• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (8 Viewers)

Tammie said:
Hi Forum!!

I just received word yesterday that I have to be in Hamilton, Ontario for this Thursday afternoon to have balloon angioplasty done on Friday morning! Holy Cow!! That's a 14 hour drive one way and they only give me two days notice!!
I am very excited about this tho'.... I remember how well I felt after the first angioplasty 4 1/2 years ago. The damage is worse this time around so I'm expecting to feel that much better when it's all done.
Wish me luck that by this time next week, I'll be able to walk around my entire yard without being in pain or out of breath (hopefully for another 5 years)..... if there wasn't any snow, at least!
Good luck to everyone. I'll check into this thread when I get back next week.

Hi Tammie - well at least you don't have much time to fret!! :eek!: Drive carefully (or make sure your driver does this) - and good luck with the op. Look forward to hearing from you when you're home again. :t:

Thanks so much everyone..... nothing but good will come of this trip! :) Elizabeth, thanks so much for card. Very sweet of you and much appreciated!

Thoughts go out to you, I wish you a very speedy recovery too! Good luck, and boy do I hope it all goes very well! I'll be thinking of you from Thursday onward, Keep the spirits up and you'll breeze it! I couldn't imagine travelling that long anywhere.

James said:
Christine

you out there Christopher Herbert Darlington?).
James
James and Dylan,I do sympathise,similar thing happened to Barry,fortunately he had witnesses,but with a name like the above,well what can one expect!!:eek!:

All the best ,Tammie,we will all be thinking of you,hope there are not too many snow drifts for your driver to get through.Perhaps you had better set of a day earlier,just in case!!

christineredgat said:
All the best ,Tammie,we will all be thinking of you,hope there are not too many snow drifts for your driver to get through.Perhaps you had better set of a day earlier,just in case!!
Thanks Christine and Nina,
Actually, we're hoping to do a couple of hours' traveling tonight to make it easier tomorrow. It's going to be a long but fast weekend! I expect to feel like a whole new person by the time I return and I can't wait! This has been going on much too long already so I'm very anxious to have it finished.
The end of this discomfort is now in sight.... for a little while, anyway! ;)

no laughing

pduxon said:
Well I don't have a disability as such BUT....

For the past 20 years I've suffered from Gout, ok cue laughter.... have we all finished?

I now take tablets for it and it is fine BUT when I had my first attack it was absolute agony. I was sitting on a full train when this elderly woman made comments about young people sitting and I got a few glances so I got up to let the woman sit down. However she was suitably embarassed when she saw the pain I was in.
Hi pete (daffy) Foot and leg pain is no joke no matter what the cause is.It can cut the day short. I keep an inventory of what patches have benches or at least handy deadfalls to plop down on.Since I walk with a crappy gait,I run out of gas quickly.My mates know this and join me.By sitting quietly on a bench near a marsh all kinds of birds pop up.Birds are curious creatures and love to people watch.
Go slow and the list will grow,
Sam

Tammie, I'm late, but good luck and speedy recovery. At least you didn't have a long time to worry before the procedure.

Nina, That incidant happened before I was on oxygen, but I walked with a cane at a slow pace. ;o)

epilepsy

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Well done, Screech. I could tell a couple of similar ones about people who have had a stroke - briefly, because the whole stories would take too long: one man was ejected from a House of Fraser store for being drunk - marched out by a burly security man, and dumped on the pavement - and falling around laughing, not through inebriation!!

The second was a young woman of 26 or so, who had a stroke when her baby was born - her understanding is perfect, but if she gets a bit flustered her speech can go awry. Checkout at Sainsbury's, checkout person gets a bit cross with her because she can't explain something. Fortunately C was carrying a little card, issued by the Stroke Association, explaining her problem - profuse apologies and very red face!
Elizabeth A common result of stroke or,any brain damage is epileptic seizure.It can be small and seen as a spech impediment or dreamy look.If it is a major grand mal attack it can sweep the legs out and cause a fall.Most suffers are medicated to ward off the attacks.The meds themselves can be extreamly strong (read toxic) and can slow a person down mentally.Most attacks are short lived and rarely last beyond a few minutes until the brain balances.Objects should never be inserted into a victims mouth or limbs restrained.Helping a sufferer back to his/her feet may be needed. Sufferers should be aware of not placing themselves in dangerous situations when suceptable to seizure,such as driving.Many folks can tell with great accuracy when an attack is at hand and get to a safe position.
Sam

get messed up and go birding

dylan said:
I got smashed up by one of the same type of Idiot. Believe me, I've thought of going round and 'thanking him' but I'd only get in trouble :brains:

Still, I wouldn't be into birding if it hadn't happened. o:)

Dylan.
You are so spot on Dylan Eight years ago I was sailing, bicycling and motorbiking.If you had asked me to run out and chase birdies I'd laugh at you.I did the rehab with the gym.It helped alot at first but I grew to need more Not just for the body but,the mind too I liked nature study as a kid and that's what reawoke.The birds really filled a void.Stumbling around to watch them keeps the body in a fair condition Photography adds an artistic therapy and compliments the birding.BF covers two of the above and lets me socialize with great people.I've kept the sailing by adapting to it with one hand.Being on the Great Lakes puts me in contact with a great many birds and photo opertunities.I'm not thankful for losing part of my physical self.I am thankful that the condition opened my eyes to a new world.I, with one hand am in awe creatures that have no hands yet build nests They prove to me life is pretty good.
Sam

samuel walker said:
I would like to establish this thread to discuss with all at BF who go birding with a physical disability.Let's share together what gear we use and how.Transportation and other considerations the disabled birder faces.I am one and occasionally see others.This will be a chance to help ourselves.
Sam Walker
There is a good article in Wild Bird Magazine the May/June 04 issue about birding as you get older and birding w/disabilties. It lists some ideas that help as well as some locations (mostly in US)that provide special help for those that can use special considerations. Check it out.

wild bird mag disability article

tikey1949 said:
There is a good article in Wild Bird Magazine the May/June 04 issue about birding as you get older and birding w/disabilties. It lists some ideas that help as well as some locations (mostly in US)that provide special help for those that can use special considerations. Check it out.
Thanks Tikey: for the report from Wild Bird mag.I'm sure many of us myself included have wondered about a new patch.I used to tremble in fear at the words "hawk tower" before traveling assuming that the tower was a structure framing a large flight of stairs and no use to me It is nice to know in advance that a park or reserve is disababled friendly.The older parks are a chore where the newer parks seem to make an allowance for the slow of foot.Any type of advanced knowledge is useful.I'll be in contact with Wildbird to get the article first hand.
Thanks again,
Sam Walker
thread editor
The attached photo is my wife on the insurmountable hawk tower at Cape May NJ

Attachments

• Bevy at CM hawk tower.jpg
    Bevy at CM hawk tower.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Screech said:
Tammie, I'm late, but good luck and speedy recovery. At least you didn't have a long time to worry before the procedure.
Thanks, Bob! I'm home now and doing much, much better. I'll be back on the boards more over the next few days and weeks.
I missed this place!!

Horay! Tammies back to stay!
Glad to hear you made it OK.
Just in time for the springtime show!
Now that is sure a good way to go!

Love to you and so happy to have you return in fine fettle, keep on fighting!

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate all you prayers and best wishes. Glad to know I was missed by someone!! ;) ;) ;)

Nina, thanks for the great poem. You missed your calling in life! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back