• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Domestics, escapees and hybrids- oh my! (W Michigan, USA) (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
Alright, is Chunky the giant goose a domestic escapee as well as his buddy the white duck? And what's with the white-faced Canada Goose? I think it's a hybrid, but with what? And the Mallard, is he a hybrid, or is he just messed up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 101_0033.JPG
    101_0033.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 101_0037.JPG
    101_0037.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0051dxfghxd.JPG
    101_0051dxfghxd.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 96
Hi Daddylion,

The Canada goose in number one looks like a canada with some partial albinism or leucisim. Althought maybe there could be a mix with something else but I wouldn't be able to pick it up.

The second picture looks very much like a drake mallard I saw in eclipse plumage last year.

Lastly that is a domestic greylag goose with some farmyard ducks aka not wild.

-Matt

If that was all at the same lake, the domestic greylag might even be the parent of the hybrid Domestic greylag x Canada goose.

Increased amount of white in the face is quite common in hybrids domestic greylag x canada.

Ok thanks! Not that this applies to this case, but how do you go about adding hybrids to your life list? Say you have a Canada Goose x Snow Goose hybrid, and an Snow Goose would be a lifer? Would you add Snow Goose to your life list or not? And say you have a lifer x lifer hybrid, which or both or neither would you add?

Thanks!

It would be your list , so you can do as you like.

Personally,
I wouldn´t add a hybrid snow x canada as a snow (it is only 50% snow),
i´d put it on a "hybrids" list.

Agreed with Joern, I wouldn't add it to my list just like I didn't add a dead swamp sparrow to my list (different circumstance I know) but it is your list.

OK thanks, I'll be a little stricter about what I add to my life list. (I've had to go back and take off a few "unsure" ones, just to keep it real.)

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back