• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (9 Viewers)

samuel walker

It's OK to be a little blue........
I would like to establish this thread to discuss with all at BF who go birding with a physical disability.Let's share together what gear we use and how.Transportation and other considerations the disabled birder faces.I am one and occasionally see others.This will be a chance to help ourselves.
Sam Walker

What a good thread to start, Sam -- bravo!

While not technically disabled, I am dealing with the consequences of a fall last summer (plus arthritis in the left hip) that occasionally makes it difficult for me to walk (I think it's partially a disc problem but the doctors don't agree with me). So I occasionally use a cane.

While a cane can have its uses (holding thorny bushes out of the way while walking, etc.), I find it has limited the walks I go on, and I also find myself avoiding trails that involve much climbing up hillsides, etc. I occasionally have difficulty (and little pain, thank goodness) with putting weight on my left leg -- it doesn't hurt but just gives way. So climbing steps, while not at all impossible, becomes harder because I'm doing it in a one-legged fashion, so to speak, always leading with my right leg and pulling the left after me. And after a half-century of using both legs to get up stairs, this method is rather tiring!

On the plus side, I'm going slower along the trails, and perhaps seeing more, as a consequence.

Also on the plus side, I'm seeing more disabled access in birding sites -- like the one trail at a nearby wetland that is paved for a short distance into the marsh, ending at a pond/wetland that has turned out to be terrific for waterbirds and sparrows!

But there's a long, long way to go yet.

Sam,

A disability has limitations. I still haven't seen your limits yet!

Your friend,
Mike.

P.S. Well, maybe dodging trees.

My name is Karwin and I have protanopia. In common language it means colourblindness. I can see all colours, but I can also mix whatever colour - to me grass & deciduous trees = orange, conifers are brown. Luckily the colours in identification guides resemble the ones on the field! Sometimes I though need wife's aid to determine red/green/brown.

Being deaf the best aid to have when birding (and besides) is to have a very good birder friend with lots of patience and I am lucky enough to say I have a few. (You know who who are!)

I too think this is a great thread to start, Sam, and I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Unfortunately, my disability (heart trouble since a heart attack at age 32) means I was okay for 4 years but as of right now, I can barely make a full walk around my yard (severe angina) let alone actually go birding. I'm hoping that will change after another angioplasty or a first bypass.... whichever they finally decide to do.
I know the big spring count will likely be coming in May and I want to be able to participate in it. Here's hoping.

Sam what a fascinating thread and Elizabeth I didn't know of that link either, I am most of the time confined to a wheelchair now but I do sometimes manage to toddle a few steps with a stick, but spend a fair time sprawled on my face or backside quite unceremoniiously, but inclined to spend more time creasesd up with laughter at my own misfortune when I end up in a heap, just because I'm recalcitrant enough not to give in and sit in the chair and feel sorry for myself! I have three discs now disintegrated, and the bones are also dissolving so one day I'll just be a lump of boneless jelly, but that isn't now, and I hope it won't be for a long time yet.

Hi Samuel, and welcome. I,m also disabled[post polio] walking is almost zero but **it happens. My birding is done mainly from the car window using a window mount, gear is opticron es80 45 deg angle and optolyth 10x40 alpin bins also started slr photography .

I have a great set up.My mobility is quite limited.But I have a battery powered trike,which has a large basket on the back.I bought a carry scope pack from Wharehouse Express,and the scope,tripod and hide clamp all fit into their separate compartments.I stand it up in the basket behind the seat and secure it with a bungee strap.This means I can stop and lift out each individual item and set up the scope and tripod within a few yards.So I do not have to carry anything any great distance.I am most times able to pedal using battery power so am able to go up small hills.So I am able to go all around the sea defences and into the bird hide and places where it would not be practical to take a car and have to carry the stuff needed.All my equipment has been chosen for its ease of use and it is all light.I am obviously restricted ,as to the fact I am not able to get as close to the birds as I would like to be able to do,hence my digi scoping pics are not always very good,but I enjoy myself and am outside in the fresh air.Plus I can stop on a sixpence on the Trike if I see a bird,take the camera from the front basket,or sit with my binoculars and do not disturb the bird or fall off the trike.It is great.
Obviously one is somewhat restricted by the weather,but I can always practice digiscoping birds from the backyard as they perch on roofs and phone wires,or just pop outside and catch the seagulls on the pub roof.
I used to do lots of walking and motorcyling,and found it hard when these things became impossible,so I adapted.I needed to be outside,sitting down but not looking like a spare part,so took up birdwatching,and photography kicked in as an extra challenge,esp digi scoping as it is very rewarding and gives that little extra interest.The only thing is I find that trying to stand ,using the camera on the end of the scope can cause great discomfort,but if I manage a decent pic at the end well I am very happy.Have tried to use a scope sitting down but it is impossible.So if anyone else has mobility probs ,think and find a way around things,and you will be able ,to a certain extent to find a way to do whatever you want to do.Go out there,and go for it.

Nina,I had to be trundled around the Bike Show at Birmingham in a wheelchair,as hubby said he was not taking me unless we took the wheelchair.I think the down side of it was,that he wanted something to lean on as he pushed me around,also it was convenient for him to hang his bags of newly purchase bike goodies on the arms at the back,and everytime I emerged from the loo,he was sitting in it,no more said!!

By the way, have I told I'm colourblind? Something in completely blind, or deaf persons reminds all the time of their disabilities, but the colourblind thing is forgotten by others in one minute.

Usually whenever ten persons are gathered, one of them has some sort of colour vision deficiency.

Great thread Sam, I have emphysema, not able to walk more than 15-20 ft, then rest. Am on oxygen 24/7, have a rack to hold my spare O2 tanks.
I use a window mount for photos while cruising back country roads.
Can't wait for the Spring arrivals! ...;O)

Christine, I have a tripod that I can use from my battery powered buggy, it was a really super buy, from Macro, at a tenner it is very light but not very stable, but it does have a bubble to give the level, and the legs extend in two stages, and with the buggy, the seat swings either side. I can get quite a good shot off as long as I don't bash the stand, so in some respects I should use the delay button, that way there would be no wobble at all, but you can't know when the birds will be in the viewfinder, so there goes the plan in smoke! I have taken some "Nice" pictures but never any really great ones, yet, but there is still time and the fun is in the trying!
I do know what you mean about hubby's sitting in the chair, but my "poor old fella", he's younger than me, has Acromegaly, or Giantism which hit in his thirties, so he can't really push me about, and my being ony half working, means I cant propel myself so the battry power is what I'm really left with, and BP is very limiting, the best distance is ten miles, on flat and level ground, but if gradiented then four is the norm.
Most of my birding is done from the windows, or the garden, where I can toddle a few feet, sit and toddle again, all the way down the garden, which is huge, and the fact I overlook four fields, at the back, and can see all of them in winter, when the spring comes then it is less perfect, but with these fields there are some rather rare birds, particularly the Goshawk and the owls, and I still hope to see a nightjar or two eventually. The local farmers seem to be keen to encourage the wild birds and have taken advice from the RSPB to help maitain dying out species, I also have a couple of partridges scuttle out as I appear, and haven't yet discovered which they are, I expect they are the common red legged ones but only seeing them from behind makes proper ID awkward.
Poor Karwin, my dad was colour blind, so wasn't allowed to be a pilot, and I wonder if he should have been a driver, as he often jumped red lights, or never noticed them, used to scare us kids witless. I do understand but he never really talked about it, so we never really understood.
That is often the problem with disablity, until you experience it you don't understand it. I still think the best way to help ourselves is to encourage others to put themselves in the position of the person who has the disability, when I was with a guide unit we tried to understand disability by putting a blindfold on or earplugs in or tieing a hand behind backs, or strapping to a wheelchair, but although it was an idea, it certainly never gave the whole story! The only thing I can say is, even though we carry our crosses we should never show ourselves to be miserable, as it instantly creates trouble. Even when we are really down, we should pin that smile on and hope the tears don't show, as it does matter to others!

Thanks for compassion. Though I rarely feel colourblindness as a nuisance - I would not switch on normal vision even if it was possible.

True, it is difficult to tell the others what's this like: Imagine a summertime landscape which is mainly orange (ie. the green stuff). But as this is congenital, I have seen it all my life and there's nothing peculiar in it. To me green is a dull colour and I am happy not to observe it in nature.

Though just in january I missed a lifer because of this (didn't see the red bird in the bush).

-I have guided fieldtrips to completely blind birdlisteners & had hard times trying these excited recorders not to rush into bushes of nettle & rose, after an Acrocephalus dumetorum etc. :)

That I could well imagine too, I have constantly admired Andrew for his threads on birds which I often wonder how he can find them without being able to hear them, as that is the way I can spot the birds first, by hearing them then following the sound to locate them hiding in the bushes, I couldn't imagine anything worse than deafness, a fuzzy hearing problem is bad enough, but we all adapt to our dilemmas, and most of us are apparently good enough natured to not make too big an issue of it.

Nina P said:
The only thing I can say is, even though we carry our crosses we should never show ourselves to be miserable, as it instantly creates trouble. Even when we are really down, we should pin that smile on and hope the tears don't show, as it does matter to others!

Nina, you got it right on with this comment. That's certainly how I try to live my life and I only wish more people would follow a rule like this.
This thread is amazing for learning more about people. It really puts personal problems in perspective.
All the best to everyone and more power to you for making a negative into a positive! :)

Nina and Tammie,your comments are very inspirational.Unfortunatley I am one of these people who find lack of mobility very annoying.But when digi scoping I have lots of patience,about the only time I have!!.So in a way birding and photography have helped me to adjust to a slower ,more frustrating way of life.I also found the views of people with colour blindness and deafness very interesting.It is something one normally would not think about.So I suppose ,in a way,we all have to make the best of what we have.
I still miss not being able "to get my leg over " a fast bike though !!sob,sob,

Christine, I do understand, fast bikes were great fun, and I cuss the slowness of the supermarket buggy's, and my own BP special, I do have two choices, tortoise or hare pace! but getting a leg over is just as hard as getting the leg UP! never mind I am inclined to jest about it, which does help in some respects, but frustration can be the most difficult thing to overcome. I think I have managed to come to terms with my lot, but it has taken 7 years to accept the inevitable, and now I have discovered how to encourage others to talk to disabled people, and to respect them, that is to be open about the whole problem and not to get (heavy) just to crack jokes about it. I love the respect I get in the supermarket, but only because I wear a huge grin, and I'm not afraid to ask for help for items on the top shelf, but always politely, as that gets the best response.
There are some though who still look at you as if you just crawled out of the mire, but I say you get allsorts in this world and some are just IGNORANT! They then run away like their tails are on fire! I have got many more willing to help when things are difficult, not out of fear, but because they can. I always remeber to say thank you with a smile and the response is generally, so pleased to.
Amazing how much a smile and manners CAN do.

the only disabilities I have are wearing glasses and being a bit thick. I guess it's
difficult for some non-disabled folks to know what to say at times..... and on the other hand you don't want to sound patronising etc etc. I hope I get it right.....!

so however u do it - enjoy your birds!

as ali G would say Respeck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back