• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (3 Viewers)

A morning/afternoon visit 10.30-1.30, a dull overcast day though quite mild.
Firstly let me apologise for copying Ian's format, but it is a good template!

Todays sightings were:-

Car park area-
25+ Greenfinch,Yellowhammer,Treesparrow,Chaffinch,Great and Blue Tit and Female GSW

Paths-
Reed Bunting x 2,Goldcrest,Woodpigeon x 14,Wren,Robin,Linnet x 25,Redpoll,Siskin x 3 and a Kestrel

Main pond-
Notable sightings-
Goosander x 3 Female,RNGrebe,Gadwall,Shoveler and Goldeneye Female

Feeding station-
Not visited today

Summary-
The Linnet flock usually seen
near the railway line had broken into 20+ groups and were roosting around the bushes and trees North of the pond.
This is where I noted the single Redpoll and the 3 Siskins.
The RNGrebe tends to swim and feed into the corners of the pond, giving good views untill disturbed, usually by dogs.
Photographs today were only record shots due to the miserable weather.

Not a bad day scouting round CBWP today! Going back on wednesday if the weather is fine.

Just a note to add to the list, spotted a juvenile buzzard there in August/september 2004 (I think). Heard it long before it was spotted. ;)

Silvershark said:
Not a bad day scouting round CBWP today! Going back on wednesday if the weather is fine.

Just a note to add to the list, spotted a juvenile buzzard there in August/september 2004 (I think). Heard it long before it was spotted. ;)
Hi Silvershark,
I was at the park today, I think I spotted you or I could be completely wrong, were you carrying a scope and tripod?
Anyway hope you had agood day!
Here is a report from today
Early start 9.00, a frosty but bright morning

Car park area-
Nothing really different to report, Greenfinch and Tree Sparrow were around in good numbers but no sign today of the GSW

Paths-
Reed Bunting Male & Female, Great and Blue Tit, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer. Grey Wagtail and LTT by the stream

Pond area-
The Linnet flock were roosting in the large trees to the North of the pond, and a flock of 8 Siskin were feeding in the Alder trees

Pond-
RNGrebe showing well along with 2 Female Goosander, Pochard and 8 Male 2 Female Shovelor

Feeding station-
Deserted due to lack of food!

Highlight of the day were the good views of the Siskin, I find a species you can approach fairly closely if you are carefull

Attachments

• SISKIN2BF.jpg
    SISKIN2BF.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 134
  • SISKINBF.jpg
    SISKINBF.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 124
  • LINNETFLOCKBF.jpg
    LINNETFLOCKBF.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 127
  • REEDBUNTINGBF.jpg
    REEDBUNTINGBF.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 147
pauliev69 said:
Hi Silvershark,
I was at the park today, I think I spotted you or I could be completely wrong, were you carrying a scope and tripod?
Anyway hope you had agood day!
Here is a report from today
Early start 9.00, a frosty but bright morning

Car park area-
Nothing really different to report, Greenfinch and Tree Sparrow were around in good numbers but no sign today of the GSW

Paths-
Reed Bunting Male & Female, Great and Blue Tit, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer. Grey Wagtail and LTT by the stream

Pond area-
The Linnet flock were roosting in the large trees to the North of the pond, and a flock of 8 Siskin were feeding in the Alder trees

Pond-
RNGrebe showing well along with 2 Female Goosander, Pochard and 8 Male 2 Female Shovelor

Feeding station-
Deserted due to lack of food!

Highlight of the day were the good views of the Siskin, I find a species you can approach fairly closely if you are carefull

Nope, that wasn't me ;) I don't have a scope or tripod. I was there with my mum and our dog (border collie cross).

I got a good view of siskins in Faith Wood (If that can actually be called a wood yet!), didn't seem bothered about me being there at all!

Hi Silvershark,

Sounds like you had a good day out around the park :t:

I called in there this afternoon for a wander around. After an overcast morning the sun came out making it quite a pleasant second half to the day.

No food in the feeding station so it's just as well I took my own ;)

It was only a few minutes before the birds started returning. Over a 20 min period there were - Great Tit, Blue Tit, Willow Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Greenfinch, Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Blackbird and Tree Sparrow.

Heading over to the main pond I passed Goldfinch, Mute Swan, Magpie, Starling, Dunnock, Bullfinch and Yellowhammer.

On the pond itself were Pochard, Shoveler c.18, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Muscovy Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Wagtail, Goosander x1 (fem), Gadwall, Goldeneye (fem), Black-headed Gull, Red-necked Grebe.

In the bushes around the pond were Robin, Dunnock, Reed Bunting x5, Linnet x40, Yellowhammer x14, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Blue Tit, Geat Tit.

Mammal of the day was Fox - just behind the hide. I think it was walking towards me then realised I was there and turned back into the hedge. I have seen them before here, but certainly not a common sight.

I then followed the stream beside Faith Wood hoping for Siskin, Redpoll or even Kingfisher but struck out on all three. 20+ Yellowhammer, a few Goldfinch, Crow and Magpie were the only birds I saw.

Attachments

• IMG_0258ao.JPG
    IMG_0258ao.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0151ao.JPG
    IMG_0151ao.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9948ao.JPG
    IMG_9948ao.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN2728ao.JPG
    DSCN2728ao.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0319b.JPG
    IMG_0319b.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 132
IanF said:
Hi Silvershark,

Sounds like you had a good day out around the park :t:

I called in there this afternoon for a wander around. After an overcast morning the sun came out making it quite a pleasant second half to the day.

No food in the feeding station so it's just as well I took my own ;)

It was only a few minutes before the birds started returning. Over a 20 min period there were - Great Tit, Blue Tit, Willow Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Greenfinch, Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Blackbird and Tree Sparrow.

Heading over to the main pond I passed Goldfinch, Mute Swan, Magpie, Starling, Dunnock, Bullfinch and Yellowhammer.

On the pond itself were Pochard, Shoveler c.18, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Muscovy Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Wagtail, Goosander x1 (fem), Gadwall, Goldeneye (fem), Black-headed Gull, Red-necked Grebe.

In the bushes around the pond were Robin, Dunnock, Reed Bunting x5, Linnet x40, Yellowhammer x14, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Blue Tit, Geat Tit.

Mammal of the day was Fox - just behind the hide. I think it was walking towards me then realised I was there and turned back into the hedge. I have seen them before here, but certainly not a common sight.

I then followed the stream beside Faith Wood hoping for Siskin, Redpoll or even Kingfisher but struck out on all three. 20+ Yellowhammer, a few Goldfinch, Crow and Magpie were the only birds I saw.

Guess I'll need to remember to grab some seeds for the feeding station then ;) I'll try to keep a better record of what I see, but I'm not so good at making a list of the birds I spot! Hoping the sun will come out for a while ;)

Report from today's birding:

Entered the park at the West end - long-tailed tits, robin, great tit, blue tit and goldcrests present there but not in massive numbers.

Road by water treatment plant - two GSW

Carpark - tree sparrows

Trail near visitor centre - goldcrests, siskin, Linnet?, long-tailed tit

Over the railway line was the linnet flock

Pond - first ever sightings for me of the Red-Necked Grebe and Goosander, Muscovy ducks came over to say hello, shoveler, tufted duck, mallard, coot, moorhen, cormrant

And then I headed back because I was starting to freeze ;) On the way though, I spotted a kestral.

Sounds like a good days birding, glad you got a look at the Grebe and Goosander and of course the Muscovy Ducks.. they are quite a canny little pair that seem to have taken up their new residence very well.

53 SANDERLING

An hour spent at the park after work brought the usual species and an unexpected one - Sanderling!

The park is a couple of miles from the shore to the east but this bird came in from the west over the main pond and landed on the mud bank beside where the Linnet flock hangs around by the railway lines.

Site Worth Watching

Hi Ian
Since this thread was started it is definitely starting gain a lot of interest from menbers, I for one keep a close eye on this thread along with Durham Birding they keep me in touch with what is around our area.
Keep up the good work and hope to meet you there one of these days.
Do you think that the muscovy are going to become resident as they seem to hanging around for a long period.

DenBee

DenBee said:
Hi Ian
Since this thread was started it is definitely starting gain a lot of interest from menbers, I for one keep a close eye on this thread along with Durham Birding they keep me in touch with what is around our area.
Keep up the good work and hope to meet you there one of these days.
Do you think that the muscovy are going to become resident as they seem to hanging around for a long period.

DenBee
Hi Den
hope you dont mind me butting in but I spoke to the Park Ranger a couple of weeks ago ref the Muscovys.
She explained they were brought over from another local pond Charltons were they were being abused by the local children, they are very tame they feed from the hand.
I first noticed them last year as younsters, they seem to be doing alright on the main pond, some pics on the next post ;)

IanF said:
53 SANDERLING

An hour spent at the park after work brought the usual species and an unexpected one - Sanderling!

The park is a couple of miles from the shore to the east but this bird came in from the west over the main pond and landed on the mud bank beside where the Linnet flock hangs around by the railway lines.
Nice addition to the list Ian ;)

pauliev69 said:
Hi Den
hope you dont mind me butting in but I spoke to the Park Ranger a couple of weeks ago ref the Muscovys.
She explained they were brought over from another local pond Charltons were they were being abused by the local children, they are very tame they feed from the hand.
I first noticed them last year as younsters, they seem to be doing alright on the main pond, some pics on the next post ;)

Those poor ducks! I hope they have much better lives at Cowpen! Evil kids...

Sunday afternoon 1:30pm - 3:30pm.

Following a sunny morning the afternoon clouded over with high but bright conditions. Temperatures were around 3°C but with no wind, it felt quite mild.

Starting from the car park, the usual Greenfinch and a few Goldfinch were in the trees above the feeding station. Tree Sparrow, Great and Blue Tit were in the bushes beside the car park. Taking the path through the gate stile a Robin was singing in the bushes on the right and a Wren was scolding from the reeds opposite.

As I went through the five barred gate things looked promising along the straight hedge by the Activity Centre as there were loads of birds flying into the tees. as I got a bit closer though I relaised why - they'd been diving for cover! A Sparrowhawk shot across 30 yards ahead of me striaght into the hedge with wings wide open. I thought it had got stuck but it saw me and flew off along the hedge line - scaring off all the small birds! Sure enough I saw three Great Tit along the whole length and that was it!

On reaching the railway lines and turning left I came across a Goldcrest and three Long-tailed Tits feeding in the alder trees. Three Goldfinch were a little further along with Yellowhammer and Blue Tit on the far side of the railway. The large flock of Linnet stll 200+ were wheeling around the sky above the grassy bank. The first bushes around the pond held half a dozen Reed Bunting and a group of 10 Siskin passed overhead - heading for Faith Wood area.

Around the pond I counted 12 birders, three with scopes. An unusually high number - mainly it's families and dog wakers. Sure enough they were watching the Red-necked Grebe and the two female Goosander - none of which were being very obliging - staying a good distance away.

The normal range of ducks were on the pond with Shoveler, Tufted, Mallard, Muscovy, Goldeneye (fem), Pochard, Coot and Moorhen. Loads of Black-headed Gulls as well.

I sat quietly hoping the RN Grebe would come close again, it didn't but the Goosanders did oblige - but only once the light had gone!

Come 3:30pm I headed back to the car park seeing just a few Goldfinches and Magpie. In the trees above along with the Greenfinches a GSW was calling from the very tops.

Attachments

• IMG_0532aao.jpg
    IMG_0532aao.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0903ao.JPG
    IMG_0903ao.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0308ao.JPG
    IMG_0308ao.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0518ao.JPG
    IMG_0518ao.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0600ao.JPG
    IMG_0600ao.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 115
Nice report and pic, Ian
Had a similar experience to you on Sat afternoon with a Sparrowhawk, I had just crossed the new bridge and was trying for some pics of a group of Reed Buntings. I saw a flash of wings dissapear into the field and all hell broke lose! Reed Bunting,Goldfinch and Yellowhammer shot off in all directions, I forgot I had my camera in my hand as I followed the Sparrowhawk into the opposite bushes not to be seen again!
Had a similar list to you on Sat apart from a single Cormorant on the pond, I noticed like yourself very good numbers of Reed Bunting.
See you around ;)

Wednesday afternoon 2.00-3.30
Decided to leave the camera at home today due to the rather misty and murky weather, very cold today probably -1

Paths-
Very good numbers of Yellowhammer around today, I counted 50+ near the Beck, also in the same area good numbers of Reed Bunting 20+
The usual flock of Linnets were roosting near the pond 50+ other birds seen around the paths Greenfinch, Goldfinch, LTTit, Great and Blue Tit.

Main Pond-
Apart from the usual Mallard, Coot. Pochard, Tufted Duck, RNGrebe, Goosander(1x Female) today saw good numbers of Shoveler I counted at least 60, the most I have ever seen on the pond.

Feeding area-
Fairly quite today even though the tables were well stocked.
Notable were GSWoodpecker, Marsh Tit and Tree Sparrow, others included Great and Blue Tit, Dunnock, Chaffinch and Greenfinch.

Summary-
Nice to see the RNGrebe is still around and the large numbers of Shoveler were a good sight on a miserable day weather wise. ;)

Today 10:00am - 12:30pm. Weather quite mild (8°C), no wind, starting off overcast but after an hour cleared to blue skies and sunshine |=)|

I decided to take in the south side of Seal Sands road today. This is mainly a recently planted conifer wood around 5 yrs old with trees reaching 18'. There are a couple of ride grassed rides with a few deciduous trees planted of the same age but not as tall as the conifers. I often see the Siskin and Redpoll heading this direction but today there was no sign. Just Blackbirds, Crow and a Sparrowhawk that gave close views as it glided past 30 yards from me as I was in amongst the trees.

On reaching the car park I checked out the feeding station - very little food today and what the seed that was there was soggy. After putting out some sunflower hearts the birds soon returned. Just the normal selection of Blue, Great and Coal Tit and a single Willow Tit. Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Yellowhammer, Treesparrow, Blackbird, Robin and Dunnock. On heading back to the car park around 20 Goldfinch were on the bushes to the right of the gate - nomrally a roost for them late afternoon.

Heading over to the pond by the straight hedge beside the Activity Centre I saw Long-tailed Tits, Chaffinch, Siskin and a Wren. On reaching the railway line I thought I'd found my first Blackcap - which nomally over-winter here, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a Willow Tit - unringed this time. A few Yellowhammer and a Goldcrest were in the bushes and Alder trees along with four Goldfinch.

The pond itself seemed pretty quiet with mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Muscovy, Pochard, Little Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Shoveler, Goosander female (x1), Goldeneye (fem), Mallard, Mute Swan,

Far side of the railway lines held the Linnet (c.200) and a flock of Meadow Pipit (c.30) flew overhead across the pond. A Kestrel gave distant views as it hovered from a great height.

In the bushes north side of the pond were Reed Bunting (x5) a regular spot for them along with Goldfinch (x4) and a Wren. A little further along the cinder track was a small flock of Linnet in the bushes on the right on the hillside. A Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over heading north behind the hill.

I met up with a local birder at that point and completed the loop back to the car park via Faith Wood and the beck. We picked up a mixed flock of Yellowhammer, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting, Siskin and a pair of Lesser Redpoll which were moving between and field on the far side of the beck to feed and then returning to the beck muddy margins for a drink. No sign of the Kingfisher today.

On reaching the cycle way we headed back to the car park but on reaching the beck my colleague spotted a flash of yellow in the muddy margins of the stream that is being cleaned out by an excavator and the sides regraded. We detoured along the path by the stream getting several views of three Grey Wagtail. We completed the circuit back to the car park taking in the feeding station again - but again it was very quiet with no new birds.

54. SHORT EARED OWL

I called in again this afternoon around 4:00pm having spent a couple of hours down a Dormans Pool. The flock of Goldfinch were still beside the gate to the car park and the feeidng station quiet - but most notable was a Short-eared Owl that flew in from the north behind what looks like a green gas storage cylinder, circled and headed back north - first of the year for this location for me.

Today brought the 54th species of the year - Short-eared Owl.

Attachments

• IMG_0935ao.JPG
    IMG_0935ao.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1187b.JPG
    IMG_1187b.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1000ao.JPG
    IMG_1000ao.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0203ao.JPG
    IMG_0203ao.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 129
Well done on the SEO Ian, really like the Greenfinch pic, how come you get the sunny days and I get the miserable weather!!
See you around ;)

Yesterday afternoon the skies brightened following several dull days so I had a wander over to the park to have a look around. The sun lasted about an hour which long enough for a quick walk around before the clouds returned.

The feeding station was quite busy with Goldfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Willow Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Yellowhammer, Treesparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Blackbird. It was also nice to see Siskin (x7) visiting the feeders and a female Great Spotted Woodpecker make a couple of brief visits and nicely posing on one occasion.

After a half hour I had a wander around the park which itself was very quiet - probably due to the strenghtening wind which reached almost gale force as I got to the top of the hill. It was a good vantage point to sit in the windbreak and view the earth works for the new ponds to the east. The hill will be a good place to view them from once completed. Quite a few Mallard flew in from the Greatham Creek area followed by Shelduck (x9) all of which landed on the main pond.

Other birds of note were Kestrel and a pair of Redwing.

Attachments

• IMG_1785ao.JPG
    IMG_1785ao.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1782bo.JPG
    IMG_1782bo.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2061bo.JPG
    IMG_2061bo.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2066ao.JPG
    IMG_2066ao.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1952ao.JPG
    IMG_1952ao.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back