• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

Is the valve somewhere in the middle of the resa ?

If it has to refill from rainfall then who knows it could take years and nature might start reclaiming it ....lol

A pic from June 2011 the last time I saw it so low.....

Attachments

• tow.jpg
    tow.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 73
Lots of disturbance amongst the tree-roosting birds around the Sailing Club during my brief visit this evening. The reason became clear when a Peregrine flew off south around 7.30pm.

Three Great Crested Grebes on Upper.

Is the valve somewhere in the middle of the resa ?

If it has to refill from rainfall then who knows it could take years and nature might start reclaiming it ....lol

A pic from June 2011 the last time I saw it so low.....

Valve is near the dam, as that's the deepest part.

By the way, the av yearly rainfall in Birmingham is around 2ft, with 30ft of reservoir to fill up in order to restore it to its full depth

Thanks Josh....if deepest by Dam then any stray birds on far shore will be a lot closer?
Be on a zimmer before its full again...lol

In theory yes, but who knows how it will end up. Besides, In the short term I expect by the time the water levels are that low the dam will have been closed off for the repairs. Long term, who knows what will happen.

We lost the Phalarope for some time around 7.30 as it was taking little flights around the bay area.....I thought it had gone but got it again at 7.50ish.

Had a Falcon type around the bushes area at back of boating car park then one shot out by the overflow channel and across the water after swallows......too dark to get a proper view.....very small with long tail though.

1 and 2....spot the birdie
3...the bay it favoured this evening.

Attachments

• PHAL 1.jpg
    PHAL 1.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 91
  • PHAL 2.jpg
    PHAL 2.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 89
  • PHAL 3.jpg
    PHAL 3.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 84
We lost the Phalarope for some time around 7.30 as it was taking little flights around the bay area.....I thought it had gone but got it again at 7.50ish.

Had a Falcon type around the bushes area at back of boating car park then one shot out by the overflow channel and across the water after swallows......too dark to get a proper view.....very small with long tail though.

1 and 2....spot the birdie
3...the bay it favoured this evening.

Hobby has been reported today.

Who announced the Grey Phalarope had been taken by a Sparrowhawk at 9.00 this morning? (I note the Tweet since retracted).

Decided to go to the Wyre Forest instead, and saw absolutely ------- all, a complete waste of time. Even dipped on the Dipper. A max of 6, yes SIX species seen.

Richard, somewhat disgruntled

Who announced the Grey Phalarope had been taken by a Sparrowhawk at 9.00 this morning? (I note the Tweet since retracted).

Decided to go to the Wyre Forest instead, and saw absolutely ------- all, a complete waste of time. Even dipped on the Dipper. A max of 6, yes SIX species seen.

Richard, somewhat disgruntled

There is a tweet from Belvide to say their Gray Phalarope had been taken by a sparrowhawk.. Certainly not the case at Bittell.

There is a tweet from Belvide to say their Gray Phalarope had been taken by a sparrowhawk.. Certainly not the case at Bittell.

Thanks Josh

My mistake, dont know my B`s from my B`s 8-P ,didnt know there was one there as well. They seem to be all over the place. Some even turning Red! :-O

Richard

Kingfisher on Lower Bittell Res, it was briefly perched on one of the poles in the corner (where Keith got a photo before). Then it was hidden from my view, I presume perched in a tree by the dam wall. I could hear it calling. Great!

Kingfisher on Lower Bittell Res, it was briefly perched on one of the poles in the corner (where Keith got a photo before). Then it was hidden from my view, I presume perched in a tree by the dam wall. I could hear it calling. Great!

Yes I think they spend a lot of time in those trees......they seem to know we cant see then there.

Has the Phalarope moved on?

I tried to see it on Weds evening but the gathering gloom and heavy showers meant I couldn't find it, even with a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back