• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (7 Viewers)

I haven't had much to say for a few days.

Last weekend I was dragged to a baseball game and from the top of the stands was viewing a pond 575 feet (175 meters) away.

I cound't hardly make it out with the naked eye but scanning the shoreline with the SX50 I saw this blue heron.

Later a bird kept passing my field a view and so I snapped another photo. It appears to be an Eastern Kingbird who missed the dragonfly...

Anyway, from 575 feet away I like it.

Attachments

• June 2013 06 23 13 28 06.jpg
    June 2013 06 23 13 28 06.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 308
  • June 2013 06 23 12 14 01.jpg
    June 2013 06 23 12 14 01.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 279
This is taken at too great a range by an unsteady hand, so there is no way it can be a great photo.

It has its virtues though. Throughout the winter and spring I often saw and photographed a female kestrel,which has been missing for a couple of months. It frequents a very popular area, Castle Hill in Tenby for those that it might mean anything to, and it is not I that has missed it -nobody saw it for a couple of months. Then a few days ago I heard that she had been seen again, and I've seen her a couple of times in part of her range, sittling on the top of a mast of a dinghy in the local dinghy park.

How can I be sure it is the same bird? Having a camera that can zoom in to make the number on her ring legible is something of a help.

She is two this year, so hopefully she will have chicks.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/IMG_3764P26_zpse50d1371.jpg

ETA Be warned - the next photo contains several bucketfulls of cute.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp275/dble_photo/IMG_3400swansandcynets_zps8dc50f9b.jpg

David

Last edited:
Repost from yesterday pm:

Ordered a SX50 from DigitalRev and a SanDisk Extreme 16GB card from Amazon so hopefully it will be here for the weekend - not sure I am going to have much of an opportunity to get out and play with it though.

Will have to re-read this whole thread before it arrives :king:

Well it arrived today but I couldnt give it a test run untill after 8 oclock this eve, the light was fading :C First impressions were money well spent. I have only dabbling at Digiscoping so I dont have a lot to compare it with, after following this thread since day one I knew it was what I wanted for my record shots.
There is a lot going on in this camera but I set it up with Crazyfingers set up . I added a couple of extra things that have been mentioned as the thread progressed. PS many thanks to the folks who took the time to post

OK no stunning pics but so much easier than digiscoping

The last pic was taken a good way from the subject which impressed me as its sharper than I could of got diging.

Attachments

• CANNON 004 (880 x 660).jpg
    CANNON 004 (880 x 660).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 181
  • CANNON 050 (1025 x 769).jpg
    CANNON 050 (1025 x 769).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 249
  • CANNON 075 (451 x 604).jpg
    CANNON 075 (451 x 604).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 245
  • CANNON 150 (842 x 280).jpg
    CANNON 150 (842 x 280).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 232
On the subject of macro & zoom, here`s one taken at full zoom (Grasshopper). Attaching a Raynox DCR-250 lens & using the zoom, whilst moving in closer, can bring even better results (Moth & Butterfly)

Rob, I acquired the DCR-250 partly based on your butterfly photo. I have only had it a day or so but can't quite get it to work how I thought it would. Is there a specific technique as it seems to be a fixed focus. How close do you need to get. I can get the attachment to work easier on my fixed prime DSLR lens but the SX50 zoom and the macro fitting is making me struggle at the moment.

A few long distance photos from the last day or two using the 1.5x converter and digital zoom.

Barn Owl taken from the window of our holiday cottage c.80m.

Peregrine - perched on cliffs at RSPB Bempton c. 100+m.

Puffins - RSPB Bempton c.50m.

Attachments

• IMG_2585b.jpg
    IMG_2585b.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_2652b.jpg
    IMG_2652b.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_2655b.jpg
    IMG_2655b.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2413b.jpg
    IMG_2413b.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_2259a.jpg
    IMG_2259a.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 423
Well it arrived today but I couldnt give it a test run untill after 8 oclock this eve, the light was fading :C First impressions were money well spent. I have only dabbling at Digiscoping so I dont have a lot to compare it with, after following this thread since day one I knew it was what I wanted for my record shots.
There is a lot going on in this camera but I set it up with Crazyfingers set up . I added a couple of extra things that have been mentioned as the thread progressed. PS many thanks to the folks who took the time to post

OK no stunning pics but so much easier than digiscoping

The last pic was taken a good way from the subject which impressed me as its sharper than I could of got diging.

I like that Merganser shot:t:

Rich

Rob, I acquired the DCR-250 partly based on your butterfly photo. I have only had it a day or so but can't quite get it to work how I thought it would. Is there a specific technique as it seems to be a fixed focus. How close do you need to get. I can get the attachment to work easier on my fixed prime DSLR lens but the SX50 zoom and the macro fitting is making me struggle at the moment.

Hi Bob
Yes you are right that it has a fixed focus distance (about 4 inches) What I tend to do is zoom up enough to loose vignetting & then move the camera towards the subject until it comes in to focus. I can then increase the zoom if I want a larger image, strangely, you need to move the camera away from the subject as you increase the magnification. It takes a while to get the hang of using the Raynox & a steady hand is definitely required (or better still a small tripod) but its certainly worth it. I mentioned that the mount was a tight fit on the camera & I ended up breaking off one of the plastic lugs trying to squeeze them up to fit better. DONT TRY THIS AS THEY ARE VERY BRITTLE.
A better option is this type of adapter, which I now use. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58MM-Lens...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item41736d5aed or if you like spending money, the official Canon one. Hope this helps. Attached is another recent Butterfly pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0667-001.JPG
    IMG_0667-001.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 343
Fabulous pic, Rob.

A couple of questions - does it owe a lot to post production, and to what extent, if at all, is it cropped.

I don't really understand how the fixed 4 inches ties in with the moving it backwards depending on zoom.

How far away from the butterfly was that taken?

I want to have a go at that sort of macro myself.

David

Hi David
I use Picasa to edit my photos & I mostly just increase contrast a bit & add sharpening but not much else. Too much sharpening gives the image an artificial look I think. I try hard to get the best I can before pp & bin no end of shots. I cant remember exactly, but I dont think the image is cropped too much. This individual was found, as is, on a dull morning & was not active, allowing a stealthy close approach (c4 inches) As regards moving the camera backwards, thinking about it, I guess that as you zoom up the lens extends towards your subject necessitating one to move it back away to maintain the c4 inch distance.

Great shots Ian especially the Puffin. Also the Sand Martins are pretty impressive after 10 mins myself trying snap swallows :-O

A quick question regarding method when using these super zooms, do the good folk on here use the LCD screen or view finder when photographing birds. I tried both but found I could hold it very steady through the view finder but no so with the LCD

PS stunning Butterfly pic sir

I use both the viewfinder and the LCD.

For hand holding the camera which I do for most of my photos I always use the viewfinder as likewise I find it difficult to hold the unsupported camera steady enough whilst using the LCD.

For when the camera is otherwise supported such as the window ledge in a hide or leaning against a tree or fence or using a tripod I almost always use the LCD.

Camera arrived, had a quick play and feeling a little overwhelmed with the controls and the manual - I guess I'm a little bit used to my point-and-shoot 40D!

Time to do some re-reading.

Got mine 4 days ago, an upgrade from the sx30-is. I like the feel in my hands much better and the shorter learning curve from the other Canon. Luckily another birder nearby aka Hamhed got his in March and will provide tips. My biggest issue in the past which I attribute to operator error re the autofocus is having a lovely leaf in the close background or foreground in great focus while the bird is shall we say not so much. Hoping to learn how to better pin-point what is in focus. I have never understood why I cannot use the full zoom of the 30x at whatever distance I want, that is it has to be a fair ways away but I suppose it has to do with physics which is hardly my strong suit. Meant to add mine cost US$370 at Best Buy using their website which was nice compared to the $429 posted at the store - just told them the price, they look it up to confirm and voila I got the price!

Last edited:
I finally got one of these (yay!) and will post some shots when I get a chance. But I can't see a thing through the viewfinder under any conditions--I mean literally it's just black. Am I missing something...?

It could be something simple or may be a fault.

Try pressing the DISP button as that cycles between the LCD and the viewfinder. Opening the LCD screen often activates it but when you close it you sometimes have to press the DISP button to reactivate the viewfinder.

Mine certainly came in useful today for the more distant birds perched on the cliffs at RSPB Bempton.

Attachments

• IMG_2864a.jpg
    IMG_2864a.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_2860a.jpg
    IMG_2860a.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3020a.jpg
    IMG_3020a.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2945a.jpg
    IMG_2945a.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2936a.jpg
    IMG_2936a.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 261
It could be something simple or may be a fault.

Try pressing the DISP button as that cycles between the LCD and the viewfinder. Opening the LCD screen often activates it but when you close it you sometimes have to press the DISP button to reactivate the viewfinder.

THANK YOU!!!! LOL, I was missing something, alright!!! I had a feeling it was something like that. I should mention that I really haven't figured out how to use this camera properly yet--I read over the little "get started" guide that comes in the box (though perhaps not closely enough!)...But I have not even begun to tackle the real 235-page manual (which is only available to me in online form). I feel like I need to print it out in order to really read it, and I just haven't been able to face the reality of such a giant print job yet.

Ok, I feel stupid now. And I feel compelled to post a few shots to illustrate that despite my stupidity and general lack of knowledge about how to use this camera, I have somehow managed to get a few halfway-decent shots with the thing...

sx50_FOTE_bf.jpgsx50_GCFL_bf.jpgsx50_CLRA_bf.jpgsx50_CHSP_bf.jpgsx50YWAR_bf.jpg

Ian, I've been meaning to tell you that your shots are amazing!!! Definitely one of the things that convinced me it would be worth it to acquire this particular superzoom....I'm going to spend more time reading this thread to try and steal some of your secrets. ;)

But here's a few more I've gotten by trial-and-error...

sx50_EGGO_bf.jpgsx50_GRCA_bf.jpgsx50_PIPL2_bf.jpgsx50_FOTE2_bf.jpgsx50_CalSis_bf.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back