• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

Will I need a scope for the surf scoter? Where is best to look - place/time of day?
I know this is a slightly stupid question - just wondered on the typical distances. Is it in a com/vel flock?
you might not need a scope but to get the best views, i would take it along. it has been off groyne 10-13 and if choppy further over towards exmouth, today it was on it's own.

you might not need a scope but to get the best views, i would take it along. it has been off groyne 10-13 and if choppy further over towards exmouth, today it was on it's own.

Thanks - I am on a work trip so no scope. Not knowing the area too well, but I think yo are talking about looking from Exmouth not Dawlish or is there no difference?

PS high tide tomorrow is 11ish where is a good spot if I get chance was thinking maybe BGMarsh??

Thanks - I am on a work trip so no scope. Not knowing the area too well, but I think yo are talking about looking from Exmouth not Dawlish or is there no difference?

PS high tide tomorrow is 11ish where is a good spot if I get chance was thinking maybe BGMarsh??
dawlish is not dawlish warren, exmouth is a good spot but it might be a struggle with no scope. BGM is a great spot too if stuff is close.

check the links DEVON DAWLISH WARREN

Hi Marcus,

don't know if you'll see this in time, but here's my tuppence worth anyway! ;)
If the sea's rough, then your chances of the Surf Scoter are pretty slim, and the high tide at Bowling Green is probably your best bet - the wet weather means a good chance of the Long-Billed Dowitcher showing well, plus 400 odd Avocet and lots of other stuff, often very close. If its not rough, then at the high tide the Surf Scoter may be surprisingly close in [ groynes 10 - 13 are the last 4 groynes you reach walking out along the warren ], when I saw it, it was off groyne 13, and close enough to spot with the naked eye. The estuary on the inland side also has good birds at high tide, though most'll move out of comfy bin range, you do get the odd wader come right up to the pools in front of the hide. There's also plenty to look at in the interior of the warren.

Hi Marcus,

don't know if you'll see this in time, but here's my tuppence worth anyway! ;)
If the sea's rough, then your chances of the Surf Scoter are pretty slim, and the high tide at Bowling Green is probably your best bet - the wet weather means a good chance of the Long-Billed Dowitcher showing well, plus 400 odd Avocet and lots of other stuff, often very close. If its not rough, then at the high tide the Surf Scoter may be surprisingly close in [ groynes 10 - 13 are the last 4 groynes you reach walking out along the warren ], when I saw it, it was off groyne 13, and close enough to spot with the naked eye. The estuary on the inland side also has good birds at high tide, though most'll move out of comfy bin range, you do get the odd wader come right up to the pools in front of the hide. There's also plenty to look at in the interior of the warren.

Thanks Tom - not sure which to choose now! :t:

Anyone know anything about the reported White-fronted Goose at Topsham yesterday?
Also exact location of the Firecrest at "Powderham church"?

Long-billed Dowitcher showing well from the hide at Bowling Green Marsh early afternoon. Also a Spotted Redshank there. No sign of any White-fronts! The Firecrest showed very well at Powderham church in bright sunshine at 12:45. It was at the south-east corner of the churchyard in low bushes below the fir trees. I also had 3 Green Sandpipers on Matford Pools just after midday.

Long-billed Dowitcher showing well from the hide at Bowling Green Marsh early afternoon. Also a Spotted Redshank there.
seconded terry, good views of the LBD and spotshank.

does anyone know who was sat inside the buoy filming off the viewing platform on the river clyst today?

2 Cattle Egrets with Little Egrets feeding around the red cattle in fields west of the A376 speed camera, on the approach to Exmouth, (known locally as 'Rivermead Dip') (the road that is, not the non-sightings of these birds!).

Also this morning Woodcock and 3 Common Crossbills near the top end of Squabmoor Reservoir (adjacent to East Budleigh Common).

Hi Guys,

I popped in on the Exminster woodlark field earlier today, as I was in the area, it looked like a nice lunchtime and I had nothing to rush off to.

As I entered the field I noticed the crows were going CRAZY and I saw what I thought to be a female spawk and blackbird, on the deck.

On closer look, and I had the following hour and a half to look, I witnessed the most increadible wrestle between a female peregrine and a young rook. They scrapped for over an hour and then fell silent for 15 minutes before starting up again!

Held my rapt attention for nearly two hours before I realised it was beginning to rain and I only had a polo shirt on (as well as trousers etc etc). I had to watch my fingers open the car door as my hands were so cold I could not feel a thing! But wow! I am still shaking with excitement now, shame I didn't see the stoop though...

Peregrine was left on the kill, feeding busily while the rook put in a few last struggles.

James

Hi Guys,

I popped in on the Exminster woodlark field earlier today, as I was in the area, it looked like a nice lunchtime and I had nothing to rush off to.

As I entered the field I noticed the crows were going CRAZY and I saw what I thought to be a female spawk and blackbird, on the deck.

On closer look, and I had the following hour and a half to look, I witnessed the most increadible wrestle between a female peregrine and a young rook. They scrapped for over an hour and then fell silent for 15 minutes before starting up again!

Held my rapt attention for nearly two hours before I realised it was beginning to rain and I only had a polo shirt on (as well as trousers etc etc). I had to watch my fingers open the car door as my hands were so cold I could not feel a thing! But wow! I am still shaking with excitement now, shame I didn't see the stoop though...

Peregrine was left on the kill, feeding busily while the rook put in a few last struggles.

James

James,

Don't know whether you've seen the January issue of Birdwatch, but there are some brilliant photos of a Peregrine having a similar tussle with a Common Gull. The final photo is somewhat shocking!!

Terry

PS Did you see the Water Pipits?

Nice and easy Cattle Egret to be seen in fields west of the road into Exmouth, opposite the speed camera.
Also a spotted redshank at mudbank lane today - the new cycle path is very useful for peering over the estuary, catch it on an incoming tide and it will be great for whimbrel in a few months time.

Cheers, James

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back