• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (5 Viewers)

I suffer with Chronic Sciatica so I can only carry my tripod & scope when I have good days.

Lucky for me the Dr says I have to keep moving so I do not seize up. A good excuse for birding.

CJ

I have to agree with Nina, a smile and a friendly manner go a long way in helping other people realize were just like them, only a little different. ;o)

Do any of you fine people find that other people don't believe you about your disability? I've never been actually accused of lying about it but have had to actually convince some people about my heart trouble. I've heard a few other people with heart trouble also say that. If you can't see it, it's not there. Or in my case, I'm much too young (first heart attack at 32, second surgery at 36) to have this disease. Well, tell my genes that because it's hereditary (my father died of a third heart attack at 37 before we had a name for this and most of his brothers didn't make it past 45, no matter what their lifestyle) and out of my control. It's definitely there and I'm probably looking at surgery (hopefully angioplasty and not a bypass yet!) next month or May at the latest. At this point, it's just not soon enough because I can barely walk to the end of my driveway! :(
Okay, don't mind me. I'm having a particularly bad day. That's the end of my rant. Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with people.

Tammie said:
Do any of you fine people find that other people don't believe you about your disability?.... Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with people.

I had an awkward incident a few months back.
A friend of mine was recovering from surgery and I suggested he tag along as I was going out with my camera for the day. Whilst walking around a lake we were approached by a woman asking if one of us could help her dog out the water as the bank was a bit steep. I've had my ankle 'fused' and I'm a bit unsteady on uneven ground, and my friend was in no position to help out, so I explained the situation. She gave us a rather dirty look and wasn't too pleased, she obviously didn't believe me. As far as I was concerned she shouldn't take her dog out if she can't look after it .

Never judge a book by its cover (o)<
Dylan.

dylan said:
I had an awkward incident a few months back.
A friend of mine was recovering from surgery and I suggested he tag along as I was going out with my camera for the day. Whilst walking around a lake we were approached by a woman asking if one of us could help her dog out the water as the bank was a bit steep. I've had my ankle 'fused' and I'm a bit unsteady on uneven ground, and my friend was in no position to help out, so I explained the situation. She gave us a rather dirty look and wasn't too pleased, she obviously didn't believe me. As far as I was concerned she shouldn't take her dog out if she can't look after it .

Never judge a book by its cover (o)<
Dylan.
Thanks for joining the thread Dylan and sharing the story.I think what most of us dread most is an emergency in the field.The cell phone should be part of standard gear for disabled or able-bodied who go a lurking in the woods.Ieven keep the number of the local park authority on speed dial just to speed things up.Safety is no accident.
Sam

Last edited:
Sam, you and I are on the same page. My cell phone is packed withmy camera gear. Important numbers pre-dialed. I also leave a list of locations for the day.
Tammie, I had an encounter two years ago when I was able to function without oxygen.
I had parked in a Handicap area and just started to walk into a store when I was approached by an irate women telling me I was parked in a Handicap Zone.
I replied, the necessary sticker is on my car and I'm legally parked there. She started to go balistic and I told her, "Call a cop, if you think your right". I went in and shopped and when I came out, there she was with a police officer standing by my car.
She couldn't wait till I got there, in a loud voice she exclaimed, "See, he"s only walking slow, he's a real actor". The officer told me sorry guy, you have the ID card that matches that Handicap Tag, I told him yes and took it from my wallet. He checked the numbers, handed it back and said "Enjoy your day". I replied no problem, she now was beside herself and told me I don't look handicapped, I replied, "disabilities are sometimes on the inside but they exist just like yours not being visible". She gave me a weird look and said "I'm not handicapped". I couldn't resist, and said "Mental my dear, mental" The officed smiled, got in his car and we both left her fuming.

Last edited:
Well done, Screech. I could tell a couple of similar ones about people who have had a stroke - briefly, because the whole stories would take too long: one man was ejected from a House of Fraser store for being drunk - marched out by a burly security man, and dumped on the pavement - and falling around laughing, not through inebriation!!

The second was a young woman of 26 or so, who had a stroke when her baby was born - her understanding is perfect, but if she gets a bit flustered her speech can go awry. Checkout at Sainsbury's, checkout person gets a bit cross with her because she can't explain something. Fortunately C was carrying a little card, issued by the Stroke Association, explaining her problem - profuse apologies and very red face!

I would just like to say to those who know me that the REAL reason I keep falling over has nothing to do with alcohol!!! Well not always anyway!

I have one artificial knee and one kn*ckered knee. One of my legs is also nearly 2 inches shorter than the other giving me some great back problems even with a built up shoe (there's no pain quite like sciatica as those who know it will probably agree). Falling over is a regular event but I still consider myself luckier than some as I can get out there and get over rough ground with care. (Don't you just love motorbikes folks - I owe them so much!). I sympathise with the comments from people whose disability is not obvious as, apart from a limp, I may often look reasonably fit (if I lost a couple of stone!).

Can I add a plug for FatBirder and the Disabled Birders Association who work really hard at helping people with problems to get the best they can out of life birding, I was very impressed to meet some of them at the last bird fair.

Good luck out there and lets all help each other!

James

Well I don't have a disability as such BUT....

For the past 20 years I've suffered from Gout, ok cue laughter.... have we all finished?

I now take tablets for it and it is fine BUT when I had my first attack it was absolute agony. I was sitting on a full train when this elderly woman made comments about young people sitting and I got a few glances so I got up to let the woman sit down. However she was suitably embarassed when she saw the pain I was in.

Tim

Thanks for raising the issue of knowing what to say being a difficulty. I am one of the least politically correct people around I think and often have to remember that people judge me by my actions whereas I tend to judge myself by my intentions and there's a big gap there!

Some of my friends call me an old cripple as a term of endearment and whereas that would make me laugh, it would certainly hurt others. There is no answer, you just have to try an let your honesty shine through and your caring spirit show. Nobody gets it right every time and sometimes treading on eggshells is not what people want anyway.

James

My attitude is very much to say what I want in however embarrasing manner it is (struggling to say it right, acting it out or writing it down) and not worry about it as well as not even make an effort to ignore ignorant attitudes from others. In short I just keep going until I meet good people who understand, simple as that. I hope I have said that clearly enough as I don't make sense sometimes!

pduxon said:
Well I don't have a disability as such BUT....

For the past 20 years I've suffered from Gout, ok cue laughter.... have we all finished?
Don't worry Pete, gout is nothing to laugh about and I don't think too many people would laugh at you for that! :eek!:

Not me Pete - there are too many other things to laugh at you for!

Just had my big toes tested and pleased to say I have arthritis in them and not gout. Pleased because I know just how painful it can be from a friend.

James

James said:
Not me Pete - there are too many other things to laugh at you for!

Just had my big toes tested and pleased to say I have arthritis in them and not gout. Pleased because I know just how painful it can be from a friend.

James

Well the first bit is true.

When I had my first attack I couldn't put a sheet on the big toe. But due to the miracles of modern science............

I say folks didn't you know that gout is arthritis?
Sciatica is different but excruciating, and depends on how long it has to be endured, in my case 7 years and still counting, but there you go!
Pete you may have all the wit and wisdom that befits a joker, but when it comes to pain you are no different.
Those who have no visible signs of disability I do really feel concerned, I have seen so many get sieged by those with all good intentions meant, only to be embarrassed by the flash of the badge to prove it. Then it seems to be tricky for both parties. I am really surprised at your episode though Screech, I would have had no difficulty spotting your obvious trouble, so the biddy must have been mentally disabled. The heart conditions that is most difficult to spot is the one who is slim and appears fit but most likely to suddenly drop down dead, I refer to the lost electrical impulse persons, and they can be (very young) under 8 years! I can't remeber the name it has been given but it seems to kill so many athletes.
As for the cell phone I have been told to take it everywhere I go by my dear hubby and to ring home if I get into difficuly, why? I may be more in need of the fire brigade! He means well though!

James said:
with care. (Don't you just love motorbikes folks - I owe them so much!).
James
Yes,James,I do just love bikes!!.Can I take it you are an ex biker whose knees probs have been caused by too many "slides".Barry( hubby ) will have buckets of sympathy for you,he used to race and has smashed so many bones,and has several steel pins in various places.I was lucky,managed to stay on,most off the time!!

Christine

I was not brave enough to slide on my knees, I got hit by an idiot in a car (are you out there Christopher Herbert Darlington?). Broke my right leg in eight places and various other bits of damage. Leg ended up 2 inches shorter and knees wore out after years of limping and pressure from a funny angle!!!!
Nowt wrong with bikes and bikers, its always the "I didn't see you because I couldn't be ars*d looking" brigade.

Love your Norton piccy.

James

James said:
Christine
Nowt wrong with bikes and bikers, its always the "I didn't see you because I couldn't be ars*d looking" brigade."
James

I got smashed up by one of the same type of Idiot. Believe me, I've thought of going round and 'thanking him' but I'd only get in trouble :brains:

Still, I wouldn't be into birding if it hadn't happened. o:)

Dylan.

Disability Update!

Hi Forum!!

I just received word yesterday that I have to be in Hamilton, Ontario for this Thursday afternoon to have balloon angioplasty done on Friday morning! Holy Cow!! That's a 14 hour drive one way and they only give me two days notice!!
I am very excited about this tho'.... I remember how well I felt after the first angioplasty 4 1/2 years ago. The damage is worse this time around so I'm expecting to feel that much better when it's all done.
Wish me luck that by this time next week, I'll be able to walk around my entire yard without being in pain or out of breath (hopefully for another 5 years)..... if there wasn't any snow, at least!
Good luck to everyone. I'll check into this thread when I get back next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back