• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (3 Viewers)

Hi All,
I was just looking back through some old photo's and I came across these: the first I took at Start Point last year and the second, a Chick, at Berry Head last year. They could be a really obvious birds but could anyone help in identifying these birds?

Many Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 13.46.35.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 13.46.35.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 14.00.38.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 14.00.38.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I'd agree!

And this is my first post on the Devon thread as I'm due to move over to Barnstaple in the coming months. Any local ringers, birders and nest-recorders on this thread I'd love to hear from you.

Lowell

Noticed this at Westward Ho! today. A young bird and perhaps not a mallard! Anyone help with identification - many thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1663.JPG
    DSCF1663.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1670.JPG
    DSCF1670.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF1681 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1681 - Copy.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1673 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1673 - Copy.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Eider in same position today by the rock pool area. Thanks to Jon and Rafael for identification. We enjoyed your Flickr pictures Rafael.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm from Newcastle an I'm currently staying in brixham for the next few days.

I know exact locations won't be revealed but does anyone know if there are any peregrines knocking around anywhere along the coast ?

At the minute I'm right near st Mary's bay, but spending another 10 days around Devon I just havnt decided where yet !

Thanks

Hi Stevie2011. I'd guess your best chance is in the Froward Point / Kingswear direction. But I expect you've guessed that. You should catch up with them OK: they're pretty active at the moment with mouths to feed.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info I will definitely add Plymouth to my list of places to stay after brixham and Torquay, do you know a post code of street name for Satnav to take me to the cann quarry ?

Cheers for the info I will definitely add Plymouth to my list of places to stay after brixham and Torquay, do you know a post code of street name for Satnav to take me to the cann quarry ?

Neil ... Not sure if anyone has sent you a PM, but if not then www.stuartlinecruises.co.uk is worth looking at for birdwatching/wildlife trips from and around the Exe area. Also my brother-in-law has also been on one from Paignton Harbour, advertised through the Devon Bird News site.

Hope this helps.

Andy R.

Hi Guys,

Could anybody clarify the details of the one that goes out of Paignton Harbour for me - tried looking on the Devon Bird News website w/o any luck so far :(

Thanks

Other than Berry Head are there any other spots near Paignton worth a wander with the Bins? I was out on a boat trip today across the bay but didn't see much other than various gulls and cormorants. I'm short for time, apparently I have to get ready for m sister in laws wedding, darned inconvenient if you ask me :)

Dawlish sea wall.
10 Great crested grebe
1 Slavonian grebe
2 Great northern divers
Many Gannets offshore
1 upturned boat stuck in the sand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back