• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can this forum support poll? 10x42, 8x42 vs 12x50 (2 Viewers)

NWBirder said:
I for one use 10x42 waterproof roofprism binoculars for my birding trip.. Have seen many people using 8x42 and 12x50. I know the size the binoculars and their powers have been debated over and over. But I am curious to know what percentage of peopls are actaully using each format.

If this forum supports poll, it will be ideal.. need some expert to point it out how to do it.. Otherwise, let's try this

1) 8x42
2) 10x42
3) 12x50
4) Mid-size binoculars (power<=8), such as 8x32
5) Any compact binoculars

I use 10X42 after several years experience with 8X42. As a gentle piece of advice, suggest going with the lower magnification until you are very comfortable with your binocular skills. No matter what the price, the higher magnifications have limitations on field of view.

1 pair 10x50's Miranda - old pair, and inexpensive too
1 pair 10x42's Viking RSPB
1 pair 8x40's Viking RSPB

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
8x42
My birding history binswise goes 7x50 (Dad's old pair), 8x42 (Swift Saratoga) 10x50 Jenoptem, 10x42 Zeiss, 8x32 (Nikon SEs) and 8x42 Ziess Fls. I use the latter in the UK but keep my Nikons out in Spain where the smaller OG is rarely a problem.

My moment of epiphany came a few years back when I realised that 'hand shake' meant that, even on a bright day, I could discern less detail in a friend's 10x32s than his wife's 8x32s. Looking at the FLs I found the 8x were just so much better!
John

#5 for now (Nikon 10x25 Sportstar)

8x42 very soon
(unless the results of this poll sway my decision to go with 10x and/or 32mm; I do like the 10x magnification of the compacts)

6.5x21 porro
7x42
8x25
8x33
8x44 porro
10x35 porro
10x50 porro
Depending on where I am, mode of transport (eg legs or car), what I am looking at and weather.
Least used 10x50, Most used 8x33, always with me 8x25, Nicest handling 10x35 or 7x42.

12x36 mostly (used to be 10x42 until I discovered IS)
8x32 for close work and cover

But....if I had to choose only one "desert island" pair, it would be 8x32!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back