• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Danish Woodland Webcam (2 Viewers)

I like this one, and think it has potential if it stays up till spring. It's a very attractive, 'natural-looking' scene, as if you'd just stopped to view the place on a walk. So far Jays, Magpies, Wood pigeon, Brambling, Chaffinch, Blue, Great and probable Willow Tits, Nuthatch, Robin, Blackbird.

A Yellowhammer earlier on, first one I've seen at a feeding station on camera (extreme left):

Attachments

• Yellowhammer, Danish Woodland Webcam.jpg
    Yellowhammer, Danish Woodland Webcam.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 29
Sparrowhawk attack at 12:40pm today (to the left of the tree trunk ). Lightning fast and was thought to have caught something out of frame:

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk attacks 12.40pm, Danish Forest.jpg
    Sparrowhawk attacks 12.40pm, Danish Forest.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Sparrowhawk attacks 12.40pm, Danish Forest - 2.jpg
    Sparrowhawk attacks 12.40pm, Danish Forest - 2.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 37
Crested Tit this morning. Why these birds seem to be common on the continent and remain so unusual and local in the UK is a puzzle. I have seen now Crested Tit at every webcam I watch, even snowed up Finland.

Attachments

• 31-01-2024 -Danish Forest Cam - Crested Tit.jpg
    31-01-2024 -Danish Forest Cam - Crested Tit.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 23
Crested Tit this morning. Why these birds seem to be common on the continent and remain so unusual and local in the UK is a puzzle. I have seen now Crested Tit at every webcam I watch, even snowed up Finland.
Perhaps the fact they are still around in snowed up Finland is the clue: they don't reach Britain because they don't move for anything. Makes the colonies in the Highlands even more odd.

John

Perhaps the fact they are still around in snowed up Finland is the clue: they don't reach Britain because they don't move for anything. Makes the colonies in the Highlands even more odd.

John
Could be. The Speyside group might be a relict population, a more widespread distribution having shrunk over previous centuries. I don't know what the thinking about that question is these days. All the other Tits seem to have survived changes in the environment (although Willow's status in Scotland is 'questionable' I believe). Has it, that is, Crested, ever been recorded in England in modern times?

Could be. The Speyside group might be a relict population, a more widespread distribution having shrunk over previous centuries. I don't know what the thinking about that question is these days. All the other Tits seem to have survived changes in the environment (although Willow's status in Scotland is 'questionable' I believe). Has it, that is, Crested, ever been recorded in England in modern times?
Very, very infrequently (contrasting with, for instance, Continental Coal tits which are annual during migration): there are a couple of documented records and I am aware of one probable one that followed a few days after the 1987 storm that tore across Northwestern France and South-Eastern England and ruined Michael Fish's weather forecasting reputation.

John

Very, very infrequently (contrasting with, for instance, Continental Coal tits which are annual during migration): there are a couple of documented records and I am aware of one probable one that followed a few days after the 1987 storm that tore across Northwestern France and South-Eastern England and ruined Michael Fish's weather forecasting reputation.

John
Interesting, thanks.

AFAIK only a couple of Marsh Tits and not a single Willow Tit has made it across the Irish Sea, not even the short hop from Kintyre, this century. So it seems tit species don't like to travel
Yet Blue Tits make it to Shetland. I'm surprised that the Cresties haven't spread with feeders along river valleys.

Blue Tits and Great Tits at least are pretty migratory on the continent.

Have looked at the webcam a couple of random times - absolutely nada!

It now has seed on the ground! No birds yet though ... scrub that!!! Blackbird and Blue Tits ... anyone else spotted the Caiman?

And was it chosen as a 'live stream' because it has a live stream in it?

Blue Tits and Great Tits at least are pretty migratory on the continent.

Have looked at the webcam a couple of random times - absolutely nada!
There's usually not a thing when I look. However, when I choose a random moment in the past, there's always some interesting bird. Past > present??

Plenty about today, Blackbird, Chaffinch (large nos.), Blue, Great and Willow Tits (at least two), several Jays, about a dozen Hooded Crows, Nuthatch, Pheasant. Never seen a House or Tree Sparrow here so far.

Goshawk attack 11:15 to 11:20. These two pictures show the first Goshawk arriving and returning, but just at the moment it returns on the right a second Goshawk drops down at top left and goes into the bushes behind the big tree. The first bird moves from left into these bushes at 11:17 and one of them chases the Pheasant on the ground and then in flight from 11:19 to 11:20. Best viewed at quarter-speed. It's worth the wait.

Attachments

• 2024-02-08 Goshawk arrives 11-15.jpg
    2024-02-08 Goshawk arrives 11-15.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2024-02-08 Goshawk comes back 11-17 R to L.jpg
    2024-02-08 Goshawk comes back 11-17 R to L.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back