• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluethroat in the UK? (2 Viewers)

tigglestiger

Hi all,

I am very new to birding and in my eyes one of the prettiest birds is the Bluethroat. I have seen some pictures of Uk sightings but still they seem very rare on UK shores.

Can anyone tell me when would be my best chance for a sighting.

Thanks

Graham

Your best chance would be in the autumn on the east coast, though they aren't as frequent as they once were. Keep an eye on local bird news. The only snag is that they wont be brightly coloured at that time of year. A few do turn up in spring though, and even more rarely there will be one summering which would be your best chance of seeing one in breeding plumage.

Your best chance is to go to the continent though, I believe that they are moderately common in reed beds in the Netherlands for example.

we've had them at Upton warren, Worcestershire in April/May.Mind you we have only had 2 (2011 and 1981). Not bad for an inland county and yes great birds. East coast in Autumn best bet, but unpredictable. But in best plumage in spring
B :)John

Is the bright blue only during spring and summer?

Adults show variable amounts of blue in the autumn - increasing through the winter. In fact adult males wintering here in Portugal can often be spectacular - and regularly sing in the sunshine ;)

However, in the UK most autumn birds are 1st yr migrants (apparently decreasing in numbers in recent years) and are without any, or hardly any, blue - still very nice birds though.

For two years running (2010 and 2011 I think) a superb male over-summered at Welney WWT, Norfolk. Its still the only male I have seen, most spring or autumn vagrants to the east coast will be juveniles devoid of that pretty blue colour.

All you can do is keep your eyes and ears to the ground and check those alerts.

For two years running (2010 and 2011 I think) a superb male over-summered at Welney WWT, Norfolk. Its still the only male I have seen, most spring or autumn vagrants to the east coast will be juveniles devoid of that pretty blue colour.

All you can do is keep your eyes and ears to the ground and check those alerts.

I disagree with Wolfbirder although I have only ever seen a few Bluethroats in the UK most of them (ie 2 out of 3) have been spring males. One at St Abbs Head in Berwickshire was singing. I think that on mainland Scotland, at least, they are more late Spring birds than Autumn.

Most of the Scottish records are of the red spotted svecica subspecies but the white spotted subspecies cyanecula has been recorded a few times, it is less rare in the south where it tends to turn up earlier in the spring than the red-throated ones.

With help I was able to see the white-throated subspecies in the Netherlands a few years back.

Regards

David

White-spotted Bluethroats tend to arrive earlier than Red-spotted Bluethroats, passing through from late March through April with the latter more through late April and May. Neither are overly commoner as passage birds with the east coast being the best bet in the right conditions, remember 2 or 3 at the same time at Lamdguard a few years ago. Alternatively the northern isles late April but again not common

Was one at Rainham Marsh briefly and a long stayer at Welney....as others have said just keep an eye out and jump when one turns up.
Great little birds...hope you get to see one soon.

Your best chance is to go to the continent though, I believe that they are moderately common in reed beds in the Netherlands for example.
In about 1.5 months there'll be multiple birds singing some 10 miles from the Harwich-Hoek van Holland ferry... and there are much better places. Getting good views should not really be a problem.
In the UK, you'll really have to wait – I don't think there have been many birds like the one at Welney.

In about 1.5 months there'll be multiple birds singing some 10 miles from the Harwich-Hoek van Holland ferry... and there are much better places. Getting good views should not really be a problem.
In the UK, you'll really have to wait – I don't think there have been many birds like the one at Welney.

These SOVON maps are superb! A few years ago I was out birding east of Dokkum just behind the coastal defences with Dutch colleagues in early April when we heard a Bluethroat singing, so your advice is spot on!
MJB

Thank you, I will start looking into a trip to Holland, easy from Harwich....bluethroat day trip anyone?

Is there a particular park / reserve to visit?

Last edited:
Thank you, I will start looking into a trip to Holland, easy from Harwich....bluethroat day trip anyone?

Is there a particular park / reserve to visit?
Plenty of choices...
Closest is the Aalkeetbuitenpolder near Vlaardingen, but there aren't too many birds there.
Largest numbers are around the Biesbosch area south of Dordrecht: really can't miss them there although the area is not the easiest to navigate. The Oostvaardersplassen between Lelystad and Almere have large numbers as well. For a more pleasant birding experience not too far from Hoek van Holland, the dunes north of The Hague are an option, but you'd need some guidance as to where to go.
I had high numbers on the south tip of the island of Texel, but a day trip from Essex is a bit much (note to self: I've done that).
I also had a few birds along the river Mark north of the village of Prinsenbeek, which had the advantage of not being in endless reedbeds.
In the east and south, most remnant moors support Bluethroat as well.
Best thing to do is to send me a private message if you're really planning to go: I can look up suitable locations. Searching in the link I sent earlier should also work!

Most Bluethroats seen in the UK are relatively dull autumnal birds so I think nipping abroad to see spring birds in song is by far the best idea. Whilst Harwich-Holland is certainly more convenient for tigglestiger, for those along the south coast a jaunt over to the Pays de Calais is just as good for the species,

I disagree with Wolfbirder although I have only ever seen a few Bluethroats in the UK most of them (ie 2 out of 3) have been spring males.

Snap ... 2 spring males and a female. Sum plum. All self -found ... but then I guess that's down to just being in the right place at the right time - Farne Islands, so up north again.

edit - forgot I'd seen an autumn bird on Shetland too. Plus a fair few abroad on passage/winter eg Israel and Morocco.

It should be noted they've been a lot less regular in recent years than at times in the past - eg a few years ago I think they were almost outnumbered by Red-flanked Bluetails - and less twitchable - looked like they were swapping over in rarity terms. Although I don't think it followed through the following year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back