• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (4 Viewers)

Thank you for pointing that out Christine. It's easy to take things like that for granted. I'm very confident though that any member of staff in the visitor centre would gladly go and open one if asked.
The paths though are excellent as I'm sure you'll agree and just about every hide is suitable for disabled people, unless I've got that wrong too! :eek!:

I haven't decided yet what, if anything, to do about another NW meet.

Hi Nina(hope all is well with you- and yes reading betwen your lines, it does indeed sound possibly similar ).
My other half is now retired as he has started to have his legs give way in an alarming fashion, so he has been pensioned off, bless him, but then this year I had the greatest delight of being taken on by the training centre where I have been studying both numeracy, literacy, ITQ and NVQ 2's they decided that it was so very unfair that after three years, 3,000 application letters, and no end of interviews (because they must interview disabled people to get the positive about disability ticks they put on job site advertisements) it was about time they showed businesses that disabled people do have brains, the Chief Executive of the training centre managed to get the backing to open another training centre so he could give me a job, so as I was going off for interviews he kept saying, you don't have to take the job if it isn't quite what you want, I have got plans for you, you know what, I am the senior basic skills tutor, have been to one of the colleges where they have been gobsmacked at my methods for teaching, as I am doing what teachers are now being told to do.
I use everyday objects to help others understand how to do things. I use many different websites to practise the skills needed, the how to do factsheeets are invaluable, as the people who use them find one will suit them better than another. I have got a 50% success rate or higher in getting them through their learning. I am so happy now that I want others to feel there is light at the end of the tunnel despite how long it takes, I just want others to know that NO DISABILITY CAN NOT BE OVERCOME, I have proved that no matter how disabled I may be I can still get work, enjoy my job, and become healthier because of getting work! All my friends are amazed at the difference having a job has made to me, I have a new focus on life, so my health has improved, I have no depression now!o:D
Anyhow i ended up in a "scooping up" job last week when i got knocked off my bike by some, er, individual who didn't even have thetime or common courtesy to put his mobile phone away before blasting past so close knocking me off onto the pavement / verge.shortly before hotfooting it away through the red lights to make good his escape or have his reg. plate revealed.I did, however, feel, at the time, him stopping to ask if i was ok (alive ?)would have been a decent gesture under the circumstances but sadly that wasn't to be either .
Perhaps he was afraid of the consequences of his actions, but his time will come, there is always justice, if he shot the lights and there was a camera, the police will have the evidence already. I hope that there will be something happen to get him one way or another, but poetic justice happens frequently! I have seen it in action many a time!
Anyhow after a week + bit(in hospital losing all track of time etc) later at heaven-only-knows-what-cost-to-the- NHS (ok i don't know for sure but i am willing to bet those CT/ MRI scanners they shove you in plus Drs +nurses pay means it is not a cheap deal at any rate !!!!!!! i was then sent home with a pile of pills, a totally uncontrollable unsteerable zimmer, AND a wheelchair... (wHAT A learning curve THAT IS!!!.
YUP! Just be glad it wasn't 2 walking sticks on wet pavements!!!!!
Jeez the looks some people give you when they see a w'chair coming towards them in Tesco's. wHY LOOK UP TO THE CEILING FOR GOODNESS SAKE (whats up there that'lllchange anything ?? They are praying to their God that it will never happen to them!!!!:-Oand lets not forget the massive pile of pills i am now stockpiling !!!And although i am now starting to get back upstairs in my house i feel it may be a short while longer before i venture back onto a bike again (no not never, just not for a little while.) I did try and it must have been a very funny sight, a one foot pedal, then the same foot lift it up again!LOL

Re. dog tags etc...In the back of the ambulance, on the way to A+E at the time, i had a discussion with the paramedics re. medic alerts / dog tags etc. as mine was only hand-written on the back of a Barclays Bank Personal Bankers appointment card and laminated (same size as most other cards in my wallet, if not as easy for the OH to buy shoes with it !!!Anyhow back OT, yes i went through the chemo last year and thought that was that but apparently not so fast i am now told the darn thing is coming back so iexpect to be seeing the Oncology dept of Norfolk + Norwich hospital again pretty soon for a different type of chemo this time round.!!! At lesst it isn't more surgery for this one - had that last year - (July 07) and it wasn't thought to be the best option this time around by the Neurosurgeons at Addenbrookes (who, you tend to assumehave a reasonably good grasp of their subject don't you
Hubby has had to have new chains for his medic alert tag as he kept losing the wrist chain links!

the other thing i have come across though hven't bought one is a green ICE bottle (In case OF Emergency that stays in the fridge and has written instructions / current med' instrucvtions kept inside , plus your previous relevant med history, scarsallergies etc . Apparently it is (one of ) a paramedics priority to find it if they arecalled into your home for a pick up, and the fridge is the right place to leave it..They also reckoned the most regularly incorrect piece of info people put down is Current Medication..

I have got one of those, but I have just realised that we have the sticker on the door, but because my fridge freezer packed up a few weeks ago I had better find out where it is, or the medics will be none too chuffed with us, but I do put the current repeat list on the fridge door for both of us!|:$|
The Green bottle I have was free in the Dr's surgery about a year ago.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks for your helpful posts and best wishes.
I'm a new birder (55 y.o.)with a 4 yr old case of MS (L side weakness and very limited ambulation). Here are some of the tools I'm using to adapt:

- mobility scooter: currently an "easy-travel" portable (planetmobility.com) - terrific folding lightweight; soon, a Pride Celebrity X w/4 wheel suspension - will try Christina's basket approach for scope.

- monopod for bins, using Vortex quick release/quick adapt binocular tripod mount (from binoculars.com). very handy and provides excellent image stability and fatigue prevention. monopod doubles as walking stick (sort of)

Just tried a Seqway Personal Transporter last week. Absolutely the most amazing thing I've been on in 4 yrs...potential for total lifestyle transformation...free at last, free at last. They're pricey., though. They make an off-road model (XT) that you can add a golf bag carrier to (e.g. for scope and tripod). Can also add a seat. - possibly the ultimate birdmobile.

Good luck and good birding,

Scott

I was out Birding too. here in NJ,USA.
Viewing the migration at Island Beach State Park; outstanding to witness 100's of white throat sparrows kicking up a storm as they fed in the grassy areas and gleaned pine seed from the Black Pines on this barrier island.
Lots of yellow rumps, red-breasted nuthatch, red wing blackbirds, song sparrows. One red fox feeding on injured migrants laying about parking area, nothing goes to wast in nature.

I have emphysema from 2nd hand smoke; bird from SUV, enjoy my outings and the ever-changing view.

Screech NJ USA

Hi scott,

Great to hear your "free at last", nothing like getting out and about in the Great Outdoors.

The best therapy for mind and soul!

screech

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back