• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disagreement (1 Viewer)

ScottishBirder

THE HUNGRY BIRDER
Hey guys I was in Cairns innQueensland Australia when I snapped this wader. I thought a Dunlin ( Caldris alpina ) but was told it was a Curlew Sandpiper, I have since shown it to others and half says Dunlin and half day Curlew Dand. What do you all think ?? It still looks like a Dunlin to me but now not sure. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• E1ADD416-A99C-4724-8AD2-E681EF89ED0B.jpeg
    E1ADD416-A99C-4724-8AD2-E681EF89ED0B.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 270
Well, how big was it compared to the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers? If it was a similar size then you have a Curlew Sandpiper. If it is the next size down then it could be a Dunlin. You don't happen to have a flight shot of it do you? That would id it in a heartbeat.

But since Cairns has thousands of Curlew Sandpipers and there have only ever been 2 confirmed records of Dunlin in Australia and your photo is a dead ringer for a Curlew Sandpiper, the balance of probabilities says it's a Curlew Sandpiper.

There was allot of Curlew Sandpipers but this one screamed Dunlin to me, the lack of supercillium and the fact it looked different from the rest made me think Dunlin. I have posted it on wader ID sites and most are saying Dunlin except Australian birders who all say Curlew Sand.

Curlew Sandpiper for me.

The legs (tibia) look a bit too long for Dunlin, colours are a bit greyer (less brown), the supercilium is fairly clear in front of the eye and the bill is towards the long end for a Dunlin (assuming it would be an east Asian bird). I think the Dunlin-like appearance arises partly because it is very hunched for a Curlew Sand and it is standing in water, making the legs look shorter.

The balance of probability really does favour Curlew Sandpiper in Australia. Dunlin typically winter a lot further north, but Curlew sand are very numerous there.

As others have said, greyer, proportionally longer bill, primary projection all support Curlew Sandpiper, even before we apply Occam's razor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah starting to think aling they lines now but allot of experienced birds saying Caldris alpina, as I seen allot of CS that same place beside this one and they all looked like CS to me I will just leave this one as too many people disagree lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back