuca).

PS. Great many thanks to Laurent, for the kind (and voluntarily) support throughout this thread, who, in doing so also managed to add quite a few "New" taxa (alt. missed, or forgotten, ones), earlier not included in the Key. Well done! 🏆

Many thanks to you for providing the thread in the first place, Björn. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back