• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curio 7x21 vs. CL 8x25 pocket (1 Viewer)

I like them both, but I have decided to just keep the Curio 7x21. The strap is just a little too short for my liking, because I like to wear binoculars bandolier style.
Does anybody have a good idea? Longer ones (preferable detachable like those of the trinovids) for sale anywhere?

I like them both, but I have decided to just keep the Curio 7x21. The strap is just a little too short for my liking, because I like to wear binoculars bandolier style.
Does anybody have a good idea? Longer ones (preferable detachable like those of the trinovids) for sale anywhere?

Sorry, can't help you with the strap question.

I opted for the Curio, too. Decided to send it back (along with returning the Pocket 8x25) because of the paint chip, but will be ordering it again it very soon, when I've decided between black and orange/silver. I hadn't previously considered orange. It will probably have the advantage of not showing fingerprints on the silver. I think the black Curio is particularly prone to that, and they seemed quite hard to wipe off - not that it's too important. And the orange colour looks quite nice, though I've not seen one in the flesh. I'll try to get a look of one before buying, as I don't want to be sending items back through the post all the time.

...will be ordering it again it very soon, when I've decided between black and orange/silver...the orange colour looks quite nice...
I really like the orange one as well, but preferring quiet appearances went with the 'invisible' black. Hope your new arrival shows up without any issues.

Check out the peak design leach.

I opted for the Curio, too. Decided to send it back (along with returning the Pocket 8x25) because of the paint chip, but will be ordering it again it very soon, when I've decided between black and orange/silver. I hadn't previously considered orange. It will probably have the advantage of not showing fingerprints on the silver. I think the black Curio is particularly prone to that, and they seemed quite hard to wipe off - not that it's too important. And the orange colour looks quite nice, though I've not seen one in the flesh. I'll try to get a look of one before buying, as I don't want to be sending items back through the post all the time.

For anyone interested, I finally chose the burnt orange Curio. Usually, for any binocular, I'm happy with green, or black if need be, and wouldn't consider other colours if they happened to also be an option. For anyone with a black Curio, it's very nice looking, of course. At first I was wary about ordering orange because I hadn't actually seen the colour except in photos and videos. I thought it might be too bright for me, which is how it looks in many videos. But on Swarovski videos and photos it comes across as a nice subdued orange, which I thought would be great, if it was accurate. I wasn't sure if Swarovski, like many companies, had altered the photos a little, in this case to give the orange more of a cool, trendy look.

Very pleased that Swarovski's videos and photos are very accurate. The orange is indeed subdued (hence the 'burnt' orange, duh). I really like it. And it doesn't show finger prints on the silver metal.

And by chance, the focus wheel also seems better and more consistent than the black Curio which I briefly had. Though the wheel on the black Curio wasn't bad at all - I'm being fussy.

On a minor point, as I said somewhere on this forum about the black Curio which I returned, the gap between the rubber casing and the eyepieces can be uneven and even at times seem quite wide. I've fixated on it a bit too much, tbh. With the orange Curio the gap is the same, and sort of uneven - but I'm getting over it, because I'm so pleased that I like the orange and silver combination.

A word of warning re the orange which I also have. They are great but the orange will mark* - two of us on the forum have suffered from this. It was almost certainly caused by the two leather parts of the strap. In the end Swarovski replaced the armour and, touch wood, no problems since having kept the leather bits and binos well apart.

*I might of course have been unlucky so perhaps I should say "may mark".

A word of warning re the orange which I also have. They are great but the orange will mark* - two of us on the forum have suffered from this. It was almost certainly caused by the two leather parts of the strap. In the end Swarovski replaced the armour and, touch wood, no problems since having kept the leather bits and binos well apart.

*I might of course have been unlucky so perhaps I should say "may mark".
Thanks. I'll think I'll only be using a wrist strap - which for me is usually a piece of cord I cut to length, believe it or not. It's worth knowing that it may mark, but if it does, in some way, I think I'll still be a fan of the colour and of the silver.

Actually, the orange blends well in the forest!
Before buying my pair of burnt orange Curios I noticed that a black pair that was a demo at a birding store where I tried them had smudges on the barrels from people handling them. Prior to that I'd been leaning toward buying a black pair.
I called Swarovski and was told the majority of Curios sold are the burnt orange color so I decided to order a pair in that color. As mentioned above, when seen in person the orange color is a muted tone of orange and not overly bright or intense. They haven't shown any smudges or finger prints from use and I've been very happy with their performance, both optically and ergonomically. They replaced a pair of 8x20 Ultravids and I have no regrets.

Before buying my pair of burnt orange Curios I noticed that a black pair that was a demo at a birding store where I tried them had smudges on the barrels from people handling them. Prior to that I'd been leaning toward buying a black pair.
I called Swarovski and was told the majority of Curios sold are the burnt orange color so I decided to order a pair in that color. As mentioned above, when seen in person the orange color is a muted tone of orange and not overly bright or intense. They haven't shown any smudges or finger prints from use and I've been very happy with their performance, both optically and ergonomically. They replaced a pair of 8x20 Ultravids and I have no regrets.
It really is a lovely color. I'm very impressed by it.

I've not seen the NL Pure in the flesh in burnt orange. It would interesting for me to see an even larger expanse of the colour and see how it looks and feels, so to speak. I recently bought a green NL Pure 8x32. No regrets, but now I'm curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back