• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cracking Rain Guard (1 Viewer)

Joe H

United States
This is not a complaint thread – the plastic rain guards on my EL 8x32s have seen 19 years of service, from war zones to South Pacific jungles to above the Arctic Circle. In that time the plastic rain guard has aged and been exposed to high heat, baking sun, sweltering humidity and brutal cold. I probably ought to mention that the binoculars have withstood the same conditions and are working just fine.

Still, I noticed some hairline cracks on the outer surface of the rain guards earlier this year. Today I was surprised to see a bunch more. I’ve been using a compact pair of binoculars most days as it’s still wintery in Alaska and birding was slow. Now that things are starting to melt and the early migrants are arriving I’m pulling the 8x32s out more often.

Luckily I took a picture back in January when I first noticed the cracks. I took another one today. It reminds me a bit of the old dials on Rolex watches back in the 80s when they switched from matt dials to gloss ones. The paint or glazing or whatever they used on the early dials cracked or “crazed.” Some watch collectors actually like it. I’ll attach the pictures below. I have no idea where the watch picture came from – it came up during a google search but it’s not mine.

The rain guard seems to be sound with the cracks only on the surface so I’ll keep it until it eventually disintegrates, or maybe I’ll try to figure out some way to stabilize the plastic. It might even be a good opportunity to make a leather eye piece cover. Either way, I don’t feel like replacing the rain guard every 20 years is too big of an ask, so this wasn’t posted as a complaint. I just though it was interesting and wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar.

Attachments

• EL 8x32 rain guard Jan 23.jpg
    EL 8x32 rain guard Jan 23.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 37
  • EL 8x32 rain guard Mar 23.jpg
    EL 8x32 rain guard Mar 23.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 37
  • cracks.JPG
    cracks.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 37
It doesn't sound like you want to replace it, but if you did, Swarovski might just mail you one if you asked real nice. :)
OTOH, I appeciate the "make do, fix things, or do without" way of life.

Sometimes it depends on what was used on the plastic to make it all shiny, like those Leica BA/BNs that look like they are all lathered up for the sale. No doubt the sun has something to do with it.
Swarovski will take care of you with a new one if requested.

This is not a complaint thread – the plastic rain guards on my EL 8x32s have seen 19 years of service,
Edited
The rain guard seems to be sound with the cracks only on the surface so I’ll keep it until it eventually disintegrates, or maybe I’ll try to figure out some way to stabilize the plastic. It might even be a good opportunity to make a leather eye piece cover. Either way, I don’t feel like replacing the rain guard every 20 years is too big of an ask, so this wasn’t posted as a complaint. I just though it was interesting and wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar.

Joe,

As you may know, if you decide to replace it with another SW rain guard make sure the model is right. The FP version that is available for purchase after market will not fit a pre FP model. You would need the pre FP version.

Mike

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Given the long and effective service the rain guard has given, I would honestly feel a little embarrassed to try to solicit a free one from Swarovski. I have seen what appear to be duplicate, if not actual Swarovski versions for sale on-line for around $20 bucks. But I'll keep this one until it falls apart just to see how long that takes.

I just noticed I miss-labeled the most recent picture of the cracked rain guard above: It says Mar 23 but should say Apr 23.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back