• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatchers' world record bid (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

95 posts, perhaps 10 of them from 2 people politely and reasonably questioning the wisdom of such a venture and being roundly insulted for it.

Thanks for the effort James and Poecile, I am sure there are many others share your concerns.

I'm pretty green ...no car, just public transport , how many of you can say that? If it makes you feel any better consider a carbon dioxide trade off is made between me and the lucky couple.

This carbon dioxide angle of debate is a bit of a non starter as far as I am concerned and you won't get a much greener person than me. I bet if your lives were put under scutinity from an environmental perspective you would all be capable of criticism. As much as I hate biblical quotiations 'Let he without sin cast the first stone'.;)

I'm pretty green ...no car, just public transport , how many of you can say that? If it makes you feel any better consider a carbon dioxide trade off is made between me the lucky couple.

This carbon dioxide angle of debate is a bit of a non starter as far as I am concerned and you won't get a mucher greener person than me. I bet if your lives were put under scutinity from an environmental perspective you would all be capable of criticism. As much as I hate biblical quotiations 'Let he without sin cast the first stone'.;)

I didn't realise it was a competition, nor was I casting stones.

95 posts, perhaps 10 of them from 2 people politely and reasonably questioning the wisdom of such a venture and being roundly insulted for it.

Thanks for the effort James and Poecile, I am sure there are many others share your concerns.

There's at least one other, Steven, but I'm keeping my head down for fear of it being bitten off.

Graham

There's at least one other, Steven, but I'm keeping my head down for fear of it being bitten off.

Graham

I am sure there are many in the same boat Graham.

I don't personally have a particularly strong view on the trip itself. I did think that the subject was worthy of some sensible comment and consideration though. More for the message it sends out than the C02 emissions involved.

But yet again the topic is polarized to death by the BF pro aviation lobby.

There is no need to fear people who resort to insults rather than reason Graham, Like Mr Healy once said..."Its like been savaged by dead sheep"

I am sure there are many in the same boat Graham.

I don't personally have a particularly strong view on the trip itself. I did think that the subject was worthy of some sensible comment and consideration though. More for the message it sends out than the C02 emissions involved.

But yet again the topic is polarized to death by the BF pro aviation lobby.

There is no need to fear people who resort to insults rather than reason Graham, Like Mr Healy once said..."Its like been savaged by dead sheep"

Thing is Rozinante,
When you try to engage in sensible discussion, and valid reasoning with the people who are Anti- the trip, (e.g. posts 37 and 64, plus many others no doubt), they just ignore you, and keep re-iterating the same stuff.
One of the "Anti-Trippers" is on another forum talking about a forthcoming trip to China FFS!

As myself and Poecile said via PM the other day, after our little spat on here, let's agree to differ. That way this won't become any more acrimonious than it already has.

Let's face it this polarises opinions more than nearly any other topic (except hunting and twitching) and we are all never going to agree.

rgds 'A guilty party'

I'm pretty green ...no car, just public transport , how many of you can say that? If it makes you feel any better consider a carbon dioxide trade off is made between me the lucky couple.

This carbon dioxide angle of debate is a bit of a non starter as far as I am concerned and you won't get a mucher greener person than me.

Well lot's of us can Mr Dancy ;)

Why don't you sign up for the BIGBY 2008 challange? http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=104788

(it's just for fun but we might as well raise the profile of alternative methods of getting our ticks and increase our 'self-found' lists into the bargain ;))

One of the "Anti-Trippers" is on another forum talking about a forthcoming trip to China FFS!

I should probably stop reading this thread, that said, if this is a reference to yours truly, my proposed journey to China would be as part of my partner's once-in-10-year pilgrimage to see her family. It is regrettable and sounds rather dramatic but the fact of the matter is we'd have to fly the distance or fail seeing her parents again before they die. I believe Monbiot calls them 'love miles'.
Otherwise, we never set foot on an airliner, which is the choice we make, despite how nice Prague must be in the autumn.

This carbon dioxide angle of debate is a bit of a non starter as far as I am concerned and you won't get a mucher greener person than me. I bet if your lives were put under scutinity from an environmental perspective you would all be capable of criticism. As much as I hate biblical quotiations 'Let he without sin cast the first stone'.;)

The problem with this thinking is that it lets everybody off the hook, we can pollute all that we want without censure because even those hairy greenies fart methane and exhale CO2 (weirdly an argument used with apparent sincerity somewhere in this thread).
Clearly that's the road to oblivion, if also quite frighteningly the one chosen by our respective governments.

As I said before, we are all of us hypocrites. If we are to stave off climate change, the aim is surely to become the slightest hypocrites that we can each reasonably achieve.
It's up to us an individuals to decide what that means for us, and perhaps it is fair that some responsibility lies on our comrades or critics to nudge us in the right direction. We are all in the same boat, after all.

With that, I'll stop being one of those people who repeats himself!

I should probably stop reading this thread, that said, if this is a reference to yours truly, my proposed journey to China would be as part of my partner's once-in-10-year pilgrimage to see her family. It is regrettable and sounds rather dramatic but the fact of the matter is we'd have to fly the distance or fail seeing her parents again before they die. I believe Monbiot calls them 'love miles'.

You won't be needing your binoculars then! Or does Monbiot have some buzz word to get around that too? or should your partner be going on her own? My head is spinning!

By the way.. I wouldn't be having any of these thoughts had I not read this thread from the start. Previously I'd have said "good for you, go for it, enjoy your trip, post some pics when you return." I'd also think it was none of my business what you do!

While I'm here..

You should ask them if the RSPB, their former employer, is supporting them. Because they are uncharacteristically quiet on this one.

The RSPB certainly have enough pages of adverts for foreign birding trips in their members magazine, which just dropped through my letterbox.

Let's face it this polarises opinions more than nearly any other topic (except hunting and twitching)

I'm planning a world-wide trip, visiting all continents on coal-fired Aeroflot, but coming back through Heathrow every weekend to feed my caged Willow Tit, in which I'll be twitching all known species, getting as uncomfortably close to them as possible in order to photograph them, then ringing them while holding them by the tail, and then hunting them down with dogs in order to put them on my UK400Club list.

There. That should do it. Maximum controversy, minimum effort.

I'm planning a world-wide trip, visiting all continents on coal-fired Aeroflot, but coming back through Heathrow every weekend to feed my caged Willow Tit, in which I'll be twitching all known species, getting as uncomfortably close to them as possible in order to photograph them, then ringing them while holding them by the tail, and then hunting them down with dogs in order to put them on my UK400Club list.

There. That should do it. Maximum controversy, minimum effort.

You got it all in one. ;)

I'm planning a world-wide trip, visiting all continents on coal-fired Aeroflot.

Ah, the ultimate in environmentally friendly airlines. It's a surefire way to reduce your carbon footprint - with Aeroflot you'll probably crash on the first leg, thereby avoiding pumping out all that 'orrible gas on the rest of your trip. Happy travels ;)

I didn't realise it was a competition, nor was I casting stones.

It's not a competition, my statement was rhetorical. As most people would gather.;)

The second part of my post was not referring to you but to those that are casting stones by implication. I stand by what I say but will expand. Each and every person is entitled to an opinion. For those of you who are against the lucky couple on the basis of their carbon footprints please examine your own, for fear of being hypocritical.

I for one have been folowing their challenge on their website. I have not read all the threads either for or against but I would like to say well done to them both. :t:B :)

The main problem now is their website is unavailable ! www.thebiggesttwitch.com
Is it me or is it them.... seems ashame if they are carrying on for the next two months and there will be no news.
Cheers
ColD
http://www.cretewww.com
http://www.freewebs.com/colnsue

Last edited:
Hmmm....I can't get the page to load either. I assume it's just a temporary glitch - surely they won't stop updating just because they've passed the total?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back