• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decent quality, cheap tripod/head recommendation? (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Hello. I use a swarovski ctc75 draw tube scope and use it either hand held resting against something or with a monopod, this works fine most of the time and I have no intention of changing the scope as it works for me. I've previously owned various conventional field scopes but found that more often than not I'd leave them behind due to the size and weight of the scope/tripod. However once in a while I do miss a tripod, not an every day occurrence but I wondered if anyone could recommend a cheap tripod and head combo from experience, weights not a massive issue as it would only be for occasional use, sea watching etc.

Thanks in advance!

Will

Hi Will,

With the straight CTC you are going to need a tall tripod, so stability as you have already recognized, is going to involve weight.
For the occasions when I need stability and don't have to carry the tripod far, I have an old aluminium Gitzo Super Studex, and I see that there is one for sale on that auction site in the UK.
For a new purchase the Berlebach 422, Tripod Report 422 from Berlebach ® Tripods would offer the best compromise of price and stability.

John

As always it depends on your budget, secondhand can save you a bit as well. It is false economy in terms of enjoyment and ease of use to consider a flimsy unsuitable tripod system. For seawatching an alloy Manfrotto kit would be my choice, whether or not collapsed or fully extended.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back