• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Discolouration and rusty hinges on Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

Is all the carping here indigenous to this forum and I can go ahead and drop the $2,600 for this glass without fear; or are the new SF's actually buggy in their initial production as alleged by some users?

Well, I can just speak from my own experiences. I have had my 10X42 SF for over two months and use it every day, and have zero problems. I also know three people that have Zeiss SF binoculars and they have had zero problems. Finally, I saw a display model last week for the first time and it had zero problems.

It is the nature of forums to post problems for all brands so use your best judgment if there is a real issue or not. I gave it six months and decided issues with this model are no worse than any of the others. You can reduce your concerns if you buy from a vendor with a good return policy so you can check it out for yourself. Also buy from a manufacturer with a good written warranty. The USA warranty for the Zeiss SF is a transferable lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship, and they have a five year no fault policy to the original owner.

I personally have no concerns about the quality of my purchase because first, I can find nothing wrong with it, and second, I have confidence if I problem should come up, Zeiss will take care of it. It has been an exceptional product and I thoroughly enjoy using it.

Well, I can just speak from my own experiences. I have had my 10X42 SF for over two months and use it every day, and have zero problems. I also know three people that have Zeiss SF binoculars and they have had zero problems. Finally, I saw a display model last week for the first time and it had zero problems.

It is the nature of forums to post problems for all brands so use your best judgment if there is a real issue or not. I gave it six months and decided issues with this model are no worse than any of the others. You can reduce your concerns if you buy from a vendor with a good return policy so you can check it out for yourself. Also buy from a manufacturer with a good written warranty. The USA warranty for the Zeiss SF is a transferable lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship, and they have a five year no fault policy to the original owner.

I personally have no concerns about the quality of my purchase because first, I can find nothing wrong with it, and second, I have confidence if I problem should come up, Zeiss will take care of it. It has been an exceptional product and I thoroughly enjoy using it.
A display model wouldn't have any of these problems. It hasn't been used. I wonder if High North uses his Zeiss in such a way that exposes it to more wear. How could you explain all the problems. This is about the third report of the staining so I think that is a problem that might be associated with vicinity to salt water or the ocean. How many people have rinsed their binoculars off with water. That could have caused the rusting on the hinges. High North lives next to the ocean correct. Salt spray could play a role also in the rusting hinges and the stain. I noticed the other members who complained of staining were from Cornwall and West Sussex which are by the ocean also. Things don't rust in Arizona.

Last edited:
The Swaro folks all think these SF problems are indicative of the quality of the model [they may yet be], yet loudly and repeatedly pooh-pooh any reported Swaro focus problem or glare problem or RB problem as a ''non-issues.''

I've been hard on Zeiss for quality issues in the past but it is tiresome to see the same brigade jump on the same threads with the same comments, usually with some indirect remark about how great their Swarovski's are.......

I personally think all of the alpha makers really need to step up quality to be in line with the prices they charge.

A display model wouldn't have any of these problems. It hasn't been used. ..........

On the contrary, a display model can get a lot of use, especially a new model like the SF where there is a high level of curiosity. A good number of store employees checked it out right from the beginning. Customers have been checking it out after that.

My response to Dwever was generic in nature, not about the two particular issues raised by High North. However, if there is an across the board problem with staining, you would think it would readily show up in a display unit were it is handled by multiple people using different antibacterial soaps, different hand lotions, different sun screens, different body chemistries, etc. My initial thought is the armor supplier ended up with a bad batch of material. It would be interesting to know if those units with the problem were made during the same time frame and have armor from the same batch. I checked the armor of mine again today under sunlight and there is no staining.

On the contrary, a display model can get a lot of use, especially a new model like the SF where there is a high level of curiosity. A good number of store employees checked it out right from the beginning. Customers have been checking it out after that.

My response to Dwever was generic in nature, not about the two particular issues raised by High North. However, if there is an across the board problem with staining, you would think it would readily show up in a display unit were it is handled by multiple people using different antibacterial soaps, different hand lotions, different sun screens, different body chemistries, etc. My initial thought is the armor supplier ended up with a bad batch of material. It would be interesting to know if those units with the problem were made during the same time frame and have armor from the same batch. I checked the armor of mine again today under sunlight and there is no staining.
I really don't think a display model is going to be subject to the same kind of use that a birding binocular is. The birding binocular is probably going to be exposed to all kinds of environmental changes and stresses like sun and cold and rain and exposed to environmental pollutants. Some people handling it and sitting in the display case is not the same. I am thinking the premature rust and stain on High North's binoculars might be caused by the salt air coastal environment he lives in. If you have ever lived by the ocean you know how corrosive the salt air can be and how easily things rust. An automobile will rust out from the inside out just from being NEAR the ocean. The three people that have complained about staining on their Zeiss SF's have all lived in coastal salt air environments and I would bet that the rusty hinges on High North's binoculars were caused from the salt air. Arizona where you live does not experience this rust problem with it's dry climate. Maybe the armour on the Zeiss SF's were not tested in these kind of environments. A high humidity climate could also play a part in the staining. Again your climate is dry.

I suppose this rust issue will be resolved after he gets the binocular back from Zeiss.

I wonder how long that will take?

Bob

A display model wouldn't have any of these problems. It hasn't been used...........

I really don't think a display model is going to be subject to the same kind of use that a birding binocular is. .........

Umm, I see your position on the display unit has changed from "It hasn't been used" to a display model is not going to be subject to the same kind of use. Nice dance step there!

........... .. I am thinking the .... stain on High North's binoculars might be caused by the salt air coastal environment he lives in........... Arizona where you live does not experience this rust problem with it's dry climate. Maybe the armour on the Zeiss SF's were not tested in these kind of environments. A high humidity climate could also play a part in the staining. Again your climate is dry.

Could be. I do not know, but I am curious to ultimately find out. We do not have a salt air environment but we do have a lot of sweaty hands this time of year with a 100+ degrees F temps. Sweat has a high salt content so the SF armor is exposed to salt from sweating hands yet the five AZ units I have knowledge of have no staining. The air here is dry compared to the east coast but this is the moist time of year and the single digit humidity figures are gone for awhile. It is humid enough so your skin and hands to not dry off right away. At this point, it appears to be a limited cosmetic issue.

I suppose this rust issue will be resolved after he gets the binocular back from Zeiss.

I wonder how long that will take?

Bob

High North ..... Did you send your binocular back? I do not recall reading that. If so, I hope you get an explanation.

High North ..... Did you send your binocular back? I do not recall reading that. If so, I hope you get an explanation.

No, I have not sent the binoculars back this time, and I think I won't. This is just a cosmetic issue that does not bother me much. I could probably remove the rust/stains with citric acid/toothpaste, like some other poster did.

HN

A display model wouldn't have any of these problems. It hasn't been used. I wonder if High North uses his Zeiss in such a way that exposes it to more wear. How could you explain all the problems. This is about the third report of the staining so I think that is a problem that might be associated with vicinity to salt water or the ocean. How many people have rinsed their binoculars off with water. That could have caused the rusting on the hinges. High North lives next to the ocean correct. Salt spray could play a role also in the rusting hinges and the stain. I noticed the other members who complained of staining were from Cornwall and West Sussex which are by the ocean also. Things don't rust in Arizona.

Dennis

Salt air was the first thing I thought of too.

We spend a lot of time next to the sea and the salt in the air ate through the central hinge pin of my wife's Leicas (not her Ultravids, her Trinnies) and it split in two during servicing.

Did I create a fuss on BF about Leicas? Of course not.

Lee

Dennis

Salt air was the first thing I thought of too.

We spend a lot of time next to the sea and the salt in the air ate through the central hinge pin of my wife's Leicas (not her Ultravids, her Trinnies) and it split in two during servicing.

Did I create a fuss on BF about Leicas? Of course not.

Lee

Lee

I think that the Trinovids hinge pin is stainless steel and the Ultravids is titanium. Stated in their literature as "weight saving." Is that correct?

Bob

The 10x42 HD Conquest is a great binocular, at least the one I use.
As soon as I handled it the rubber armour showed finger marks. No stains.
It does not bother me one iota.

I bought a book last week with a black cover.
As soon as you touch it it is marked. Crazy choice of finish.

Lee

I think that the Trinovids hinge pin is stainless steel and the Ultravids is titanium. Stated in their literature as "weight saving." Is that correct?

Bob

Hi Bob

I was talking about my wife's 1976 Leitz Trinovid, not any of the current range, apologies for not making that clear.

I don't know about the materials used in the current models, but statements such as 'stainless steel' aren't really that informative. As has been pointed out elsewhere they should be called stain-resisting, but its a bit too late to get rid of the more impressive 'stainless' tag. Commonly used grades range from AISI 430 type (Werkstoff 1.4016) with around 18% chromium and no nickel, to the stuff cutlery is made of ie AISI 304 type (Werkstoff 1.4301) containing the classic 18% Cr and 8% nickel, to much more resistant AISI 316 type (Werkstoff 1.4401) which adds some molybdenum to the mix for additional resistance to corrosion. Plus there are many other grades and special compositions for special applications.

Lee

Umm, I see your position on the display unit has changed from "It hasn't been used" to a display model is not going to be subject to the same kind of use. Nice dance step there!

Could be. I do not know, but I am curious to ultimately find out. We do not have a salt air environment but we do have a lot of sweaty hands this time of year with a 100+ degrees F temps. Sweat has a high salt content so the SF armor is exposed to salt from sweating hands yet the five AZ units I have knowledge of have no staining. The air here is dry compared to the east coast but this is the moist time of year and the single digit humidity figures are gone for awhile. It is humid enough so your skin and hands to not dry off right away. At this point, it appears to be a limited cosmetic issue.
I am curious also about this staining problem also. Does it come from the environment or as you say sweaty hands. Let us know if you experience any staining on you Zeiss SF's. It is really weird.

The 10x42 HD Conquest is a great binocular, at least the one I use.
As soon as I handled it the rubber armour showed finger marks. No stains.
It does not bother me one iota.

I bought a book last week with a black cover.
As soon as you touch it it is marked. Crazy choice of finish.
Yes. Kind of like a grease stain huh? Hard to remove though. Just part of using them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back